Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-27-2012, 3:43 PM Reply   
I just got an HTC Incredible. I am wondering what everyone's take is on phone insurance. Get it in case I trash my phone or is it a rip off?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-27-2012, 4:16 PM Reply   
Waste of money. Havent used it on any of my blackberries or iphones.
Old     (Sethjoe)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-27-2012, 7:40 PM Reply   
I use geek squad insurance. 10 bucks a month but 0 deductible. Only thing it doesn't cover is lost phone. I have had my Evo replaced twice this year with a cracked screen and I'll definitely use them for my next phone.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-27-2012, 8:38 PM Reply   
Not a waste IMO. I have used insurance 5 different times in the past 3 years. 2x on my sons phone, 2x on my daughters phone and once on mine. each time $50 and a new phone the next day. Asurion is the group we deal with thru Verizon and we have had nothing but great service from them.

Reasons we needed insurance:
Son - dropped in pool , lost his phone
Daughter - dropped in toilet (clean water, lol ) , lost phone
Mine - Stolen

even with 4 of those incidents being our own fault they replace them with no questions asked and a $50 copay.

Your other option if any of these happened is to just find a used or reconditioned phone on Craigslist or Ebay.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-27-2012, 10:43 PM Reply   
Well TMobile and my wife's phone crapping out... Trouble shot even with a replacement from the store and it's still doing the same thing. Find out the Batt was over heated and we pay $14 a month for insurance. Come to find out we have to make a insurance claim to the carrier and it's $150 deductible to get a new BATT. WTF we have paid $14 for over a year so 12x14 is 168 of un spent money and they stiff wanted us to pay the $150 DED for a $40 Batt. I went to an after market shop and got a Batt for $20 and forgot about the rest. Never once when we agreed to the insurance they talked about a DED. F'n joke IMHO!!!
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-28-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
The reason I am asking is I just switched from T-horrible to Verizon. I have 14 days to get insurance through Asurion. I think the deductible is $150. E Dub, how did you get the $50 deduct? I'm thinking about getting insurance just for the fact I don't want to pay retail for a replacement phone if I break mine.

BTW, T-Mobile can jump off a high bridge into really shallow water. I nor my family will EVER do business with them.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-28-2012, 8:55 AM Reply   
Sorry I should have clarified...i have no one else on my account to worry about how they treat their phones. I know how i care for my stuff and i dont keep phones more than a yr anyways.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2012, 11:05 AM Reply   
I have it on all of our phones and have had to use it quite a few times. I wouldn't have one of these expensive phones without it. I take very good care of my stuff but weird accidents happen. I need to file a claim on my Nexus, it was in my pocket and rang, I went to pull it out and it cought on the corner of my pocket, fell out of my hand and cracked the screen. My wife once had hers in her cup holder in her car which is a very common place for people to put them. She'd had a drink in there previously and the condensation pooled at the bottom and it ruined her phone.

Assurian has been good to us, no hassles and very quick turn around. The deductable verys from phone to phone depending on cost of the phone.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-28-2012, 12:51 PM Reply   
It depends on the insurance.. I have had good and bad experiences. Make sure there is no or a very low deductible and the policy covers water damage. Also make sure they will replace the damaged phone with the same model or better (no exception).

I don't think it's worth it once the phone is over a year old or you are out of contract.

I had AT&T insurance and found it was waste of money the hard way. I now have the Best Buy insurance and have used it twice for my IPhone with no problems. My wife and I have the same phone and basically have two phones insured for the price of one because they don't track what phone is actually covered. I was skeptical, but it worked.
Old     (WaterBullDawg)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-28-2012, 8:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegermaster View Post
The reason I am asking is I just switched from T-horrible to Verizon. I have 14 days to get insurance through Asurion. I think the deductible is $150. E Dub, how did you get the $50 deduct? I'm thinking about getting insurance just for the fact I don't want to pay retail for a replacement phone if I break mine.

BTW, T-Mobile can jump off a high bridge into really shallow water. I nor my family will EVER do business with them.
I switched my family from TMO to Verizon BC of "The Network". What a load of crap. Its bigger, but BARELY. Call quality is horrid. I knew it would be worse but didn't expect this bad. And the internet with TMO was just as fast as Verizon's LTE. I did get the insurance on mine and my wife's phone though. I believe it is $7 a month and a $150 deductible. These are our only phones so I cannot go without.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-29-2012, 10:12 PM Reply   
Go to Best Buy and get geek squad protection for $10 a month. No deductible. No limit on replacements. Verizon/Asurion will drop your coverage after two claims in a 12month period. Also they charge a huge deductible.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-30-2012, 6:46 AM Reply   
Best Buy will cover anyone on any carrier? Or do you have to get your phone through them?

Thanks for all the help.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-30-2012, 7:38 AM Reply   
it's a rip. Minimum deductable is $100 and you can probably get it fixed at a local shop (ubreakifix is the store around here) cheaper than that and if you have the phone more than a year you can probably upgrade to a new one for only $200. That's my experience with the Gallaxy 4S