Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (oldgirl)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-29-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
http://videos.wakeboardingmag.com/members/viewVideo.php?video_id=1192&title=Women_s_Masters_ Nationals_2008

I am trying a link to mywake.tv, don't know if it will work.
The video is ruff, but it has everyone's pass except Jen (very sorry).
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-29-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
Didn't work for me :-(
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-29-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
It worked for me once I signed in. Thanks for putting that together, Allison!
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-29-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
Are you calling us fat?! :-)

Nice video! Now I want to see worlds. I watched worlds on the webcast but to music would be even better.
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-29-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
Great job Allison
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-30-2008, 6:41 PM Reply   
cool video!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-30-2008, 9:49 PM Reply   
Nice job....thanks.
Old     (karen_streeter)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-01-2008, 4:44 PM Reply   
Hi Ladies!

Hey, I'm new to this post, but I'm SO impressed with the ladies who competed in the Women's Masters event.

I totally would like to start competing -- I watched the video you posted -- thanks for the inspiration! I'm 33 and think this would be fun.

I live up in Washington, and there are several competitions around here.

But, can you explain to me how these events work? Do you get a couple of passes, and a set period of time or something to show off what you can do? Is there a scoring system based on the various elements of your ride? Do you tell the driver how fast you want to be towed and what the wake setting should be? Sorry for so many questions....

Thanks much!

KLS
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-01-2008, 9:10 PM Reply   
Karen,

Welcome to a wonderful division! I encourage you to get involve in the events in your area to get a feel for what they are about and how they flow.

Generally the grass roots events follow either the INT or WWA guidelines. INT is a point per trick system were each trick is assigned a value. WWA is based on 3 categories: Composition (what you do), Execution (how you do it) and intensity (how big & stylish you do it). All categories are weighted equally to come up with a final score. Each rider, under either governing body, is generally given 1 pass (up and back) with a two or three fall limit. Since each boat is a little different, I typically rely on the driver to pick the speed and all riders in a division ride with the same weight.

Hopefully that helps you. I encourage you to email the clubs that put on the contests in your area since the rules can vary dramatically for grass roots events.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-01-2008, 10:36 PM Reply   
Welcome Karen....CC is right on. She runs the Arizona tournaments (does an awesome job too) Although both INT and WWA run the contests differently, the more contests you ride in, the more comfortable you will be doing it. Above all else remember.....Have Fun!!!
Old     (karen_streeter)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-03-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
thanks!

I checked our local INT, and they don't have a women's master's division in Oregon or Washington. Is that typical? I'm not real keen on competing against the guys.

There's a little local comp next weekend up in my area, it's not INT or WWA, but put on by our local wakeboarding pro shop at their lesson facility. If it's not pouring rain, I'll probably go and check it out.

Are any of you anywhere down in Southern California? I'm headed down there at the end of the month and if anyone is around it would be fun to meet you. I have two days on my own in the Malibu area.

Cheers!

KLS
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-03-2008, 10:34 AM Reply   
Karen,

Master's women is very new. To the best of my knowledge, Canyon Lake Wakeboard Club may have been the first to start it and one of the only to incorporate it into its normal contest offering. With the success of the division at CLWC, Geri approached the WWA and, with our support, got it added to Nationals and Worlds.

FYI - INT does have women's divisions (beginners, intermediate) so you shouldn't have to compete against the men.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-03-2008, 10:19 PM Reply   
Karen...I don't think you will find the division anywhere else....at least I have not heard of any other clubs having it. Our club (Canyon Lake) has been the first to start both Super Vets (men and women 50+) and Women's Masters (30+). The more mature women wanted their own division separate from teenage riders so the division was started. I saw a vision for this to grow into something bigger and with the support of the other ladies, the division was created and successful. It was the largest division at our club the first year it ran. I hope to see twice the number of riders at Nationals next year. We even had a lady from Japan enter the division at Worlds. I have to thank all the ladies this year....CC, Liz, Kat, Jen, Annie, and Allison for making this possible. Thanks for sharing the same vision.....and having fun too!!! You ladies are the best!!!!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-03-2008, 10:20 PM Reply   
Karen....I am in So Cal....I will PM you
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-01-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
Karen-just want to let you know what a blast I had last week.. I am so glad you came down I really enjoyed riding with you, Sean and Paul. But the best was at Pepe's for dinner...I had so much fun. As soon as I pick up the vest, I will send you the photos and vids too. Hope you can make it back down soon. Let me know when you come again...maybe when you deliver some trees?}