Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    jimmydager101            05-18-2004, 6:52 PM Reply   
Hey,
I have problems maintaining speed with my 90 horsepower outboard motor on a 16 foot bayliner(not exactly an ideal wakeboarding boat). Anyways, once I get up to speed, I can keep it to within 1-2 miles an hour. The problem is that some of my friends who haven't driven my boat much can't keep it within 5 miles an hour. This makes it very difficult to get a consistent run. Do you guys have any suggestions? I know perfect pass would be a godsend but I cant afford it right now. Any ideas, please let me know.
Thanks,
Jimmy
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-18-2004, 6:55 PM Reply   
Perfect Pass is the only option you have, it is the best!
Old    jimmydager101            05-18-2004, 6:57 PM Reply   
another question, will perfect pass work on an 90 horsepower outboard? also, where are the cheapest places you have seen it listed
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-18-2004, 6:59 PM Reply   
i don't know if it will work on a outboard, call PP and ask them, or just take to your local dealer.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-18-2004, 8:22 PM Reply   
I don't think PP will work on an outboard, there is no place for the servo motor.

Local wakeboard boat dealer in Manhattan!

I have seen PP as cheap as $1000.
Old    rickybarns            05-18-2004, 8:44 PM Reply   
Have you considered lower pitch prop? It will hold speed better and be easier to fine tune speed. You will lose top-end speed and with 90hp, you may not have much to sacrifice. How important is top-end speed and is wakeboarding the primary use of the boat? PP is is a good solution and probably the most expensive. I would look to more economical solutions to the problem. Or, take the $$ for PP along with the Bayliner and trade in for a boat thats up to the task. One more suggestion - ride as a passenger when not on the board and coach your back-up driver instead of taking the wheel everytime your in the boat. It's tough because you want to give everyone a perfect ride, but then your ride sucks. After all it is your d*mn boat and your entitled to a decent ride. I completely surrender the helm to my wife when the boards come out and enjoy the ride. She doesn't ride so everyone gets the same pull - maybe not as good a driver as me, but when it's my turn on the board, I end up with a much better run. I enjoy nice long runs on the water 'cause after all it's my d*mn boat.
Old    grampawakerider            05-18-2004, 9:18 PM Reply   
I agree with Ricky. Don't do anymore driving. Let your "other" driver do it all. I had the same prob with my boat. Also a Bayliner but a 190hp i/o. My other drivers never really did get the hang of it cuz all my riders wanted me to do the driving. I gave up and installed PP. Now I get good pulls too. You have to be persistent on having others do all the driving b-cuz you probably know as well as I do that it takes a good feel for the boat to give a consistent pull.
Old    jimmydager101            05-18-2004, 9:48 PM Reply   
Hey Ricky,
Top end speed means absolutly nothing to me. As long as the boat will go about 22 mph I am satasified. My problem is that is got a super good deal on the boat and so I don't think that I can afford to trade it in for a different one (97 bayliner 16 foot in absolute mint condition for 4 thousand two years ago). I also just got done installing a monster tower and speakers and would hate to have to trade the boat in. Your idea of coaching the driver is a good idea, I guess I have just been too worried about everyone else enjoying themselves and not worried enough about me having a good time. My problem is that I have a number of friends that drive my boat and so I would have to teach all of them. Thanks and keep the suggestions comming.
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-18-2004, 9:50 PM Reply   
time for a new boat
Old    tigejohn21i            05-19-2004, 7:55 AM Reply   
I was pulling in a friends I/O. I noticed that at 20 mph it wants to plane which makes it go faster... what I would do, when I noticed the boat start to plane, I'd drop the throttle slightly for a split second putting it right back where it was, that stops the planing action for about another 30 seconds.. keep doing it as the boat want to plane... or.. buy a PP (which would do the same thing I'm describing automatically)