Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-28-2003, 6:52 AM Reply   
Hey guys i know i talked about perfect pass alittle in the I/O wakes thread but i still have questions...I am wondering how much perfect pass will help out on my 190HP, 4.3L, V6 bayliner, and if it would be a good investment. I was wondering if the speed would still bog down a little when i am riding and cut out hard....any suggestions? experience??
Old    bobbymucic            03-28-2003, 7:39 AM Reply   
I have pp on a merc 4.3 carb w/ an alpha drive on a 19 ft runabout. I run a 19 pitch hi-5 as well.

PP will definately help you out. As far as a propeller, I would suggest an aluminum 4 blade, 20 pitch.

I purchased it directly from PP, and I installed it myself.

I can provide you with photos of the actual servo mounting an linkage to the carb in a week or so...

Bobby
Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-28-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
hey Bobby, thanks alot..I would like those pics it you can post them.
Call me retarted but what does hi5 mean?
Also how do you weight your boat when there are a couple of passengers? how much do you have in the front?
Why a 4 blade 20 pitch prop???
Old    bobbymucic            03-28-2003, 11:38 AM Reply   
Mercury makes a stainless steel, 5 bladed propeller. Actually the High-five It is expensive at ~400.

I have run other propellers in the past, such as 3 blades alum, and 4 blade composite (Pirhana). I think a 4 blade aluminum is a good compromise in price and durability.

You probably have a 3 blade aluminum, 21 pitch (maybe 23?) on drive now. Moving to a four blade will make it easier to hold speed, but it will likely take a few mph off your top speed.

Here are some of my experiences
23picth 3 blade, top speed 53 mph horrible for skiing and boarding, takes a long time to plane.

21 pitch 3 blade, much better in planning time, top speed of 50.
20 pitch four blade pirhana ("plastic" with replaceable blades). good planning, top end of 47. But I think it is not as durable..I suspect blades broke from normal wear and tear.

19 pitch high five get the boat on plane quickly, but my top speed is only 44 mph (the motor reaches redline).

As for weight, my boat works much better with weight in the front. I tend to have ~250 lbs fatsac in the bow walkway, with 2 people in the bow as well. I also put a ~250 lb bag in the ski locker. Weight in the back doesn't help my out..it causes too much bow rise.
Old    jmccallum            03-28-2003, 11:42 AM Reply   
Bobby,
I'm considering a four blade Pirhana for my 18' Four Winns I/O.

What was your experience with Pirhana?
Old    redden            03-28-2003, 12:10 PM Reply   
ya, I have one on my 4 winns and it works great. Nice to just change out blades when damaged.
Old    bobbymucic            03-28-2003, 12:29 PM Reply   
I used a piranha for almost 2 years (~200 hours of engine time). In terms of performance, I thought it was a great propeller.

My reservations on the propeller come from my experience of blades breaking on two occasions where I don't think anything struck the propeller. I assume that the blades became weak and simple broke off under load. On one of the occasions a blade broke just as I was pulling someone up.

Also, I don't think blade changing is that easy. They get stuck in there pretty good. Just my opinion.

Old    jmccallum            03-28-2003, 12:31 PM Reply   
Are the Aluminums better than the Pirhanas?
Old    bobbymucic            03-28-2003, 12:43 PM Reply   
I wouldn't say that they are better. But If I buy another prop, it will be an alum 4 blade. I think they are a good deal.

I don't think too many other people have experienced what I have with prihana props breaking.

You'll have to be the judge
Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-28-2003, 12:47 PM Reply   
Bobby,
That is what i was having problems with: plaining time and holding speed. I am thinking of a 4 blade 19 or 20 pitch alumium prop. What do you think?
Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-28-2003, 12:49 PM Reply   
oh and, top boat speed isnt really a big deal too me, I just wakeboard around 20-22mph..
Old    jmccallum            03-28-2003, 12:53 PM Reply   
Thanks for your input
Old    bobbymucic            03-28-2003, 1:35 PM Reply   
What are you running now?

Even without that information, I think that if you change to a 19 or 20 p 4 blade, you will plane faster, and be able to hold speed better ~20 mph. But it won't hold speed as well as perfect pass.

Without pp, or when I forget to turn in on, the speed control requires that I make check and adjust (really hard to make those tiny movements in the throttle!) every 30 seconds or so? When I used a 21p 3 blade, it was practically impossible to keep a consistent speed below 22.

When you talk to marinas and shops, they will usually tell you that you often have to experiment to find the prop that works best for you. Some shops "demo" props.
Check out http://www.kenyonpowerboats.com
http://www.kenyonpowerboats.com/alpha1.htm

I think they had a very good exchange policy on propellers.

The best thing I found for getting the boat on plane faster is to keep weight in the front. I recently put some weight under the very front bow seat. I haven't tried that out yet.