Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old                08-21-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
So I just upgraded from my old HI-8 video camera to a Canon ZR600 digital tape (sorry if I don't use the right terminoligy sometimes) camera so I can video some wakeboarding. When buying the camera I was looking for simplicity into transforming to DVD. The sales guy told me it was a plug and play and should be very simple to do. So I video a bunch of good footage this weekend, come home, download the software and when trying to download my computer wont detect the camera via either USB port. Any input would be greatly apreciated but please speak slowly. I don't know a lot about cameras and even less about computers. Thanks in advance.
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-21-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
You probably need a firewire connection to download video. The USB is for still photos on my camera. IEEE 1394 is the technical term for firewire.

Daniel
Old                08-21-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
It's time to RTFM (read the fine manual, page 79)

Upload
Old                08-21-2006, 2:47 PM Reply   
I think I get it now. firewire=DVD and USB=stills
Thanks again I'll give it a try. Bobthomas I know the F doesn't stand for fine. But in my case it might as well stand for stupid. Now looking closer I see the difference in cable.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-21-2006, 7:48 PM Reply   
You can transfer both stills and video either over FireWire (IEEE 1394) or USB. Whichever interfaces both your camera and computer support should work (refer to manual if unsure what your hardware is capable of).

Most Windows PCs come with USB (USB2 these days), some also include FireWire. Macs come with both, I believe.

If still having trouble, post your computer model (Dell Dimension 4800, Apple iMac G5, etc) and operating system version.

Check this FAQ out (I've never used their software, but the discussion is very accessible): http://www.jellypie.co.uk/video_editing_faq/video_editing_faq.htm
Old                08-21-2006, 8:19 PM Reply   
"You can transfer both stills and video either over FireWire (IEEE 1394) or USB."

That's incorrect.

You cannot transfer video from a ZR600 to a computer using USB(1 or 2).
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-22-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
Thanks for quoting me out of context, Bob.
Old     (fredrik_of_sweden)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2006, 7:59 AM Reply   
My experience tells me that firewire is th best
www.foamproductions.net