Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-16-2005, 2:40 PM Reply   
A while ago, I saw Cliff Griffin's thread on Body for Life. Just so happened, I had just read the book and got into it too. After my dad and I spent some time together going to the Detroit Auto Show, his interest was peaked about the program.

He ended up deciding that the BFL program wasn't exactly for him, but he devised a strength, cardio and diet program that worked for him. The result? He's lost 36 lbs in 2005! One of the things he wanted to do this summer was try wakesurfing again. He tried last year, but he said it was too difficult to bend over to get started. Now that he's a lean wakeboarding machine, he wanted to try it again.

Well, today we went out on the first really nice day of the year. Larkin, Jeff and I. I got to surf a little while. Then Larkin gave it a go. Finally, my dad got out there. Much to everyone's delight, he got up and rode great!

After growing up in Southern California, he told me that he always wanted to surf. And now, even though he had to come to Tennessee to learn it, he's surfing! He's 57 and he kicks butt.

Here are a couple pics of Jeff and Larkin (who threw the handle back in for the first time).

And now Larkin...

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-16-2005, 11:24 PM Reply   
Awesome
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       04-17-2005, 4:42 AM Reply   
u guys are looking good! where's the football action? i'm not changing jobs, so i'll be around for some serious riding this summer. i'm looking forward to hooking up with you guys.
Old    larkin            04-17-2005, 11:52 AM Reply   
look forward to it as well chuck.
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-18-2005, 8:59 AM Reply   
that's great. hopefully i'll see you guys out there sometime. you know it's easier to surf toeside though.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-18-2005, 9:43 AM Reply   
yeah, you guys are surfing backside. That's tough! Try weighting the boat on the other side and surfing it that way. You'll find out that you're really REALLY good.
Old     (djhuff)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-18-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
Was thinking the same thing
Old    larkin            04-18-2005, 2:09 PM Reply   
That's what I hear and funny you guys mention that, the pictures were taken after we had drained the left sack, filled up the right to try toeside only to find that the wake wasn't adequate enough so we had to go back to backside. That meant draining the right and filling up the left....ahhh the things we do to have a good time.

Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-18-2005, 2:24 PM Reply   
It looks like you guys live in a great spot...where exactly are you in TN?
Old    larkin            04-18-2005, 2:34 PM Reply   
Knoxville....we are usually in Fort Loudon Lake, specifically Turkey Creek and yes, it is a great spot. If you get there early enough and the wind is down, it is very nice riding.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-18-2005, 2:34 PM Reply   
doesn't a supra have the same prop rotation as a malibu or mastercraft? in which case you'd want to drain the right side, fill the left side, put the right side sack on the left side and fill it, and put all your passengers on the left side, make a gentle left turn. toeside for regular folks is riding on the left side.

either way, you got it to work and had fun and thats what counts!
Old    larkin            04-18-2005, 3:26 PM Reply   
good point timmy, but we only had one driver and one passenger, couldn't get the wake to curl over
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-18-2005, 8:40 PM Reply   
then i am very impressed! most times i have wakesurfed the boat looks really weird all tilted over to the side.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-18-2005, 9:03 PM Reply   
My guess is the prop rotation is the same as a Nautique.. opposite of a mc or malibu ..never the less. great pics...looks like you guys were having a blast..
Old    pappasurf            04-19-2005, 9:40 AM Reply   
We have a Supra, and we haven't had any problem getting the wake to curl on either side. Of course we had more people out, so it was pretty easy to just shift people around till we got it dialed in. Still working on perfecting the surf wake, but we haven't had any trouble getting people up and going on either side of the boat. Congrats to your dad btw, its awesome that he was able to learn to surf.