Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-11-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
hey all. we recently moved up to issaquah highlands and am wanting to finally get my boat out hopefully this next weekend before we head over to banks lake for the 4th. i've never launched at samm and am simply looking for some tips about the ramp. we're used to having at least some sort of dock for my wife and two very young girls to hold at until i can get back from parking the rig and trailer but since samm doesn't have anything like that, i just want to make sure i don't totally look like a wally both launching and coming in. most of this stuff is pretty common sense, but is there anything to watch out for? i'm a little conerned because my wife is not totally 100% up to speed on the boat and combine that with a little pressure, a 3 year old and a 10 month old i have a little anxiety. i'm thinking about just heading back to lake wa, but with the launch just two miles from my house it seems silly to drive clear to mercer or the west side for that matter. think maybe i should just have hear drive and park the rig and i handle the rest? also any tips or advice would be appreciated. thanks in advance. hope everybody is doing well. --bruce
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       06-11-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
Bruce,

There are several lanes to launch from and they all have docks. Here is what to look out for:

Before you launch, get out and look at the ramp just under the water. It is a cement grooved ramp that is about 10 feet wide. You cannot see it from the truck as you are backing up.

From the truck it will just look like the blacktop goes all the way into the water. My very first time at Sammamish, I whipped the truck around, backed in the boat, fell off the side of the ramp and high centered the trailer with the boat still on it. Not fun.

This is not a bad thing, the cement grooves give great traction, you just need to know where the ramp is. they are usually 3' off of each dock on both sides.

There is also a $5.00 parking fee
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-11-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
hey right on. thanks for the reply. i had always thought the launch didn't have any docks. we're talking about the launch just down from home depot and fred meyer right? any hazards out on the water?

(Message edited by brucemac on June 11, 2007)
Old     (jamieb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-11-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
same comment about the ramps. dont be too close to the docks. I had my trailer off to the side and dinged my prop on the prop guard pulling it on. Bad times.

The only hazard you need to be aware of is the sunken forest to the north of the first row of houses on the west side of the lake. Its actually pretty cool to check it out in a canoe, but keep your prop away.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-11-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
thanks you two

looking forward to checking it out. sure hoping the weather turns around by saturday. if not, will be just nice to finally get out on the water after all this moving business.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-11-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
Just watch out for that Cliff guy! No telling what he's gonna do behind the wheel of his boat!
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       06-11-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
Here is some more info:
http://www.lksamm.com/
http://www.lakesamm.com/lakefacts/

Watch out for sunken forest in SW corner near greenwood point. Don't go north of ski course at north end. Other than that is all pretty deep with no obstructions.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-11-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
Bruce,

Your best bet would be to come out with us once before you pack the family up for a day on the water. We can show you the launch pads Troy is talking about, the hidden forest, the stumps up on the sw corner, and how to stay clear of the ski area.

Just give me a buzz and we'll hook you up.

206-391-2285

Cliff
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-12-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
Cliff

sounds good, but I've really got to try and get out this weekend. we're not planning on staying out long or anything or even riding for that matter. i just have to do a shake-down trip before i head over to Banks on the 30th. we've been so busy getting settled. i've got another friend with a small runabout as well who was going to come out with his boat and wife as well, but if you think maybe we should just head over to lake wa, i will suggest it to him. i definitely want to hook up with you and your crew sometime soon, but you can't poke fun at my noobescent riding skills!

looking forward to getting out on sammamish. how's the water temp?

can i give you a ring some evening this week and have you give me the skinny?

thanks again for all the replies-
Old     (jamieb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-12-2007, 10:15 AM Reply   
water temp last thursday was 61-62 ish on my PP
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-12-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
Bruce,

Saturday is going to be overcast, so you'll probably be alright at the launch. Just make sure you do a visual before you back into the water. The launch pads are tough to see from a vehicle but once you walk down you'll see what we are talking about.

We'll probably be out from around 7-10 in the morning. Just give me a call whenever you want to ride, or if you have any questions.

Cliff
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-12-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
Entrance lane when you drive in is for launching.
Launch in the first 4 lanes (can't miss the big sign).
Inside car lane is for wiating to pickup.
Pickup/trailer boat in the last 4 lanes.

I hate it when everyone runs for the first opening and messes it all up.

You can't be to far from the dock or too close. Either will cause your trailer to drop off the end of the earth. LOL! Just take a look at the where the pads are when you drive in.

Earlier the better. An dwatch out for that '00 SAN with the NVS's on it. You'll lose an eardrum iof you get too close.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-12-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
lol!

i'll probably miss ya cliff, i've got to try and get into issaquah car toys when they open so they can replace an older style pac lc1 for my tower speakers. it basically corroded and is shorting out. i suspect we won't get out until 10 or so. again thanks for all the replies and have a great weekend.