Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-06-2005, 9:28 AM Reply   
Does anyone know what LF board Shapiro is riding now that he's off the Demented??? Any idea if he'll come out w/a LF signature model?
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-06-2005, 9:31 AM Reply   
Doubt it very highly.
He doesn't have the draw he used to.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-06-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
there was a short interview with him in WBM I think, and when asked about his pro model with liquid force his reply was "ask those guys." Those guys being Tony Finn, and Jimmy Redmond.

I think he's gonna be riding the team with transits.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-06-2005, 9:59 AM Reply   
I think he will be coming out with a Signature model.....For now he IS riding the Team and Transits....Since when do you hear any rider immediately talk about a signature model right after signing with a board company.....usually it takes a little while.....Anyways, it would be foolish for them to not allow him to come out with a signature model because he has always been influential in designs of his boards. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-06-2005, 10:07 AM Reply   
I noticed he was pushing several of his riders from RideTheSpot to that setup (i.e. team w/transits); however, I wasn't sure if he too was riding that rig. Could we see any competition pics from his now post-Obrien days to confirm our assumption?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-06-2005, 10:28 AM Reply   
Team 39 and Fish 29 with Transits...

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=105

We'll have an interview and pics up soon...
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-06-2005, 2:54 PM Reply   
That doesn't mean he likes his Team better than the Demented!
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-06-2005, 3:48 PM Reply   
so what does everyone think of a rider Shapiro's size riding the 139 size board?

just curious....
Old    sbvfive            07-06-2005, 3:51 PM Reply   
He used to ride bigger.....I am not sure what you mean.????
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-06-2005, 4:17 PM Reply   
it's just that i have heard a number of different opinions regarding the 'correct' size board for a rider of certain weight/height.

sure seems that because there's so much variance in what riders prefer, a claim that a particular size board range is appropriate for a particular size rider goes out the door..
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-06-2005, 4:24 PM Reply   
The thing about Shapiro, despite being only 5'1", the guy weighs a solid 165-170. So really a 139 isn't too far out of his range. You also have to figure in how he rides, extremely hard cuts that use every single bit of rail a board has. Makes sense to me. I doubt we'll see a pro board from him, I'm guessing we'll see a new Soven board & perhaps a Harrington or Santori or ________ before a new Shapiro. The young kids are the draw....
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-06-2005, 4:28 PM Reply   
woa, didn't know Shapiro was THAT hulky.

Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-06-2005, 6:24 PM Reply   
shapiro is jacked man
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-06-2005, 6:55 PM Reply   
Not that it makes a big difference but Darin is more like 145 lbs...
http://www.prowakeboardtour.com/rider.jsp?ID=176&sex=M

What surprises me is that he is riding a board that wide (17.1"). The Demented 136 is 16.7 which is considerably wider than anything he had ridden before...
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-07-2005, 7:05 AM Reply   
hey Big Heavy, I disagree with you statement due to the fact that even though Byerly is older he still gets new board shapes produced for him as well as bindings. Rumor is that the 2006 will be new. Anyways, I still hold my own that maybe 2006 or 2007 will see a shapiro influenced board and shapiro influenced bindings.
-Nate
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-07-2005, 7:05 AM Reply   
i mean byerly even spends more time on a skate and still has new wakeboards.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-07-2005, 12:09 PM Reply   
Byerly is completely different from Shapiro. No one rides like Shapiro except Jonathan Nadolski and people can't relate to his riding style. Byerly is more like everyone else, how many riders try & have that sick Byerly "Hook" style? Lots. Byerly is recognized as the original style master it's a no brainer that he has his own decks. Shapiro is known as the contest master & normal joes don't relate. It's all about marketability & Shapiro doen't have the same pull he used to. To tool a compression mold costs a ton of $crilla & it's tough to just shell it out because he's Darin. Give it a year or two & then maybe, a big maybe.

I didn't say only young riders get decks, what I said was that there are a lot of young talent that have paid their dues to LF and deserve a pro board before Darin.

I read in an interview few years back when Darin signed with Obrien & he said he weighed 165 pounds. Oh well he found Trimspa.