Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-05-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
I know that vinyl eventually starts to crack, but the vinyl on the sundeck of my 96 super sport has been doing so more and more. The boat is new to me, as of this season, and when we got her there were no cracks on the sundeck.

I started to notice small cracks, less than dime size, that would branch in 2 to 4 directions and then stop. almost all of these were near the stitching, to no surprise.

But the other day was a bit more severe. my girlfriend was on the sundeck, and propped herself up on her elbow. What resulted was a loud pop, heard by everyone in the boat, and a baseball size spider crack that pretty much stretched the width of this particular section of vinyl.

I have applied 303 to the entire boat twice so far this season, but I've also managed to already have racked up over 100 hours on the boat.

Is this just "the way she goes", or is there something else that can be done in addition to the 303 treatment?

Thanks
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-05-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
what are you cleaning the vinyl with?
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-05-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
303 to protect it, and Fantastic spray to clean
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-05-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
I've heard in the past, in fact Mastercraft (I think it was) put out a memo a few years back not to use Fantastik or Formula 409 on the vinyl as it's too hash for it. But more so i think your vinyl is just plain old, it coulda been untreated for years before you got it.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-05-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
Fantastic is not so Fantastic for vinyl.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-05-2009, 4:08 PM Reply   
The formula changed for Fantastic about a year or so ago and they say not to use it any more. Nautique even has a notice not to use it!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-05-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
If it's the original vinyl, 13 seasons is more life than one should expect. Sounds like you're using the boat a lot more than it was seeing before you bought it, so wear and tear issues are going to pop up. It shouldn't cost more than $200 to get the hatch reupholstered if that's the only bad area.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-05-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
Never use household type cleaners on vinyl. Use a specificaly designed product. MalcoPro Leather and Plastic Cleaner is the best I've found. Stuff is great. www.malcopro.com No I don't work for them and I am not a rep.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-07-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
Am I wrong or is fantastik for cleaning kitchen countertops?

Don't use anything that doens't say it's for vinyl, and even if it does, still be wary. I use meguires, cause it's the only thing i've seen around in stores. It is specifically for vinyl and has uv protectant. Babes I would have to mail order, but would also be a good option.
Old     (adam)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-07-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
I use diluted simple green for cleaning the vinyl.. It works great so far!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-07-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
^^Accept some vinyl manufacturers say not to use Simple Green to clean their vinyl.
Old     (tjs_ccc)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-07-2009, 1:02 PM Reply   
I have been a Nautique Dealer for 23 years. I have some boats that come in for service that are as old as 1987's and they have the original vinyl and look great. I have some boats that are only 5-6 years old and they are coming apart. The quality of the vinyl has continued to improve over the years with SRT top coats in the early 2000's models that is even better in its durability.

If the wrong cleaner has been used at anytime of the vinyl... it starts and irreversible process where the petroleum in the vinyl oxidates out and it will crack or split. CC has always used the highest quality NON EXPANDED GT vinyl... but if you use the wrong stuff, even it won't hold up. I have always suggested a mild soap like Palmolive or Ivory diluted in water and a soft bristle brush for cleaning and then 303 as a protectorate. Never use armorall and CC in their Manuel say DO NOT use 409 or Fantastik or any silicone-based products. Simple Green is not good stuff either.

If you are a second or third owner... you are at the mercy of who owned it before you. GT's Web Site is www.gtglobalproductsolutions.com This is their web site (which is currently down) but they use to have some cleaning instructions and products that they offered to safety clean your vinyl. If you have EXPANDED vinyl like you have on many of the cheaper boats... we have seen that stuff blow up on the boat in as little as one or two years... expanded vinyl in my opinion is crap and you won't find it on at CC. Hope that helps.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-07-2009, 2:44 PM Reply   
I used to use spray nine on my fishing boat .....and needless to say all the vinyl got totally destroyed....live and learn. it seems it weakens the vinyl and it busts first at the seams.....fantastik would seem to be the same type of problem. Unfortunately it cant be reversed and the vinyl is toast.