Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-10-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
Well it is officially fall in Minnesota. Cold cold cold. One day it was 90, then BOOM 60's relentless. Two weeks later the water is numbing.

I FINALLY purchased myself an inboard this year, an 87 Supra SunSport DD and I swear I cry every time I look out the window. I'm only 27 and I'm not some Richie Richard either.

So to get to the point, I would love to move and with a college education I know I can get a job, but it's so hard to uproot your life like that.

Not sure where I would go or how to get there, but it's still summer somewhere, and I wanna be there!

I want to hear your stories of how you made the move to a warmer climate. Assuming I'm not a professional boarder that is!!
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-10-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
Never moved but here in Houston Tx it stays warm, humidity will make you sweat bullets. We ride till November(maybe a heater shirt) December the same, Jan wetsuit, feb march is cold , then back to shorts.
Old     (goldilocks)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-10-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
I was thinkin Australia might be nice to move to from MN! :-) I wanna get my nursing degree done with and move somewhere WARM! The water temps are already down over ten degrees from two weeks ago in Plymouth! Burrr.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-10-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
I am born and raised in California and would never consider moving. It gets cold in the winter but not to cold where you just can't ride. If you dont mind water in the low 60's during the winter then you can handle it here. We have the Delta, it doesn't get any better.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-10-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
While in school at UWSTOUT (close to MN - I know your pain) I got full-time 12 credit whatever with online classes and moved down to FL for a semester with my friend... I finished all my class work in like 1.5 months and then just fished, boarded and did nothing for another few months.... it was awesome

Check out winter haven, you can get on water houses for as low as 100k....and not a total piece of 150k was rather nice
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-10-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
where is winter haven
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-10-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
CAlifornia is nice but cost of living and overcrowding sucks, not to mention all the liberal tax the crap out of everything mindset.
Old     (martinique)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-10-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
wakemikey....I made the move from Wisconsin to Phoenix just about a year ago. The water here is still 80 degrees. I work for a software company that allows me to work from home when I am not traveling. Don't get me wrong I have flown over 100K miles this year but I still get out to ride 1-2 times during the week and the weekends year round. If you ever need a break this fall or winter come to Phoenix and we will take you out.
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-10-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
Same boat as you over here in WI. I was thinking FL but now I'm also looking into AZ, TX, CA.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-10-2008, 9:22 AM Reply   
Wakemikey, same boat as you over here in OH. Have thought about it a bunch of times. Not much of a wake scene and not much of a season without having get out the wet and drysuits. I'd like to relocate some day and enjoy more year round warmer weather
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-10-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
winter haven is in florida just outside of orlando
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-10-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
AZ would be cool or CA but costof living and taxes are brutal. Texas is not bad where m at. good wakeboaridn community and allot of riding spots
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-10-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
You guys are correct about the cost of living out here in Cali. But at the same time, you pay for what you get.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-10-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
I think you mean "you get what you pay for" even then I don't think it really applies. Overcrowded, no parking EVER, super expensive, and EVERYTHING causes cancer?? You can keep it. Just got back to Texas from Laguna Beach on Sunday and couldn't wait to get home.
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-10-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
where in Texas Nacho
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-10-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
I made the move from Huntington Beach California to Texas, best decision I have ever made.
I would never move back to Cali.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-10-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
why was it the best decision you ever made? just cause of the living cost? or because you see more calm water there instead of the santa ana's blowing in once a year?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-10-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
Chris,

Tyler
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-10-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
I moved from Chicago to Sacramento and would never move back. I was sick of 3 month summers. Always seemed like the day after Labor day it was done. My wife was able to transfer so that got the ball rolling and I found a job when we moved.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-10-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
Nacho, I guess it just depends on who the person is because I've lived in San Jose my entire life and I get to ride the Delta every weekend. I would never give that up. I was in Texas this summer. Stayed in Austin and went to TSR for 3 days. It was an OK trip. I couldn't wait to get back to Cali. I just like the west coast lifestyle. But thats just me.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-10-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
Brian - My husband and I moved to Sacramento two years ago as well and we love it here. I much prefer Northern CA.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-12-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
just don't forget to winterize your boat in Northern California
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-12-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
^^^^^^ blah^^^^^^^ just store your boat indoors and you have nothing to worry about. every 10 years we get a "big freeze" but what ever. just do the basic's if you store outside, like drain it and pull freeze plugs. nor cal is my home born and raised. will live and die here. but i live in gods country so im spoiled.

surf, my back yard
wake, delta hour and a half drive to disco.
snow, 4 hr drive to t-hoe
mx and trail riding all kjust a truck ride away!!!!!!!!
some of the greatest mountain bike trails, back yard
rock climbing, backyard and 3 hrs to yosemitie
you get the point. and plenty of might life in the bay area.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-12-2008, 2:57 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^^^hells yeah. Nor Cal Suckas. We do have it good here. Delta, tons of lakes, Ocean, Tahoe, all within a short drive.
Old     (weswheels)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-12-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
Mikey,
We've talked a few times. I was living in good old frigid North Dakota. Just sold my '87 Supra Sunsport. Moved to Colorado for another type of boarding (snow). I can still wakeboard during the summers, and United Airlines flights anywhere are pretty dang cheap if I need to wakeboard.
I decided a few months back this is where I wanted to move. So during my days off of work I had companies fly me out there for interviews. Viola, offers looked over, one accepted and now I'm living in Denver.
Good luck and search hard for a job. It's really not difficult if you put some effort and time into it.
Wes
Old     (weswheels)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-12-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
Oh yeah,

65 degree water, I'd take that any day coming from where I came from. We wakeboard when there is still ice on the lake, kind of fun to jib and slide on like a rail.
Old     (deltaratmike)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-12-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
yup i dont wanna move out of norcal any time soon thats for dayum sure. riding is legit here and there is so many places to choose from. and joe shmoe is right about winterizing your boat...but we dont cuz we ride year round hahaha love california
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-12-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
I live in Elk Grove CA very near Sacramento, I like to say the Delta is my frontyard and the Sierra Nevada my backyard(we keep the snow up in the mountains!), The Sacramento area is 2 hours from San Francisco, San Jose(bayarea), Point Reyes National Seashore, other National parks, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, a ton of lakes, numerous private ski lakes and sites, the California Delta is a lifestyle in and unto itself...the Delta is huge, some places still empty of other boats on 4th of july, you could spend 20 years out on the delta and not see all of it.

once I moved to Boulder CO, I thought it would be OK, then it got to Zero degrees for a week straight, everything was frozen solid, my truck would barely start, there was a dam above us that released water and it froze in the creek over and over on top of itself filling it with ice next I found out our house was in the shadow of a mountain all winter long so the ice never melted...I had an open line to cabelas SEND MORE FLEECE! anyway when love did not work out I said...I'm going back to California...or as Led Zeppelin put it Going to California.

oh and I better add there are lots of groomed snowmobile trails up the Sierra, but its the steep and deep no flatland riding this is western riding at its best, better trade the lake burner for a mountain sled.

(Message edited by bftskir on September 12, 2008)