Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-25-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
Top Ranked MMA Fighter Chooses Malibu Boats
Malibu Boats (@MalibuBoats) welcomes the UFC's No. 1 Heavyweight Contender, Shane Carwin (@ShaneCarwin), to the Malibu Boats family. A huge fan of Malibu Boats, Carwin is pumped to bring the Malibu brand of fun and performance to the Mixed Martial Arts Octagon. Malibu Boats reciprocates this admiration as fans of Carwin's integrity and determination as much as his 11-0 record. Carwin is looking to punch-up his wakeboarding with his family this summer behind his new Wakesetter VLX. But, before that can happen Malibu Boats will be pulling for Carwin, in a different way, as he fights for the Interim Heavyweight Title against Frank Mir March 27th at UFC 111.

Additional Links
Shane Carwin's Web Site
Follow Shane Carwin on Twitter
UFC 111

Wearing the Malibu Boats name, Carwin will enter the Octagon with Frank Mir on March 27th in Newark, New Jersey to decide the Interim Heavyweight Title at UFC 111. Carwin will draw on his 11 and 0 MMA career experience to defeat Mir, a 2-time UFC Heavyweight Champion. Success in that arena will pit Carwin against the UFC's only other fighter to wear 4XL gloves, current UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar.

When asked why he chose Malibu Boats, Carwin responded with this statement, "My family and I love being on the lake and spending time together. We all ski, wakeboard and just enjoy the water. When looking for a boat I wanted a brand that worked as hard as I do to be the best. Malibu is not only the best performing boat they are the only boats good enough for my family and me."

Carwin's record is extremely impressive, but not the only reason Malibu is so excited about this new relationship. Just like the other talented individuals that make-up the Malibu Boats Family, Carwin is as strong on character and determination as he is fierce in the Octagon.

Paul Singer, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Malibu Boats, had this to say about the addition of Carwin to the Malibu Crew. "Shane has a level of dedication that is impressive whether it revolves around his family, his sport or his fans so he made an immediate impression on us in the cage and out. Singer continued, "The fact that he has dreamed of owning a Malibu boat and wanted to bring us in the Octagon was icing on the cake. Both vessels of extreme performance, strength and precision, Shane and his new Wakesetter VLX create a strong team."

Carwin fulfilled his mother's goal for he and his brother, two times over, with a Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering and a second degree in Environmental Technology. Carwin was also National Runner-Up Heavyweight in NCAA Division II Wrestling two years running and NCAA II Wrestling Heavyweight National Champion in 1999. In his spare time he managed to become a two-time All-American in football. He was focused on family and driven then. He remains that way today.

Carwin works as an Engineer as he pursues his Mixed Martial Arts career with UFC, but his devotion still lies with family. Carwin's wife Lani, his son Kamden and their new baby girl Alexia remain the priorities in his life. They are all looking forward to a fun summer in their 2010 Wakesetter VLX from Tommy's Slalom Shop in Denver, Colorado. Malibu Boats will keep you updated on Carwin and his family as they wakeboard and have great times in their Malibu boat this summer.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-25-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
Awesome story. I did not know his background before that read. Very impressive with the dual degrees and his college career in addition to his performance in the octagon. Wish I could get a boat maker to sponser me as an engineer! I'll put a picture of the boat on my screensaver
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-25-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
Shane is an active member of a huge MMA forum called the Underground (mma.tv)

You seriously couldn't ask for a nicer, more dedicated professional athlete. He really is a super guy on top of being an animal in the cage.

I think Mir handles him this weekend though.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-25-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
I am a huge mma snob and am always excited to see when my love for mma and wakeboarding mix. I recently saw that Hyperlite had sponsered gray maynard a couple fights ago. Right after the pics came out of him doing some wakeboarding with Rusty (he looked pretty legit too btw)

cool find Jeff

Last edited by devildog_ra; 03-25-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: props
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-25-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog_ra View Post
I am a huge mma snob and am always excited to see when my love for mma and wakeboarding mix. I recently saw that Hyperlite had sponsered gray maynard a couple fights ago. Right after the pics came out of him doing some wakeboarding with Rusty (he looked pretty legit too btw)

cool find Jeff

Yeah Gray is pretty legit. There are a couple other fighters who ride as well.

MMA Snob Crew, Signing In
Old     (blowhole)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-26-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
just seems wierd that people are getting sponsored by wakeboarding and boating companies for sports that have nothing to do with their products
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-26-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
why?

he's famous and he loves being on the water. It's a win/win.

No one knows the "details" of the sponsorship. They might have just cut him a good deal on a boat. Jared Allen is a Malibu rep as well. He was at the MPLS boat show.

Shane is a great dude and is drawing a lot of fans. He is good press for Malibu boats. It's not as though he's a sponsored rider for them and they are paying him all kinds of $$ to travel around to events, etc

Think about the demographics of MMA fans.

18-33 year old males (of course there are many exceptions)

Think about the demogrpahic of most wakeboarders

18-33 year old males (of course there are many exceptions)

Makes perfect sense.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-26-2010, 9:41 AM Reply   
Man I can't wait for this fight!!!!!!!

There is a good chance that Carwin will use his down time after losing to Mir via Darce choke tomorrow night, to become a better wakeboarder. He is an incredible fighter and heavy hands, but he is running into the most vicious/complete heavyweight in the world right now.

And how can a declining boat company/shrinking market, have money to spend on that type of a athleter? Even if they just give him a boat, still $25-30K out of there pocket for the season for now.

Hard to believe someone would by a boat because a MMA fighter is endorsed, but we'll see. The upside is he will be a top 2-5 fighter for the next few years for sure.

Kind of ironic that the 2009 King of Wake an Rider of the year, Aaron Rathy did not even have a boat sponsor but the #3 MMA guy does. By the way, Carwin's last fight he was reported as making $345K for one half of one round. And Rathy.....
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-26-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
Man I can't wait for this fight!!!!!!!

There is a good chance that Carwin will use his down time after losing to Mir via Darce choke tomorrow night, to become a better wakeboarder. He is an incredible fighter and heavy hands, but he is running into the most vicious/complete heavyweight in the world right now.

And how can a declining boat company/shrinking market, have money to spend on that type of a athleter? Even if they just give him a boat, still $25-30K out of there pocket for the season for now.

Hard to believe someone would by a boat because a MMA fighter is endorsed, but we'll see. The upside is he will be a top 2-5 fighter for the next few years for sure.

Kind of ironic that the 2009 King of Wake an Rider of the year, Aaron Rathy did not even have a boat sponsor but the #3 MMA guy does. By the way, Carwin's last fight he was reported as making $345K for one half of one round. And Rathy.....
Whoa whoa whoa - slowdown here cowboy.

You made about 300 assumptions in this quick little post.. Let me make some clarifications here.

1. Mir is junk. He will get ruined by Lesnar, would get KTFO by Cain, would get tapped by Nog and would JDS'd by JDS... That's not even mentioning guys like Barnett, Fedor, Overeem and Arlovski that would wreck his shop.. Hell, he get put out by Brandon "The Anti-Truth" Vera.. He might be your boy - but world beater he is not..

2. You are making assumptions about what the economy has done for Malibu. Maybe they are doing great? You also say "maybe they just gave him a boat". No where in the article does it say he was given or paid anything. He might have just got a discount. Maybe he's just friends with a Malibu owner/employee?

3. No one is "buying a boat cause Shane Carwin has it". If anyone went under that assumption - they would be ridiculous. Spending $80k because some MMA fighter did? It's called marketing, advertising and branding. They are just getting their name out to a larger target audience (18-33 year old MMA fans).

4. Are you aware of the opportunities Rathy was given? Did he call you and say "Malibu didn't offer me anything so I took the MB sponsorship".. Maybe MB is paying him big bucks. Maybe they had a better package than Malibu? Just because he went with an up and coming boat maker doesn't mean he didn't recieve an offer from Bu'..

About 75% of this post is just me trolling trying to get a reaction from you (especially the Mir part). But there is 25% that is real talk. Mostly because people just love to "say stuff" based on what they think (I realize this is a discussion forum) but wakeboarding fans are fickle. Look at the Slingshot stuff. Wakeworld has been nutriding Slingshot for a year now and ONE thread just destroyed their credibility by people saying what they "think".

Congrats to Carwin and Malibu for their coordination together and congrats to Rathy and MB for a great combo.

Mir by RNC early in the 2nd.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-26-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
First of all I have been in the watersports business for 15 years handling marketing and advertising for these companies and others. Aaron is a friend and was in my movie Delta Session before he was "famous". I worked with Malibu for almost 10 years and with MB for the last 3. So when it comes to wakeboaring/marketing/sales, I know of which I speak.

As far as Mir, I was just poking around. I believe he will get past Carwin but his true test is Brock again. It cracks me up how Mir never gets any credit fr his accomplishments. There are always excuses when he wins. Since he is somewhat of a heel, people have strong emotions about him.

As far as I am concerned with a high profile guy like Carwin and High profile boat company, this can only be good for our sport. Anybody that is into MMA and not watersports, this may get them to at least check out a website or boat show. So it's all good to me.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-26-2010, 12:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
First of all I have been in the watersports business for 15 years handling marketing and advertising for these companies and others. Aaron is a friend and was in my movie Delta Session before he was "famous". I worked with Malibu for almost 10 years and with MB for the last 3. So when it comes to wakeboaring/marketing/sales, I know of which I speak.

As far as Mir, I was just poking around. I believe he will get past Carwin but his true test is Brock again. It cracks me up how Mir never gets any credit fr his accomplishments. There are always excuses when he wins. Since he is somewhat of a heel, people have strong emotions about him.

As far as I am concerned with a high profile guy like Carwin and High profile boat company, this can only be good for our sport. Anybody that is into MMA and not watersports, this may get them to at least check out a website or boat show. So it's all good to me.
I know who you are Jason. That's why I said I was trolling.

Good talk. Mir by RNC and Lesnar by anything he wants.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-26-2010, 1:31 PM Reply   
Now that Mir is the same size or a little bigger according to insiders, there is a good change Mir has a shot at Lesner this time. I mean at 275 of solid muscle, how is Mir (235 at the time) suppose to keep that beast off him. Lesner is a bad ass, it's just a matter of time that Carwin, Cain or Fedor kocks him the F out.
Old     (feere99)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-26-2010, 8:27 PM Reply   
lesner isnt 275 of solid muscle hes actually not even that lean. most of the hw arnt in that great of shape. most bodybuilders that are 275 are way bigger than lesner.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-28-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
WOW! War Shane Carwin and Malibu. Its seems that when fighting Shane its just a matter of time before he lays his monster hands on you and you hit the mat. @Jeff judging by the amount of real estate that malibu's logo took up on both his sponsorship banner and his shorts i must say that it would seem likely that malibu either gave him a boat or are paying him a substantial amount in sponsorship money. Congratulations to them both in their partnership and with the win.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2010, 9:02 AM Reply   
Yhea don't know what it cost, but looked good on his shorts and banner. He is a stud. I am so dissapointed in Mir. It was like he showed up with no game plan
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-30-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
Cain Velasquez is still better than Carwin and Lesnar IMO. He will be the next HW Champ. I'm assuming he will have to face JDS around the same time Carwin and Lesnar fight. I was stoked to see Carwin win though. It was nice to see that right after Malibu picked him up.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-31-2010, 8:51 PM Reply   
Hahahaha.. Did you see Cain vs Congo? Dudes got no chin... I really like him but JDS will destroy him if he lands a punch before Cain takes him down lol Obivously Carwin would do the same thing.. I just dont see him as a threat yet to JDS, Carwin or Lesnar...