Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-14-2006, 12:22 PM Reply   
Here is the official status of Pan Am.

Letter to all Riders

IWSF Pan Am Region Wakeboard Championships

August 14, 2006

From Janifer Ellis

Well guys, mark your schedule, the United States Olympic Committee is now on board with us and the IWSF Pan Am Region Wakeboard Championships will take place March 7-10, 2007. We will have all the Pan Am Federations competing in Miami, Florida.

Watch www.board-up.net for details on this event (they will be posting detail information soon)

The following messages from the Chairman of the Pan Am Region, Dan Levine and promoter Jonathon Strauss will explain the details why we had to change the date:

Dear Pan Am Wakeboard Council and friends:

Due to a combination of circumstances, the IWSF Pan Am Region Wakeboard Championships for September 2006 will be postponed. This decision has been prompted by communications with United States Olympic Committee, USA Wakeboard, Correct Craft (our title sponsor), and Jonathon Strauss of Swim Gym Aquatics, who planned on promoting the event.

Questions on proper naming rights, event ownership, and sponsorship have delayed progress to allow enough time to host the event in September 2006.

At this time, it would appear that holding this event in March 7-10, 2007 is much better advised. It will allow time to organize all details and make the IWSF Pan Am Region Wakeboard Championships a very powerful and successful event.

I look to all of you to become intimately involved as representatives of your federations or organizations in the promotion and success of the IWSF Pan Am Region Wakeboard in Miami, Florida, USA in March 7-10, 2007.

Dan Levine

Chairman – PanAm Wakeboard Council

Message for Jonathon Strauss of Swim Gym Aquatics

Miami Sports International and Swim Gym Aquatics, Inc. have prepared an innovative event for the action sport industry, The IWSF Pan Am Region Wakeboard Championships and Board Up Miami, all in the same weekend. The event will be fully sanctioned by the USA Wakeboard Association. This year’s event hopes to lure over 150 amateur riders from the Pan American Region from March 7-10, the winners of the larger scale Pan Am tournament earn the opportunity to participate in Board Up™ Miami on March 10, the nighttime Professional Tournament and Music Festival, as well as an opportunity to represent their respective countries in the Pan Am Games to be held in August of 2007 in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. The Pan Ams and Board Up will be available in post production on Television. Anyone interested in sponsorship or volunteer opportunities please email thesportspromoters@swimgym.net or call the Swim Gym Office at 305-273-1129. Continue to visit www.board-up.net for more details on the events.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2006, 12:34 PM Reply   
David, thanks for the update, It is good news for riders in OR, WA. & MN. to name a few, so our kids can look forward to practicing in Febuary in 45 degree water.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-14-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
Same for riders in TN, on top of 45degree water the school system has ruled that non school sports are unexcused absences and if there are 5 days in a semester grade will automatically be lowered to 69.

If Phil attends Nationals and Worlds he will be on the brink of failure.

WWA, INT, Pro Tour, and now USA wakeboard need to realize that kids are in school in August, September, March and May.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-14-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding is a Florida sport that is why Austin is moving. Hey, I know it's tough for us in non tropical climates. I know these guys like Dan are from Wisconsin so he understands but so many things come into play. I am sure they would have preferred to have it in September. It is exciting to see the USOS involved.

By the way, I sat through their drug orientation (International Olympic Comittee) that is now part of being part of this organization. Drug screening is part of the program. I was amazed at what can get you in trouble. Everyone thinks it’s the recreational drugs like pot and coke. Those are screened for of course but the litany of other banned substances from ingredients in some burn creams to hair loss drugs to etc. There are good reasons I was just surprised. The point is if you plan in participating in IWSF events you better know the rules to keep from stumbling on something by mistake.
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-14-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
David-Also there was much hype of USA Wakeboard being a better ship, Im still to see it. I agree with someone on the other thread that they all have their faults. Is it totally impossible to get an organization to run these events that will have the sports best interest in mind? Having kids in school is a big negative. That is what is wrong with our sport. Some and most families CAN NOT afford to move to Florida and until the WWA, INT, USA Wakeboard realize this we will NEVER get the attention we need.
Old    roadking            08-14-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
Well, first of all, the Pam Am and anything to do with IWSF or AWA is not worth the time of effort.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-14-2006, 4:33 PM Reply   
this sounds like a joke. is ESPN running this too?!!!
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-14-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
I was kiddng. Austin is 18 and he is moving there. We have had to endure the same challenges. I am just trying to do the best we can and enjoy it. We had our frustrations with all but in the end it has been a very good experience. I am thankful there are organizations that have provided us the opportunities we have had. They all have their warts but without them there would have been no events. I am feeling a little bit melancholy and nostalgic because my oldest son is leaving and is headed to FL. So I am remembering all the good times we have had with INT, WWA and USAWkeboard and thankful for each one.