Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                08-05-2004, 7:43 PM Reply   
So its official i hate spinning. I love flipping but i gottta learn how to spin sometime. So for the past week ive been trying hard to land 3's. Ive read about every post. I can throw tantrums, ts back rolls, hs back rolls, ts front rolls, tantrums to switch, and whirlys no problem. But i can't land a 3. Everytime something goes wrong. Ive practiced on the tramp a billion times and its perfect on the tramp. I get to the water and i get off axis and land on my face or i lose the handle when i get the spin and ride away and sink without the handle. Is it a mental block or am i just stupid and doing something wrong? And i know pull the rope to spin not spin to pass the rope. I will get yall a clip as soon as my ear infection goes away. Stupid docter told my mom i shouldnt ride for 5 days but i will sneak out and ride when shes gone. So can you help me for now.
Old                08-05-2004, 8:06 PM Reply   
I had the same problem. One thing that really helped me was keeping my head up during the rotation. It keeps you on axis and your back straight so you can pass the handle easier. When you come off the wake, focus on looking at the horizon. When you fall, if you see your board at anytime, you are probably putting your head down.
Old     (cwbrider16)      Join Date: May 2004       08-06-2004, 8:30 AM Reply   
if you're using a trampoline for practice then just doing a 360 on it wont help much. Try doing 5's or 7's on the trampoline because you'll spin much slower on water.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-06-2004, 12:03 PM Reply   
You have to overemphasize the initiation of the spin with the handle on the tramp. And, make sure to wait for the pop before spinning on the tramp. Also, make sure you simulate how you'll be approaching the wake (toe/heel) when you practice.

The symptoms that you described are caused by 1) throwing the spin too soon = off axis, 2) not pulling the rope through your back = losing handle. Try initiating the spin by pulling w/ two hands on the rope. Also, try a toeside 3. They're easier to grab the rope. Good luck, and don't get frustrated.

Flipping and spinning are totally different animals....I remember reading something years back about Gerry Nunn ripping it up until Shaun Murray teased him about backside 3's. Evidently, Nunn fell about 10 times trying those until the sun went down!!! And, as you can see now, Nunn can do it all...just takes practice. Don't become one dimensional. Its worth the effort to learn.
Old                08-06-2004, 7:04 PM Reply   
thanx guys im going out tommorow and im gonna try all that you said i will also video it so i can show yall
Old                08-09-2004, 6:27 PM Reply   
Thanks a lot guys i landed one on my third try yesterday y'all helped a ton.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=11514
Old                08-09-2004, 6:46 PM Reply   
Hey Guys anyone good a hs front flips and can tell me what im doing wrong.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=11515
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       08-10-2004, 8:57 AM Reply   
It looks like you come off the wake and are already trying to flip. You tuck your front knee up enough but you bring the board behind you when you do initialize the flip, and you let go with your back hand before you get even 90* to the water. Also you look like you aren't cartwheeling, more twisting like a scarecrow.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       08-10-2004, 9:00 AM Reply   
From wakeboarder.com:
As you pop off the wake, straighten out your back leg and roll your weight towards the front of the board. Throw your head and shoulder toward the nose of the board while bringing the front of the board up with your pop. This is the key to getting huge pop and initiating the cartwheel rotation correctly.
Old                10-10-2004, 12:21 PM Reply   
you take a pretty big cut then let up
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-10-2004, 7:44 PM Reply   
start your edge slower and then build of speed instead of cutting so hard in the begining and then letting off
Old                10-15-2004, 11:04 AM Reply   
yeah, your went flat on your cut before you got to the wake...that kills your flipping potential because you have nothing to push from.