Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       03-17-2004, 10:13 PM Reply   
Ever wondered if your wake board boat would fit on a flatbed tow truck? Well if it is 21' or less and has a pull out tounge, it does.

If you don't have a spare on your trailer get one.

I was headed back from Lake Sonoma Sunday night and had a tire blow out. I called every tire shop I could think of and everyon was closed (after 5:00 on Sunday). I didn't wan't to leave my boat over night on the side of the roasd in the middle of no where so I called up AAA. They weren't sure they could help, but they sent out a truck anyway. Mad props to the tow truck driver, he never did something like this, but after studying the situation for a few minutes, he was ready to pull my boat up on to the trailer. I had to pull out the tounge, the tire hung a couple inches off each side and the back tire barely made it on the trailer, but he got it up on the truck and towed my boat home safely and unloaded it in fornt of my house unscathed.

Also, if you have Carsile tire on your trailer think about upgrading, these tire were onll two years old and couldn't have had more than a few thousand miles on them and this thing had about a two inch diameter hole blow out of the center of the tread. I did a search and found a lot of similar experiences with these tires. I am replacing all of my tires (and buying a spare) with Goodyear Marathons.

Old    xtigeman            03-17-2004, 10:20 PM Reply   
Very cool looking.

(Message edited by xtigeman on March 17, 2004)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-18-2004, 12:21 AM Reply   
For future info, although I gather you will be getting a spare, you could have tied that side of the axle up and towed it home.

I have seen your boat around.
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-18-2004, 1:29 AM Reply   
You can get all new tires tires if you want. But... they will just give new Carlisle. It appears they know there was a problem with the older tires and are replacing them with no questions. Call your trailer manf.

(Message edited by waken23v on March 18, 2004)
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-18-2004, 6:09 AM Reply   
There have been numerous posts about Carlisle tires on here, Hot Boat, and Wakeboarder. I would replace those tires as soon as possible, they're downright dangerous
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-18-2004, 6:36 AM Reply   
Couldn't you have removed the wheels from both front axles and towed home slowly? I have a single axle so I don't know.

Eric
Old     (chane)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-18-2004, 6:59 AM Reply   
I would think you could just remove the blown out tire and you could still tow it.

My trailer still has the original Goodyear Marathon's on it from 1997. Still like new! I did finally buy a spare this year, but I went MANY miles w/out one last year.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-18-2004, 7:36 AM Reply   

Brad - Get those tires changed before the Shasta Trip. Next time please call me Brad & I will help ya.

Mike@wakeon.com
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-18-2004, 7:38 AM Reply   
Shame on you,all that blinge and no spare.J/K.Bet you don't do that again.
Old    whitechocolate            03-18-2004, 7:48 AM Reply   
Back on the Carlisle tip for just a second, I had a Carlisle tire start loking bad so I called them and they sent me 5 brand new tries, I guess there is certan models that are a recall type of thning and if you have thoes type they will send you out some no questions asked, I was pretty blown away I got there # from my trailer manafactuer DHM good luck
Old    oshensurfer            03-18-2004, 8:58 AM Reply   
Hey Grant. You don't still happen to have that number would you?

Brad,
What brand of trailer is that?

(Message edited by oshensurfer on March 18, 2004)
Old     (coboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-18-2004, 9:11 AM Reply   
How do you tie up one side of the axle?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-18-2004, 9:27 AM Reply   
To tie up the axle you jack up the one side, then use a couple of motorcycle tie downs to hold it up. You should always carry certain items in a truck like jumper cables, water, tie downs, tow strap, etc... Some will say you must carry a boat spare. To change a spare you will most likely need a different sized lug wrench then your truck, and will definetely need a jack that works for your trailer.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-18-2004, 9:36 AM Reply   
I cant imagine towing anything without a spare, towing with one wheel off works. We did it for a pull behing Rv my buddy was towing doing about 90-100 behind his F350, blew the tire then blew the spare trying to make time....Go very slow though, that one tire is not designed to carry anywhere near the load you will be putting on it.
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       03-18-2004, 10:08 AM Reply   
Maybe I'll see if I can get a new set of Carlisle's and sell them. I've replaced the blown tire with one Goodyear Marathon and it looks much more road worthy than the Carlisle.

The tow truck driver did suggest tying up the axle and I did have a couple tie downs in the truck, but that sounded pretty sketchy, especially for the 20 mile strim of freeway on the way home, besides I pay all the money for AAA every year (which I rarely have used) I might as well get something out of it.

Mike,

Thanks for the offer.

Scott,

I think the trailer is a V/M.

Anybody know how to tell if your tires are the one's that were covered by the recall?

Also, any suggestions on add on spare tire mounts ??? I've found a few ranging form $25 to $110, I'm just wondering what everyon else has and what you like or dislike about it. Pictures would be cool, it looks like I will need the tire to mount at an angle similar to the bow for clearance, most of the cheaper mounts look like they mount the tire vertically and might not clear the boat. Thanks.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-18-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   

Brad gonna hit Sonoma Tomorrow afternoon are ya in?????
Old     (bjbatch)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-18-2004, 11:20 AM Reply   
I hate the look of the front-mounted spares, so I had an undercarriage spare installed. It cost about $350 for the install (plus cost of tire and wheel), but I love not seeing it. I had it installed by Extreme Trailers, even though my trailer is a Pacific. Here's an example: http://extremetrailers.com/new/sparetires_2.html.
Old    oshensurfer            03-18-2004, 11:25 AM Reply   
Brad,
I called V/M and got Carlisle's number. No recalls. And no, they will not replace any tires that don't have any obvious flaws (like a bubble or split, etc.). At least not for me anyway. They will need to be inspected by a shop. They will probably replace your blown out one if it blew because of a flaw within the warranty period which on mine is 2 years. Just take it to an Americas Tire Co and have em look at it and call Carlisle at 800-260-7959.

(Message edited by oshensurfer on March 18, 2004)
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       03-18-2004, 11:30 AM Reply   
Mike,
I'm not sure how early I can get out of work, what time you headin up?

Bruce,
That is sweet, it looks like that is hinged and drops out of the bottom, is it easy to get to?
Old    whitechocolate            03-18-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
Brad E-mail me Ill tell you how to work it out
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-18-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
If anybody gets anywhere with Carlisle, let me know. I ran over something the other day and while inspecting the leak, I noticed that my tires have some uneven wear. The inside of all the tires are chewed up and I have only had this trailer 2 years in June.
Old     (bjbatch)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-18-2004, 1:17 PM Reply   
Brad - Yes, you release the pin and it drops down. Super easy set-up.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-18-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   

Brad - looks like will be on the water at noon. Let me know.

Mike@wakeon.com
Old    ag4ever            03-18-2004, 2:53 PM Reply   
My tire is located under the bow of the boat.

Here is a pic.

http://users2.ev1.net/~ag4ever/nautique/dsc01895.jpg

You can barely see it in the picture, it is just past the jackstand.

I have since added a second spare tire on top of this one. I have about 2" space between the bow of the boat and my spare. I felt that since I have a tamdom trailer if one tire blows the second will probably be close behind. And if I run over debris that causes a flat it will probably take out both tires, so to prevent me from leaving my $50,000 boat on the side of the road, I wanted two spares.

I will try to post a newer pic of the spare tire mount.BTW, I have heard that cooper tires are the best trailer tires, and even have a warranty against ozone or sun cracks in the sidewall. I have two of those on the ground now, and two titans, so That I can compair how they wear, and so far I like the coopers better. The only downside is they are much more expensive. Like twice the price.