Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (Gryphon)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-24-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
I have a new boat that was purchased this year.

It was purchased in NY, I live in Canada and the boat is used in NY/PA and Canada.

The closest dealers are in NY.

Malibu has told me that if the boat is registered in Canada I will have no warrenty. I did not consider this an issue since the closest dealers are in NY state anyways. I was planning on registering in PA (state of use not residence). Sales tax will be paid in Canada when brought over the boarder.

The issue is that PA requires the boat to have been purchased 6 months prior in order to be exhempt from paying sales tax there. NY wants sales tax if it is registered there since it was purchased in NY. Canada wants sales tax as soon as it is brought over the boarder.

Normally I would register it in Canada and that registration is fine for use in the US. But due to warrenty issues, I need to have it registered in the US (PA).

Does anyone have any suggestions how to get the boat registered and not have to pay tax on it twice. I have no issue paying the tax as I have to with anything I purchase in the states when I briong it over the boarder.

Thanks