Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Waterskiing

Old                07-09-2003, 4:43 PM Reply   
I got a Mariah Shabah 18ft...no one has probably heard of it, but anyway, I have done all watersports behind it besides maybe 1 or 2. The only problem that I seem to have is Slaloming. The wake is just too big, so when I make a cut out in the flats I'll ramp off the wake and get sweet air (what I like wakeboarding) and do a huge face plant. Any tips on reducing the wake size/height? Any tips would be appreciated.
Old     (bjbatch)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-11-2003, 12:07 AM Reply   
Trade for a ski boat. I'm actually not kidding. My brother has a 19' Mariah and we spend a week at my parents' lake house every summer and I really miss my Supra when we do. There really is nothing you can do about the wake because the wake is a function of the hull and the outdrive. There are small things that may help a little like moving people forward, and of course skiing faster to get more hull out of the water (that may only exacerbate the face plant issue).

Even though it is not the best pull, you should still be able to ski well behind it. If you are jumping and face planting you are probably not hitting the wake on edge. You need to slice through the wake with speed and stop pulling when you get to the second wake. The dynamics of skiing behind an I/O are different, but the skiing fundamentals are the same. Work on your technique and the boat will suffice. But if you want to get a lot better or ski in a course, you will be much happier with an inboard.
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-21-2003, 7:39 AM Reply   
yeah try what bruce said about not stopping your cut just absorb the wake. I used to have a 19 foot mariah and just try to trim it as much as possible....worked for me