Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Waterskiing

Old    6more            05-15-2003, 6:54 AM Reply   
Since Dave has been gracious to change the board a little (sorry hydrofoilers) I figured we better use it.

So, all you waterskiers out there - what are you skiing on, do you ski the course (if so what speed/length), and how often do you hit it?

I am skiing on a 2000 65" HO CDX. I've just this year changed my overlays to the new 03 laceup overlays. Boy are they nice! I ski the course some, but only about once per month. Right now I'm just skiing 15off and trying to increase my speed. I'm skiing 30mph and working towards 32 right now. My season goal is to be at 36mph, but with my first child due in early July, that may not be attainable this year.

So how about the rest of you?
Old    leggester            05-15-2003, 7:10 AM Reply   
Crap. I'm working on change to new school style.

At 45, when I do it right, it seems much easier on the body. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to change 25+ year old habits though ;)

Getting a Burner after Mem weekend. Demo'd one and I liked it a lot!
Old    aka Bradley Beach            05-15-2003, 7:19 AM Reply   
What's up WATERSKIERS!!!

I'm glad to finally see this waterskiing thread happening. Even though we couldn't get our own thread, sorry Hydrofoilers, didn't mean to crash your party. Believe me I tried to get Dave to keep them seperated out but whatever!

Alrighty then. I'm currently skiing on a 2002 67" CDX with double Venoms! This has been a great ski but I've got a 2003 Truth on its way if HO will ever ship the darn thing. I'm hoping this ski will slow down a bit more in the turns. HO claims it will, but we will see...

I try and ski the course at least once or twice a week!

Keep the waterskiers coming! Let's hear from all of you. Your time in hiding on this site is over! Come out come out where ever you are!

Old    slalomboy            05-15-2003, 10:30 AM Reply   
Ok, I will admit that I am a "lurker" on this site!

I do not wakeboard but find a lot of useful stuff on the Boats and Access. topics. Now that there is a area for us then I might be even more regular on here!

I ski on a 01 Phantom and just demoed o D3 that I hated and am now working with a Phantom Truth and Truth. Run 28off@ 36mph consistent but get hung on the 4 ball 32 off. If running 34mph like I do sometimes, can run 32. I ski on the average of 3 to 5 times a week. No, I do not have a life beyond skiing and my other hobby, work! Lets get some good topics rolling!

Later!
Old    leggester            05-15-2003, 11:18 AM Reply   
hehehe, sboy from Waterski mag? I liked those last year.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       05-15-2003, 11:23 AM Reply   
I'm on a 2001 KD7000cg 66". I haven't skied for almost a month and a half, but I have a tournament Sunday. For some reason, in tournaments I can't get around 3 @ 36-15', but I run 4 @ 36-22' when I ski consistently. Oh yeah, I ski almost exclusively on salt too.
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       05-15-2003, 11:45 AM Reply   
Hey All. I quit Skiing about 10 years ago and took up Kneeboarding and Wakeboarding. But last year I decided I needed something more than 20 mph. So I strapped on my mom's O'brien World Team with Adjustable front binding and rear toe plate and hit 34 mph. WOW did that feel FAST!!

So now I bought myself an '02 O'brien Siege with Double Contact Highwraps. I'm still an open water skiier (no course yet). But it's only May.
Old     (john)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-15-2003, 12:34 PM Reply   
Hi. My name is John, and I ski......

The 3 wakeboards and 1 wakeskate in the racks are just a cover. Out of sight are 3 slaloms, 1 combo pair, 1 kneeboard, a tube, and an air chair (well it's not really out of sight).

At 45, having fun surpassed being cool a long time ago.
Old    gotpwr            05-15-2003, 4:11 PM Reply   
I have an '01 HO 70" CDX-1 with double Animals and mostly free ski at about 35MPH. I've tried the course a few times over the years but just don't have my timing down. Hopefully this summer I will learn how to run the course.

I just don't understand the hatred wakeboarders have for waterskiers. I've been skiing since I was 6 years old and will never give it up. I view wakeboarding as just another discipline of waterskiing. All the negativity of the wakeboarders makes me want to work on my skiing that much harder.
Old    matt_dettman            05-15-2003, 10:30 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding wrecks are cool, but there's nothing quite like going out the front at 60 mph!
Old     (33drew)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-16-2003, 2:44 PM Reply   
Gosh, i havent been to wakeworld in a week(damn finals) so it is awesome that we have a skiing thread now. Anyway im riding a 2001 65" HO CDX at 32 mph and 28 off.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-16-2003, 3:57 PM Reply   
68" Phantom, looking at the new Carbonworx slalom though.
Old    nick360            05-16-2003, 8:48 PM Reply   
I haven't been on a slalom for probably 5 or 6 years, but I use to 3-event and foot, so I'm glad to see more skiers on here.

I still have my '95 or '96 O'Brien Rumor Pro. The last year I skied on it, I got to hang out with Sammy Duvall and Andy Mapple. Both of them signed my ski, so now at least it makes a great wall decoration.
Old     (jdreiser)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-31-2003, 1:34 PM Reply   
I slalaom and wakeboard about 50/50 now. I updated the wakeboard this spring with a new LF, but am still on the old Jobe 1600 that has treated me well since 93, though I am beginning to itch for a newer skier and any suggestions would help. 6'1'' about 195 pounds.
Use to run the course in undergrad and best was 6 at 22 off, but haven't been on a course in years. Now that I have an inboard I am trying to get back in it, but the wife gets nervous driving a course.
Old                06-02-2003, 11:55 AM Reply   
Hellow to all my fellow skiers! I ski more then i board, however I have not been in the water yet because of a fractured rib(5th rib rightside). Happened about 3 weeks ago,Doc said about 2 1/2 to about 3 inches long. Ouch! As skiers we all know it is much harder on our upper body then boarding (no offense-Boarders . Has anyone gone through this... if so please let me know what you went through getting back behind a boat! Please tell me I will not have to wait a total of 6 to 8 weeks!
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2003, 12:42 PM Reply   
I cracked 2 ribs last summer on the 4th of July weekend. Came out the front after hitting a roller from 1 to 2 ball. OUCH I've never been in that much pain.

I basically did nothing for about 2 weeks, then started running and doing some twists, simple things to get some movement back in my ab section. Then slowly started doing sit ups and push ups, then I worked my way back into lifting weights. Then exactly 5 weeks later I got behind the boat again. You'll feel very tentative at first but eventually you'll get the feeling back and you won't worry about it! Good luck, take it slow!
Old                06-02-2003, 1:46 PM Reply   
Bradley,

Thanks for the input, Its makes me feel much better knowing that I'm not the only one! Boy do i feel like a BIG baby. The word breathing takes on a whole new meaning... the weather here in Maryland has been the pits..rain 23 out of the last 28 days, will try to rollerblade my 8 to 12 miles when i can & get on a ski in about 2 weeks. hope it works!!! Thanks again!
Old     (bjbatch)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-02-2003, 6:07 PM Reply   
Just noticed the new section here. I just bought a new HO ASX Vengeance 69" with double Animals. I upgraded from a '97 Burner that served me well, but now I want more. I just started on the course last year and have been on it maybe 10 times. Still working to complete 15 off at 30, but I am almost there. My biggest problem is removing all of my bad habits after a lifetime of skiing behind an I/O. The other problem is just good access to a slalom course. I wish it was easier (and cheaper) to get on a course in SoCal.

I slalom about 60% of the time and wakeboard 40%. I will never give up the slalom!
Old                06-03-2003, 6:02 AM Reply   
Bruce - I made my own slalom course using the EZ-Slalom directions that you can buy. It was really easy and it cost me a total of about $365 which includes all the buoys and two very nice anchors. (The one you buy usually don't come with buoys or anchors - and they still cost $500-700 without them).

I would highly recommend making your own course if you don't have regular access to one and you've been bitten by the slalom bug. It can be a pain to set up (I don't do it every time), but it's nice to know I can use it anytime I want.

I wrote an article about my experience on Malibuboatowners.com web site. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Slalom Course Article
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-03-2003, 7:05 AM Reply   
Bruce if you are looking to own a slalom course, definately check out Ez-Slalom. Ed, the owner is a super nice guy who will tell you everything you need to know. He makes a great product! His website is http://www.ez-slalom.com
Old     (bjbatch)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-03-2003, 9:49 PM Reply   
Thanks guys--I will definitely check out the EZ Slalom.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-18-2003, 7:14 AM Reply   
Where did all the skiers go?
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       06-18-2003, 8:37 AM Reply   
wakeboard season started. I haven't skiied in at least 3 weeks. I might be going either tonight or tomorrow morning though. Definitely Friday morning too
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-19-2003, 7:13 AM Reply   
Well I'm only 15 so i still have a little room for improvement...I Hope I get better!!! I have a 2002 HO Burner with custom wrap front and rear toe plate...About to buy either Double Animals or Venoms...any suggestions on which one. Only tried the course a few times best is 15 off 32 got hung on 5.

(Message edited by kylek306 on June 19, 2003)
Old                06-20-2003, 5:53 AM Reply   
I've never used the Venoms, but I like the Animals. From my understanding, they are nearly identical, except the Animals are made with a stiffer material, so they will be more responsive. There is also a pretty big price difference too.

If you can afford it, I would probably stick with the Animals if you have already been using a high rap. I would guess that the Venoms would be very similar to what you have already and may not be worth the switch.

PS - You can always buy an older pair of E-Bay etc, and switch out the overlays with the new and improved 03 lace up overlays. I have the older Animals that had the red pullup loop, but not any laces. I switch out the old overlays with the 03 lace ups and they feel 1000 times better. Before I would be lucky to ski 3 times through the course before my feet cramped up too much. I also had a pain in my rear ankle that eventually prevented me from using a rear high rap. Since making the switch, I've go back to a rear toe high rap and there is no longer any pain or cramping! Best of all, my dealer switched out the overlays under warranty and it didn't cost me a thing!

(Message edited by 6more on June 20, 2003)