Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Waterskiing

Old                06-06-2004, 7:34 PM Reply   
As soon as I get the course setup on my local lake, I'll be skiing it after a 15 year drought. As a kid, you never pay attention to the 'right' way to do things. So, I need the experts out there to go through the basic form. Hips and shoulder positions through the wake. Pre-turn and turn positions, etc. I'll post a few pics, so give me something to work on... and maybe help some others as well.
pic1
Old                06-06-2004, 7:36 PM Reply   
another..
pic2
pre-turn
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-07-2004, 7:02 AM Reply   
You are working too hard. Keep your shoulders back over top of your front foot heel. The entire body should be stacked - letting the bones take the load. Also, your back arm should have the majority of your load on your upper body. This keep your body in line. You are putting a lot of pressure on the back foot. Correct the form and everything will come back in line. You will also work less and enjoy skiing more.
Old                06-07-2004, 8:32 AM Reply   
The last pic show a bit of a problem there. Do you find you're not making it across the wake quickly enough?

If so, as per that last pic, you are looking at the back of the boat after the turn. Try looking directly across the wake.

Looks pretty damn good though after 15 years. Press with your toes for the turn, the ski looks like it's riding a bit heel heavy. You may also want to mvoe your bindings forward an inch. Let the tip of the ski make the turn for you ( or you'll work too hard for the turn ).

Looks nice, hopefully I'll be able to get back on the stick next weekend. (been out with foot injjuries for wahile )
Old                06-07-2004, 7:53 PM Reply   
good stuff. Thanks for the tips... I was wondering why by back leg was jelly after 2 sets. I mean, I'm out of shape, but that's ridiculous

Old                06-09-2004, 1:21 PM Reply   
My goodness Rob, your form looks very very similar to what mine used to look like when I just free skied.

So let me tell you what people have told me to help me shape up. I can tell by the pictures, and as was said in the previous replys, you are pushing really hard on that back foot in the turn. Which is causing a very slow and unbalanced turn, which leads to an out of position pull across the wakes.

If you will look at your first picture posted, at first glance it appears you are adopting the new school slalom technique, but you are only partially there. As was noted earlier you should be looking directly across the wakes. I also bet that you have skimmed the wakes with your butt at least once or twice in your pull across the wakes (I used to do that a lot). You also are probably starting to have some issues with a very tight, and perhaps painful lower back. This is due to bad position, and you and I are alike in that respect too.

I was told to immagine I am in the gym, and I am getting ready to dead-lift 500lbs...what position would I want to be in? If you imagine the ski rope as the barbell, you want you entire body in line to help you take the load. So you have to bend your ankles and knees and position your hips over your feet with your shoulders back and over the top of your hips. This puts everything in line and helps you take on the load much much easier. This way you are much stronger across the wake, which leads to more speed, and more bouys in the long run.

I hope this helps a little, you look like a very strong skiier, and quite balanced, so as soon as your fix up the form you will be zipping through the course at 22 off before you know it.