Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-27-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
Is this considered a good intermediate/beginner board? I have been riding it for a few months, it seems a little slippery on the water. I have been considering upgrading to a new, more aggressive board with a little more rocker, I have ridden a 134 Hyperlite Motive, and it seems much easier to control and cuts and responds a lot better. I am definitely not pulling off any flips, but am looking for a board to respond better. Maybe the Faction is a fine board for my level, but wanted to get anyones recommendation of a different board that might get me some more response.

I am 6'1", 195 lbs. My riding level is beginner/intermediate. What board size would you recommend? I am riding a 144 right now. Its tough to find anywhere to let you test a board before you buy. Nobody in my area seems to be doing this.

Thanks...

Thanks for any freedback.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-27-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
I like the Marius 140 and I'm 6'2 215.
The Marius has the option of a center fin which helps give it a more locked in feel.

A bunch of people really like the Transcend also. It is a 3 stage board so it is a bit more bucky than the Marius.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-27-2009, 7:19 PM Reply   
The Faction can work for everyone. I rode it all last year and had many of my friends who are less advanced riding it.

The ride can be modified with different fin sizes. I used small .7s that came from the Absolute. The thing about the Faction is that it obviously has only two removable fins, likely the Motive you have ridden had a center fin. The center fin helps a board initiate a turn while outer fins help it hold a solid edge. I would say that as a beginner you are likely getting used to the progressive edge and how to initiate it. Not having a center fin forces you to use your edges which is a good thing for advancing! Its all about starting slow and building a progressive edge.

I'd say the board is probably good for you but a new board is always fun! There are dozens of boards that would fit the bill. The boards Jeff recommended both might work. If you can find a demo day and give some decks a whirl.

I'm adding a picture of the Faction on edge.
Upload
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-28-2009, 11:40 AM Reply   
I agree about the Faction helping or making you learn to use your rails more to edge. I rode it most of last year and part of this year because I wanted to find a board that would help me break some bad habits and inconsistencies. After riding the Faction, I became more consistent and I learned a lot about using my edges and learning how to build a better edge. I developed a lot more control as a response to this. The only thing I would change would be to try the smaller fins. I am also looking forward to the 2009 shape. It has gotten good reviews.