Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-07-2006, 6:49 PM Reply   
yesterday i was trying out my new ricky g. for the first time, and loved it. i was riding really good, going big and landing smooth. so i worked up the balls to try a raley again. i cut in got launched and as i went up i did a perfect raley but started to roll frontside. so i was like "screw it" and tucked my head, did a full 360 rotation, while extended, and landed back on the board. sadly i didnt pull it out because i wasnt expecting to get close at all and just slipped out. has anyone else done this? next time out im going to try to actually land one on purpose so any tips from anyone?
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       08-07-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
No, I've never done that... Not even close. I've stargazed, and open up a little to a frontside rotation, but not enough to make the full 360!

I'd be really careful trying that trick... Afterall, you "worked up the balls to try a raley again" and almost landed a S-bend???

Congrat's, but be careful dude.

-Blake
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-07-2006, 7:11 PM Reply   
I wish. everytime I try s-bends I either eat it or do a layed out front.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-07-2006, 7:13 PM Reply   
Do not listen to Blake. You are invincible. Give it a shot next time and let us know how it went.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-07-2006, 8:06 PM Reply   
maybe im not picturing it right but it sounds to me more like a big layed out backroll or something since what your describing sounds frontside and an Sbend is a backside rotation..??
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-07-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
exactly what bill said, you spun frontside, not backside, therefore it was just a laid out backroll
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-07-2006, 8:31 PM Reply   
He said he ducked his head. Sounds like an S-bend to me
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-07-2006, 8:57 PM Reply   
you duck your head when you screw up a raley which is why you end up spinning frontside because you took your eyes off the tower and looked at the herizon
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-07-2006, 9:32 PM Reply   
If he rolled frontside, then it's a laid out backroll. An S-Bend is a backside rotation.

I've had the raley turn me upside down before...probably 3-4 times. One of those times I had the sense to turn my head around, complete the rotation, and pull the board back in and save myself on the landing. Technically that was a f*ed-up back roll.
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-07-2006, 11:22 PM Reply   
If you were doing a 911 and over rotated the backside shifty, you would take it to S-bend.
Old    chocobeat            08-08-2006, 6:17 AM Reply   
i think a 911 is the sexiest trick you can ever do on a wakeboard
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-08-2006, 6:20 AM Reply   
oh well, whatever i did it was cool and made me dizzy and i almost landed it. f- it ill go for a true s-bend!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-08-2006, 6:38 AM Reply   
"If he rolled frontside, then it's a laid out backroll. An S-Bend is a backside rotation."

Thanks Captain obvious.

Ducking the head sounded more like an S-bend. When was the last time you ducked your head on a backroll. The problem is that he doesn't know which way he rotated.
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-08-2006, 6:42 AM Reply   
but that makes sense, cause i have backrolls consistent and the rotation/flip i did felt familiar. but now i have to ask what is the difference between a whirlybird and a s-bend? is a whirly a tantrum with an ole 3 and an s-bend a raley with a laid out rotation?
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-08-2006, 6:46 AM Reply   
and thats what im doing wrong with my raley attempts im not looking at the boat, the only time i looked at the boat i got scared and just let go and did a front flip to an enema

J-Rod - i know i rotated frontside, no doubt about it. i just put the wrong name to the "trick"
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-08-2006, 4:34 PM Reply   
Greg your pretty much laid out on both the whirly and the sbend and they both have an over the head style backside rotation

the sbend starts as a raley then uses two hands to turn all the way around and the whirly starts like a tantrum and then you use one hand to turn the rotation while looking under your armpit and down the rope ...

anyway they look and feel totally different..
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-08-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
J-Rod

"The problem is that he doesn't know which way he rotated."

Odd, he said which way he turned in his very first post.

I'm not sure how ducking your head on a raley with front-side 360 rotation turns it into an S-Bend?
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-17-2006, 8:06 PM Reply   
just to let yall know i did land a raley second try after figuring out what i was doing wrong (not looking at the boat). thanks for the tip kyle!