Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-30-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
These two advertisements BOTH came in the first TEN pages of the latest SBC Wake magazine. I realize that it may be SBC's doing in ad placement, but umm....yeah. Not sure whose ad came first, but can we just agree to be more creative on the next go around?
Upload
Upload
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-30-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
I personally think its great. MC did it first; however, JD power ranking might appeal to certain buyers. (not me personally) I use to work for them and I think there studies are crappy. I like MC better simply b/c its riders that have spoken. I could give a damn less what the avg. person who shelled out 60K on a boat cares. The study that JD power includes has question like Was there popcorn givin to you at the dealership???? Not was the wake sick. I think CC has not stepped up to the plate in years personally. Even though I own one I wont buy one again. While MC has redefined there wakes, and Malibu has proven themselves time and time again. .

just my .02
Old     (flboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-30-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
there is something similar about those two adds I just cant put my finger on it
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-30-2007, 5:50 PM Reply   
Its the color scheme charlie
Old    K.B.C.            06-30-2007, 5:53 PM Reply   
that is too funny
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-30-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
Just an EXAMPLE of ANOTHER MC copy. I will get slammed but that is what it is.

JD Power is a BOUGHT award. As a matter of fact if you look at the review that JD Powers did there is less than 1 percentage point between the top 3. Nobody CRUSHED each other as it has been described. CC pay BIG BIG money to advertize those little TROPHIES.

C'mon CC get a little more original than that.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-30-2007, 6:45 PM Reply   
Wow... chill out TK. Correct Craft has won/obtained the JD power and associates award for 5 years in a row now. Were you in marketing, you mean to tell me you wouldn't use a selling point to one-up your competition? If you can poke fun at your competition, get people interested or curious (as this ad has done, by evidence here), and provide a strong draw, you've got a good ad. If you can get people riled up and talking about it, even better - it is more effective than any form of print/web/interactive/video/whatever marketing.

Is it original graphically? No. Is it original in terms of tone? No. Is it original regarding attitude? Yes. When was the last time you saw a boat ad that played off the competition's success? Did it create irregular interest? Yes - I guarantee you many people flipped past the first ad, hit the second and thought "what the heck??". They then took time to look at both ads longer than they would have before to differentiate between the two and figure out what was going on, and why the ads looked so similar. So, in the end, both Mastercraft and Correct Craft win - they get a longer attention span to pitch their respective strong points: Mastercraft as a cutting-edge wake-machine, Correct Craft as a workhorse, legendary towboat. This is an effective ad.

That having been said, I too agree that the JD Power and associates ads are out-of-wac. Correct Craft makes great boats, but so do all the other MFGs. It seems as if the rankings are based off sales pitches made to the family-oriented east-coast casual watersports boater. Realize as well that 65% of the voters for the riders choice award are under the age of 18 and have never ridden behind an X-star.

Also, the Mastercraft ad is just hands down better designed. Haha. Their ads always will be, too.
Old     (cwaker4)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-01-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
i think its the steam coming off the x-star that makes the MC far superior, that boat is sizzling hot.
Old     (hypoxic_films)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-01-2007, 7:09 PM Reply   
Ya but Nautique has one more "And again" so its obvious. They must be better boats
Old     (twoten)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-01-2007, 8:43 PM Reply   
coming from a marketing career... someone clearly didnt do their competitive research. They should hire me instead...
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-02-2007, 6:23 AM Reply   
IMO, If you are going to play off a competitors add, your marketing dept has run out of ideas...
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-02-2007, 6:43 AM Reply   
Hmmm, maybe it was intentional? (Please note the sarcasim in both the ad and my post...although in retrospect if you have to explain it, it probably wasn't funny).
Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-02-2007, 11:25 AM Reply   
and the mastercraft award is from a bunch of mops on the wakeworld website...that has no justice
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-02-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
All i gotta say all the major and semi-major boat brands have copied MC in some way. All, but malibu now. From the Pickle-Fork front ends, to tower designs, and now advertising. I know who the real winner is. But just so all the SAN owners dont get all bitter, if MC wasnt a company i would definitly drive a SAN.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-02-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
Tego, it's a boat, it's pretty hard to make a wakeboard boat & not have some elements cross over between MFGs. To claim plagiarism is pretty ridiculous.

1. Picklefork was not a MC design, originally in drag boats, of the ski mfgs I believe Sanger had the first picklefork(not on a wakeboat mind you).

2. CC made (& patented) the first tower and every company pays a royalty for each tower made.

3. Advertising - yeah thats pretty dumb.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-02-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
I can only imagine the war that would be going on in this thread right now if that was Tige instead of CC....instead this thread is almost mellow.

Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-02-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
Both ads have one too many "And Again"s
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-02-2007, 5:05 PM Reply   
Wow that is pretty funny!! I don't know for a fact, but I'm pretty sure the copying was intentional and probably a Correct Craft dig on MasterCraft. That would have to be one hell of a coincidence if not. I think it's pretty clever on CC's part, but I'm not sure the average reader pays enough attention to the ads to make the connection. Good job spotting it and posting it here. Pretty interesting. People are looking at it now, so maybe their mock copy is paying off.

I'm just stoked to see the WakeWorld name plastered all over a two page ad!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-02-2007, 5:18 PM Reply   
I agree david, those adds are great. and Byrd, every industry plays off eachothers ads... its easier for the marketing department yes, but it is funny too.

Both Boats are great in their own right, and each has different reasons to brag...
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-02-2007, 5:38 PM Reply   
Dave- a few years back I believe MC put a sticker on their X-boats that mentioned winning the wakeworld rider's choice award. ;)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-02-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
Yeah, I stole a bunch of those from them at the LA Boat Show! :-)
Old    bocephus            07-03-2007, 7:13 AM Reply   

quote:

By TK (swab791) on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 6:14 pm:

Just an EXAMPLE of ANOTHER MC copy. I will get slammed but that is what it is.

JD Power is a BOUGHT award. As a matter of fact if you look at the review that JD Powers did there is less than 1 percentage point between the top 3. Nobody CRUSHED each other as it has been described. CC pay BIG BIG money to advertize those little TROPHIES.

C'mon CC get a little more original than that.

So smarty pants, know it all dude, please explain to me how I can buy a JD Powers Award. Please tell me, I would like to buy for my business. I would also like to know why someone sends me an JD Powers survey every year or so. You can't buy the award, or everyone would. You pay to use the logo after you win the award, not before!

Go ahead show me where you can buy the award. MC has more than enough money laying around, maybe you could tell them how to buy the award....
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-03-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
John Ruppert, if you have to copy a competitor, that says something to me. Even if it was the way around, I'd still think that copying a competitor is bad marketing. Just because everyone is doing it, doesnt mean it's good marketing, IMO.
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-03-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
big heavy, if MC didnt put out the pickle fork front end on the x-star, no one would have it out. and advertising, MC has sponserd the biggest dirt bike race out Supercross, then CC has got all the next biggest races, all amateur nationals. I mean its good for all companies, but i believe that MC and i guess malibu are the innovators in alot of what goes on in the boat industry.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-03-2007, 12:19 PM Reply   
kdubz,
go buy a Gekko they havent won any awards and there advertising is generic.
Bocreepass,
it doesnt cost anything to win just close to a million bucks to use it in your advertising. However there have been companies (not just boats) in the running for first place and asked by JD if they won would they spend the $$ to use the logo. When they said they werent sure, what do ya know they came in second.
Also how does a boat mfg get first place like CC and Indmar gets first place in the engine category? How do you win first when your powerplant does not?
Just wondering.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-03-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
Yeah & if CC didn't put out a tower no one would have it. It goes both ways. IMO there is nothing wrong with someone recognizing a good idea(picklefork/tower/huge ballast etc) and incorporating it into your new designs. It's called progression. Besides, isn't duplication the highest form of flattery? Be stoked on the boat you own, don't knock others for the one they own. To claim the only MC & Bu dictate most of the boat innovation is retarded. What about Epic? Or Tige? or? To claim they just sit back and wait for what your favorite does is pretty silly.

That being said, I love MC.
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-03-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
All of the top boat manufactures are making good wakeboard boats. What separates them is customer service and customer satisfaction. I have always received great customer service and satisfaction from Correct Craft. That is what the JD Powers award is proclaiming, SATISFACTION.

BTW: I think MC bought the pickle fork rights from Cobalt
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-03-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
i think its the whole attitude CC has had for quite sometime, is now coming back to bite them. They had a far superior boat (I'm avid MC), the SAN seemed more suitable and versatile for riding than did the older X stars. Did they market it to the fullest? Did they sponsor the tour? They did nothing but sit back in their cocky chairs and watch. Watch the opportunity pass by. MC does its darnest to keep in the running, and did a good job at it, and then redefines what a wake boat is. Far surpassing CC in the wakeboat category. So long story short, CC is a follower, because they cannot be innovative, they can't expand on what they have. Seems like a company I would love to work for, sit around and wait to see what the competition does, then copy, and get paid. CC has that attitude, whether you agree or not, and it has given them their customer base, but it has never been innovative or pushing any limits. When they had the opportunity, they sat around at the Masters......
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-03-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
JD Power inteviews the guy who sells his boat after two years, or it sits in his garage never getting used. Ask the kid behind the boat, who is in a boat multiple times a week whats best. Oh, wait, that would be those "under 18 yr olds" that WW's award represents.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-03-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
CC has been copying for years just like their logo a long, long time ago that looked like Coca Cola's.
They are very a conservative company and when they try and do something innovative like hiring a new Head Honcho they just tie his hands and then after that get rid of him.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-03-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
CC did not sponsor the tour but they do sponsor wake games and the WWA nationals. I do like their attitude on grass roots events, they have been a longtime sponsor of the Canyon Lake Wakeboard Club and recently our family as well. I have seen the attitudes of other boat companies that say "grassroots does nothing for our sales" Both California correct Craft, California Skier and MB have supported grass roots and for that we are forever grateful.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-03-2007, 3:54 PM Reply   
BIG HEAVY. Correct Craft DID NOT make the first tower. They only patended it. Did you know MC is the ONLY boat company that has paid in FULL to CC to use that patent?

TIGE an Innovator PLEASE...Copied the PICKLE FORK IDEA. TAPS system GIVE ME A BREAK !
Glorified TRIM tab to help the boat from porposing

EPIC EPIC WHO??? Ugly boat with WAY TO MUCH ballast. Have not even entered the Florida Market as of yet. It will FLOP

CORRECT CRAFT is a FOLLOWER not a LEADER.

CHUCK MC did not BUY the rights to the PICKLE from COBALT. They utilized the same designer as COBALT. Cobalts Boat FAILED MC DID not.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-03-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
TK, I understand that you may so love your boat and that is awesome, but to call CC an absolute follower is somewhat ludicris. Nautiques were invented in the 1920's. When world war 2 came about the goverenment approached and contracted with the Meloon family to produce boats to get our troops to the shore in the most expedient manner. As stated above, all wakeboard boats manufactured today are good boats and can adapt to everybodies' wants and needs.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-03-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
There is an Epic in Destin Florida. Sick looking, sounds amazing, and you can never have too much weight!!
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-03-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
im not a boat hater but thoose epics are the uglyest thing i have ever seen, aside from that tomcat knock off x-star. and no, the tomcats dont look anything like an x-star...lol
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-03-2007, 6:52 PM Reply   
Really, the 'blunt nose' of the Epic looks nothing like I thought it would. I've seen MANY pictures of the boat but when faced with one heading at me from a few boat lengths it took until I could see the graphics on the side before I noticed it was an Epic.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-05-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
TEAM VALDEZ.
Building wooden troop carriers is a far cry from building waterski and wakeboard boats. INDUSTRY related CC sure has not stepped upto the plate the last few years and come out with anything new and unique...unless you can show or tell me other. There latest invention is call "FLIPPER"
Have ya been in one of these? No wonder CC was used at Seaworld. The PORPOISE like crazy !!
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-05-2007, 6:45 PM Reply   
I think we can conclude that TK has never ridden a SAN.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-05-2007, 7:29 PM Reply   
210 is the very best wake I've ever ridden!
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-06-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
The new 236 does porpoise a lot. The 220 did at first but has since been corrected. I'm not sure about the 210, I have only been in the 236,220.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-06-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
210 def porpoised when weighted.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-06-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
TK, you have issues man. Seek therapy.

You make me ashamed to be a Mastercraft owner.

(Message edited by jcv on July 06, 2007)
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-06-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
Not when weighted correctly.

My X2 will porpoise as well when there's not enough weight up front.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-06-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
Porpoise??

What are you guys talking about?? Dumping a bunch of wieght in the lockers over the stock ballast?? Yes, that will cause any boat to porpoise.

I can remember being in an MC and not being able to get on plane because we put too much wieght in the back.

I don't get what you guys are talking about. A design flaw or improper weighting above stock ballast??
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-06-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
Seriously, don't talk about boats "porpoising" when that is due to improper weighting. Any boat will do that. CC is very good at designing hulls, very good at it, as are MC and Malibu etc.

My 02 210 handles pretty nicely with 1800 lbs of ballast in it, as long as I don't forget to wieght the bow!! Simple rule when adding weight over a stock ballast, add as much to the bow as you do to the V-drive lockers.

It makes me upset to hear that porpoising BS about any boat, especially a CC because I know first hand it is BS.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-06-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
TK, when I spoke of the ships built for wartime, I was talking about being a leader and not a follower. Now I may be wrong, but I never saw any pickleforks on the beaches of Normandy. All in all, there is really no reason to bash another boat or its industry. Again, it is all subjective to what a person wants out of a boat.
As far as the weighting issues, the above posts take care of that. I know that when we get a new boat, it takes several attempts to get it just perfect. In our contests, we have seen many, many boats "porpoise" We have to adjust the weight and voila, a great wake. As far as the 236, that is by far, my boys favorite wake.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-06-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
I've been trying to stay out of this but.........

210 proposing when weighted LOL! more like when weighted incorrectly. 236 and 220 apply to that also.

Question - Who was the first to offer a tower on a boat made for wakeboarding? Not who invented

As for a follower....... looks like everyone (including MC, excluding Malibu) is coming up with some sort of walkthrough design.

Personally, I wish someone would copy all the things I like about CC, MC & Malibu and put them into one boat. Copying is good. Bashing another brand to make another look good, bad.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-06-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
The 236 and 220 I was driving had stock ballast and was "EMPTY". When I reached speeds 20- 35mph they porpoised bad, empty. CC realized the problem with the 220 early on and dealt with it quickly. The 236 is still complained about now with and without stock ballast. 23-25 mph is worse with more weight. I spend quite a bit of time in a XStar with 4k plus and never have had it porpoise, at any speeds. CC is a top notch mfg that will fix these problems unlike some others that simply dont have the money to go back and fix.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-06-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
notidad, you want a "Master Bu Tique" or "NauBuCraft" or "MaliMasterTique" that would be a lot better boat than a "Gekkturian" or "TiOomba"
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-06-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
Ok wa wa's. He said he didn't know about 210's, so I chimed in. I love the 210 for it's wake, comfort, everything other than driving. Was it weighted incorrectly? probably most of the time, and we would fix it. Is it still one of my least favorite boats to drive? YES. This is my opinion, so don't get your panties in a wad trying to convince me otherwise.

Why is everyone going to walkthru's? Need a big sunpad for all the ladies
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-06-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
220, I had to ride at least 24mph if I was riding at 80'. Didn't like the feeling of going that fast but the wake was perfect! 210 weighted with 4K of ballast I was able to ride at my normal 23mph, not to mention an all around better wake.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-06-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
Billy - How about CMMTSMC (correct master malibu tigue supra moomba Craft)

I doesn't matter, I just wanna ride. Who cares who's boat has what. You buy it for what you will use it for and as long as you're happy with it, I'm happy with it.

Buns still lay on the pad they just have to lay closer to each other now. Not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.