Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-26-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
I've been looking for a backup board to my beloved Natural for a while now. I finally decided to go with a Cartel even though I have never ridden one. I was told the Natural and Cartel ride very similar... WRONG!

The Natural rides higher in the water, cuts and let's off much easier, and has relatively consistent predictable pop.

The Cartel rides somewhat tail heavy in the water, but when you lean over and put it on edge, the board takes off like a rocket, and pops you straight up huge! I have a tendency to build speed into the wake, and flatten out just a hair as I ride up on my toeside cuts. This board wasn't havin any of the ole cheat the wake habbits. When I tried to pull this little stunt it would slip and slide me up the wake and throw more over the front. When I finally started staying on edge all the way up, it rewarded me with big lofty pop. Lastly, for a board that is much narrower, and shorter than my 144 Natural, it has much softer landings. I'm gonna stick with riding this board for a bit, and see if I can correct my form well enough to ride it a little more consistently. For those who like a fast, abrupt popping board, I highly recommend giving it a demo.

Pics for reference.

Cartel 141
Natural 144

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-26-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
so do you prefer the Cartel over the Natural ?
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-26-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
Glad U like it Cliff!! I heard U blew your ear drum out on an invert, is that correct?
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       07-26-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
Keep those old belmonts out of the sun or they won't last the next five years for you.
That extra set of fins was helping you not cheat on the toeside. There will be a few entertaining crashes while you are getting used to it. I promise not to laugh to hard. Wait.... No I don't.
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-26-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
so tell us man, Natural or Cartel?!
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-26-2007, 11:14 AM Reply   
Jakober,

You would be correct. I blew my left ear drum out yesterday morning.

Montgomery,

I like the pop, and the softer landings of the Cartel. I'm much more comfortable with the forgiving qualities of the Natural. I'm going to ride the Cartel a couple more times, and see if I'm able to tame it before I decide wich board I'm going to use as my main board.

Robert,

Leave my Belmonts alone, they're classics, and deserve respect when you speak of them. The Xenon's are pretty comfy though, and I may just cross over to something made in this century. As far as my toeside, the Cartel is gonna correct my little problem in a hurry. Considering your riding style, this board has your name written all over buddy!
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-26-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
Killer Boots Man ! ! ! lol
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-26-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
Those are one of the best bindings ever made! When I recently had to send in my 2005 Murrays for warranty stuff, I dusted off my 2001 Belmonts and remembered how far ahead of their time they were. Nothing else could touch them back them!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-26-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
where's Andy?! I know he's has some comments for this thread. I love the Natural, I'm on my 2nd one this season. I really would like to try the cartel though..
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-26-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
I almost bought the Cartel at the beginning of the season but I just stuck with my player from last season instead
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-26-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
those bindings on the cartel look so comfortable
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-26-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
Oh, I just love those people at O'brien, they make such great gear.

The Cartel is 100% different than the Natural, the Natty is a board that would be slow if it were not for the delta "chevrons" on the bottom. The Cartel has a design that would is faster than the natty, with the Chevrons it is like a rocket! By far the fast most explosive board I have ever ridin'. I would ride the Cartel if the Player wasnt the great board on earth!

If you think the gear is sick now, I cannot wait to show you what we are working up for 08'. It will change wakeboarding.
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-26-2007, 12:42 PM Reply   
I think everyone has missed the real issue. Those pictures showing the boards were taken when it was sunny....In Seattle.....

Cliff, you must have taken those on one of our 2 sunny days so far this summer
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-26-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
I Love My Player :-)
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-26-2007, 1:58 PM Reply   
I'm gonna rip the wrap on those Blemonts if they show up on my boat tomorrow. Mount them to the wall with all the other backup boards you have and let us remember the good ol' days.
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       07-26-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
Cliff
Blown eardrum? That sucks. At least give me a chance to teach you that back roll before you kill yourself on it.
That is not really the sun in that picture. Cliff just has a really bright street light by his house.