Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (goose_sound_box_marine)      Join Date: May 2007       05-25-2007, 6:49 AM Reply   
I have been working on a security system for boats that works better for the boat environment.
What I need to know is who all thinks this is a good thing and might have interest in owning one if it works well.
Let me know if you have good Ideas or any Positive input.
Thank You ahead of time for the help.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-25-2007, 7:50 AM Reply   
I'd be down. A couple things I think are important. Proximity/motion sensor, loud horn given where it will/would be mounted, and posibly a tilt sensor. I think a shock sensor isn't necessary if you have a good sensitive motion sensor. The price is going to have to be competative, along the lines of the prices people are paying for an auto alarm.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       05-25-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
I'd be interested in how it works and what it does. If it includes a system to make their hair fall out or shock them I'm all for it. If it's just a car alarm that I'll ignore every time it goes off, I could care less
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-25-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
I have heard of guys wiring tazers to the underside of their door handles, a little excessive, but i like the idea. Proximity sensors, i agree, are critical to an open environment.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-25-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
ive used this system when i leave my boat at the dock for lunch. so far no thieves..

also has worked well for my truck.

Upload
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-25-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
Rod, so are you saying if I threw down a nice filet Mignon in the back of your truck, will this dog still attack me for stealing your stereo. Well, actually I might stay in the back and eat the filet with your dog too. heheheh
Old     (ride900)      Join Date: May 2007       05-25-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
We had one in our old boat worked great. We used a few mercury switches and some vibration sensors. keeped at least one a-hole out of our boat in Havasu a few years ago. It was like 5 in the morning and we heard the alarm go off looked out the window and saw some dude crawling out from under the cover. Had to be loud under that cover
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-25-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
Did you chase his a$$ down in your underwear and beat his a$$ mercelessly?
Old     (ride900)      Join Date: May 2007       05-25-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
No as I said we were in Havasu, so at 5:00am we were very hung over, so the alarm did it's job. Nothin was messed up so what ever. Plus I'm a small guy so I can't really fight my way out of a wet paper bag.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-25-2007, 2:54 PM Reply   
That's funny
Old     (ride900)      Join Date: May 2007       05-25-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
funny but true
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-25-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
My friend used to have a company called Boat Patrol, he had a a customized version of a motorcycle alarm system with magnetic switces, motion sensor and also a pager when alarm went off, it also reset itself. We traveled all over and I even had customers in Australia and Europe ect... Most guys compliained because of all the wiring involved( I could instal one in in 2-3hrs, but it was a challenge with some boats) I was off work for 8 months due to a severe back injury and we went to alot off boat shows ect.. Met with West Marine and Bass Pro shops( whom Neal wa sponsored by at the time, he was the owner of B Patrol) and we just could not get a retailer to give us a decent deal to sell them for us. We also could not get any Manufactures to come on board with the system due to the wiring, warranty issues, ect...
We met with a company who could help us create a wireless system but after 4 months we found it just to be too expensive( 1500-2500 retial) with low margins.Sooo... Neal could not market it enough and he had to shut it down 2 yrs later. He was mostly trying to sell to fisherman,yachts ect.. but it just did not fly. We actually sold more in Europe and Australia than anywhere else. I think it a great idea but with my experience I would create a wireless system. Feel free to contact me if you want further info and I'll see where I can help you.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-25-2007, 10:21 PM Reply   
I have a alarm I am about to install in my boat with a prox sensor, and this super bright red strobe light with a 120db siren in it LOL. It will be very very bright and loud. I have installed alot of alarms and I think the prox sensor and someone made a pad that goes under your carped that is pressure sensitive that works too. With the bright strobe led with extra horn it will work. I installed the same alarm in my dads tacoma and when it goes off the horn goes on full blast. Trust me a alarm with a honking horn wont attract anyone but one with the horn full blown on will get a bunch of attention :-)