Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (OkobojiCP13)      Join Date: May 2014       06-02-2014, 9:02 AM Reply   
Morning All,
I am in the market for a new board this summer and I have been reading up on all of the latest products but wanted to see what your person thoughts were on the latest and greatest boards!

In particular, I am looking at making the switch over to Slingshot. I am very intregued with there wood technology and all of the positive reviews of the snappy release of their boards. Manufaturing in the US is alawys a + too !

I am coming off of a Ronix ibex (park bonifay board). I have enjoyed it for a few years now, but I need to upgrade. I am looking for something less restrictive, faster, and poppier (if thats a word)...all signs point to SS for me it seems. Also, my old set up seemed so heavy. I have read that these new boards are lighter which gives them all of the feasutres I just referenced.
Anyone riding the 2013 or 2014 Whip? I feel that its continuous rocker will compare to my old Ibex, but also provide the flexibility I am looking for. I am about 6 foot, 160.. so a 139 would be about where I would wanna be. I would call myself an intermediate rider (180's, 360's, love landing out in the flats, some inverts).

Any suggestions would be great, also would love to hear from those SS onwers and what they like and dislike about their boards.
Thanks !
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-02-2014, 10:33 AM Reply   
Are you planning to use this new board on the boat only or cable only?

If you are going boat only. Get the SS Choice. I know it is the cheapest in their lineup, but don't let that decieve you. It is a blast to ride. The only problem with it is it doesn't have the grind base so it isn't recommended to be used at the cable park. I have the 2014 SS Choice - Jeff House version and I love it. It is noticeably lighter than the rest of the SS lineup cause it doesn't have the grind base to add weight. The Choice is a continous rocker.

I also own the 2014 SS Lyman. My personal opinion, it tracks too well. I had to switch out the fins to smaller ones just to losen it up and make it more playful. I think the Whip is a lot like the Lyman with the molded-in fins. From what I have read, they are good cable park boards. The Lyman is a 3 stage rocker and the Whip is a continous rocker. I honestly think this years Lyman is the same mold as last years Hooke.

The SS Response is basically the Choice with a grind base.

The SS Recoil is a 3 stage rocker without any molded fins. Grind base. It is a good, playful board.

I was actually lucky enough to get to see Jeff House ride last Friday. One of my friends invited him out for some evening shredding. He was rocking his board with the 2014 Rads. He is extremely nice btw.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-02-2014, 10:35 AM Reply   
Hi Chase-

Went from a Ronix Viva to a Slingshot a few years back - a great move, they're fun fun boards, versatile, light, and very well built.

I would recommend one of their "Ballistic" lines, a stiffer core board to keep MORE in line with what you're used to. They break in gradually to a more flexy feel, so by that time you're used to it. Also, your IBEX had a very very aggressive 3-Stage Rocker. I'd recommend you get a 3-Stage or Subtle/Hybrid rocker to keep a somewhat similar feel. A continuous is as far away from what you rode before as you can get.

Boards that would roughly fit that mold from SS: Lyman, Oli
If you're more open to take the leap into flex technology: Recoil, Reflex

If you can, demo demo demo demo. I'm a big fan of the Slingshot Kine they had for 2012 and 2013. Killer board and you can get smoking deals on them online as you can guess. It was a hybrid rocker ballistic series board.

Cheers.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-02-2014, 10:37 AM Reply   
Tim--

I'm pretty sure (aside from some REALLY SMALL changes, if any) that's it's the Hooke mold from 2013.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-02-2014, 10:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye7708 View Post
Tim--

I'm pretty sure (aside from some REALLY SMALL changes, if any) that's it's the Hooke mold from 2013.
Lyman? I believe I mentioned that in my post.
Old     (OkobojiCP13)      Join Date: May 2014       06-02-2014, 1:21 PM Reply   
Ben n Tim, thank you both for all of your comments and suggestions.

Ben, I wish I could just demo all of these boards but there is no one in my immediate area that even sells SS. I live in the midwest so our seasons are short, making it tough for our watersport shops to even make even profit!

During my research I was always leaning towards the Lyman model and have heard great review on it. I agree that moving from a continuous rocker may be a bit extreme for me right now. A good transition may be to go with the Lyman this year and then possibly give another SS a try next summer.

I will be doing 99% of my riding behind my boat so the grind plate wouldnt be need... i wish it was needed tho. A cable park up this way would be stellar but we just get to damn cold up here ha.

Ben, I think I may take your advice. What year is your Lyman... I am not a huge fan of the '13 and '14 graphics, but would prefer the '13 over the '14 hands down. Are there many difference that you know of?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-02-2014, 1:23 PM Reply   
I love my Whip. Pretty sure the Ibex had one of the most aggressive 3 stage rockers out there, though. I prefer the Whip to the Response or Recoil, but everyone has their opinion. I would not recommend the Choice over the Response, as the Response has a better manufacturing process, materials, and warranty.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-02-2014, 4:04 PM Reply   
Hi Chase-

I actually ride the Slingshot Kine from 2012 and haven't gotten my hands on any of the Lyman models… I do dig them though! When that Kine goes, I'll be seriously considering a Lyman model since they discontinued the Kine (or converted it to Windsor's pro model).

I'm not sure what you're meaning by the 'grind plate' but these suckers are DURABLE. I ride 60% boat and 40% cable these last few years and this thing has held up better than any other board I've owned. I was averaging about 2-3 boards a summer and this thing had held through thick and thin, sliders and rails, double ups and otherwise. SS makes a very quality product! Fun to ride too
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-02-2014, 5:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
I love my Whip. Pretty sure the Ibex had one of the most aggressive 3 stage rockers out there, though. I prefer the Whip to the Response or Recoil, but everyone has their opinion. I would not recommend the Choice over the Response, as the Response has a better manufacturing process, materials, and warranty.
As an owner of a Response and a Choice, I disagree with your statement about materials and build process. They are built the same except the Choice lacks the grind base. That is the only difference.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-02-2014, 6:35 PM Reply   
The Lyman is a completely different shape for 2014.

I completely disagree with dezul on its tracking. IMO it rides high in the water and I can kick the rear out just by twitching my hip slightly. I have found that without really knowing how to set an edge, it would be really squirrelly. I'm surprised that we have such differing opinions on it to be honest. I love everything about it. I foresee many good years ahead on my Lyman.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 06-02-2014 at 6:39 PM.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-03-2014, 3:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
The Lyman is a completely different shape for 2014.

I completely disagree with dezul on its tracking. IMO it rides high in the water and I can kick the rear out just by twitching my hip slightly. I have found that without really knowing how to set an edge, it would be really squirrelly. I'm surprised that we have such differing opinions on it to be honest. I love everything about it. I foresee many good years ahead on my Lyman.
My experience was based off of coming from a LF Shane Hybrid and riding my buddies SS Recoil a several times last season. Once I hopped on the Lyman it felt like it took a little more effort to break free for surface tricks. If you think the Lyman is loose then you don't even want to go near the 2014 Choice. It is so light, nimble, and loose.

I put some smaller fins on my Lyman earlier this season and it felt great. However, the smaller fins were the clear acrylic type and they broke off pretty quickly. I am going to talk to my local SS rep about getting some more today. Hopefully he can get me some that are more durable.
Old     (OkobojiCP13)      Join Date: May 2014       06-03-2014, 7:27 AM Reply   
Sounds like the Lyman is my guy then ! I prefer the '13 graphics of the Lyman.. also the price tag is a little lighter too.

Now what about bindings?? Not a huge fan of the new "boot" style bindings...I like the open toe feel. Looking at the Verdict model or Option.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-03-2014, 7:38 AM Reply   
The Lyman that we are both talking about is the 2014, and it's a totally different shape board. Rides very differently. I'd highly recommend riding the 2014.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-03-2014, 8:13 AM Reply   
The 2013 Hooke is the same shape as the 2014 Lyman.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-03-2014, 8:14 AM Reply   
are you sure about that?
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-03-2014, 8:20 AM Reply   
I went from a Ronix District to a Hyperlite Marek, to a SS Recoil. I started riding the Recoil this season. First set I hated it. But the water was rough and I hadn't been on anything but a snowboard all winter. It's really grown on me. The lack of bottom features threw me off at first but now I like that about it. I feel like I edge better now because I have to. The flex isn't as soft as I thought it would be. But its still there and landings are better for those rare instances when I set it down in the flats. It also isn't really any lighter than my Marek was. May actually be slightly heavier. But it has a ton more pop now that I know how to ride it so the tradeoff is worth it.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-03-2014, 8:37 AM Reply   
dezul, it certainly looks almost the same in terms of shape of the board. I wonder if there are any differences in stiffness or rocker profile.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-03-2014, 9:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
dezul, it certainly looks almost the same in terms of shape of the board. I wonder if there are any differences in stiffness or rocker profile.
Based off of what my local SS salesman and myself comparing the two in the store, they are the same. I have only rode the Lyman so I can't give you any riding comparison. They felt like they flexed the same too.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-04-2014, 5:49 PM Reply   
Just out of curiousity, I weighed the 2014 SS Choice. It weighs 6.2lbs. It is difficult to find a board that weight. I first weighed myself twice on the scales just to ensure accuracy and then weighed the board twice. Same number both times for the board.