Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (conar)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-01-2009, 3:16 AM Reply   
my hands blister every time i go wakeboarding i wear gloves and everything but it doesn't really help.

Any tips that you could give to save my hands from pain?

Thanks for the help.
Old     (andrewilso)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-01-2009, 4:31 AM Reply   
Dont were gloves!!!! they are for water ski:-(
after a few weeks you will have hands like a builder
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-01-2009, 4:40 AM Reply   
(see above) That's the consensus you'll get from 99% of wakeboarders...after a few weeks of 20-30 minute sets, no more blister issues. However, what handle do you have? Some are far better than others.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-01-2009, 6:06 AM Reply   
most newer handles are more forgiving on your hands
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-01-2009, 6:23 AM Reply   
Just like everyone else said, BE A MAN!! Once you get the calluses built up, you'll have them forever. A large percentage of the European Cable riders wear gloves but their water is much colder and most cables handles are wooden. The wooden handles aren't an excuse though, but MAYBE the cold water. Bernard Hinterberger wears gloves even when he rides at CWC.
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       06-01-2009, 7:16 AM Reply   
Gloves make blisters worse if they don't fit properly. Plus, you don't need gloves for riding, there isn't enough pull on your hands.

Kyle, colder water helps prevent blisters. Warm water softens the skin up and leads to more blisters.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-01-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
If you feel that wearing gloves helps, by all means wear gloves!

Like others have suggested, try and get yourself a new plush comfy handle. Handles have come a long way. I used to get blisters all the time but with the new handles after finding one I liked; no more blisters.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-01-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
Even comfy plush handles tearup your hands over time. I always seem to have a Micheal Jackson problem after several days of riding. Even when your hands get tough the skin will still rip off. I super glue and tape mine after that.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-01-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
Back when I was slalom skiiing I used to trim the callouses from my hands with fingernail clippers. If you keep letting them build up they will eventually rip loose.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-01-2009, 10:04 AM Reply   
vagisill. Lot's of it. should get rid of the burning too.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-01-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
Everytime a wakeboarder wears gloves... God kills a kitten.

Don't do it.... for the kittens
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-01-2009, 10:55 AM Reply   
agreed... dont wear gloves. its almost as bad as wearing a helmet when your not hitting any obstacles... if your hands rip open, fill with super glue. There is also this stuff called 'new skin' that i hear is pretty good!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-01-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
John had the only advice on here, you need to remove your calluses or they will tear off. Either trim them or get a file and file them flat. Problem solved.
Old     (xclay89x)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-01-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
Dude. Duct tape. Works great no lie.
Old     (bzager)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-01-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
lose the gloves and get a chamois grip handle!
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-01-2009, 12:27 PM Reply   
Chamois handle can still cause you to tear a callus off.

I'll echo what others have said about proper fitting gloves. Don't sweat the "image" of gloves but be aware that modern handles, especially the Chamois style give less grip with gloves!

When you have your gloves on and cup your hand like you were going to hold a handle you should have minimal to no material bulging or folding at the spot calluses form. If your gloves don't fit properly they will bulge here and give you blisters in no time.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-01-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
if you have calluses you should soak them in water and shave them off with a razor like once a month. dont cut them all the way off you need to leave a little bit of dead skin..

a gay gymnist told me that was the best way to keep girly hands...HAHAHA

i rode cable a few weeks back and didn't shave mine and bang ripped one off of each hand first day...
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-01-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
all the glove haters make me laugh. at the end of the day my hands probably feel a lot better than yours :-)

(i wear gloves riding cable but not behind the boat)
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-01-2009, 1:30 PM Reply   
I wear my gloves pretty snug... No issues until they start wearing out and loosening up too much.

Luker- I'm making a jacket out the dead kitten fur....
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-01-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
i wear gloves riding cable but not behind the boat

That's exactly what I do.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-01-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
"its almost as bad as wearing a helmet when your not hitting any obstacles..."

Curt, how'd we get from calluses to bashing riders who wear helmets? Listen, for me, water is obstacle enough, and the helmet has limited the damage from that. Gear up any way you want to protect your body. However, gloves... no way :>)
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-01-2009, 5:15 PM Reply   
Ive worked in construction almost my whole life, i played baseball for 19 years, I lift weights, and I wakeboard...As a result I have dry , scratchy, callused manhands haha and my girlfriend always bitches about how rough they are, but when she comes out wakeboarding shes complaining her hands hurt after 10 minutes haha...i dont know why i feel the need to post this, because it adds no help to this poor young fella and his sore hands but whatever...
Old     (conar)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-02-2009, 4:23 AM Reply   
alright well since it last ripped open i havn't got blisters and i was riding cable for nearly 5 and a half hours
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-02-2009, 6:23 AM Reply   
Note to self when the hands are sore or you might use gloves don't post here so you don't get ripped.
The vagisill post was the best. haha
Old    steelethis            06-02-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
Also, try to avoid letting calluses build up. I made the mistake of assuming that was fine and popped the handle a few times and literally ripped a few off. It's extremely painful and is keeping me off the water for a few days so it can heal. It's literally down to the deepest skin layer and bright red. As gay as it sounds try using a pumice stone to keep your calluses from getting too deep and shaving them off with a razor blade. I did this when I powerlifted in HS and it seemed to help. Consider how you hold the handle too. Try not too get a palmy grip but more like the grip you would use climbing the monkey bars (more fingers than palm) Hope it works for you.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-02-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
I cut my calluses down with some nail clippers. But lately I've been riding a handle with a larger diameter and thats solved my problem immediately. Makes my forearms tired more quickly, but better than bleeding all over my buddies boat after every other set. Tacky materials were the worst for me (i.e. chamosis). Tore my calluses out frequently.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-02-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
"Gear up any way you want to protect your body. However, gloves... no way"

Your hands aren't part of your body???
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-02-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
i found that small diameter handles are way more comfotable. we have a large diameter handle and after 5 minutes my hands are killing me. but the small handle you can ride for 20 min+ with no pain
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-02-2009, 12:34 PM Reply   
You guys that are no glove guys under any circumstances crack me up. I bet everyone of you that says "gloves no way" would be riding with them if you had your hands torn completely open and knew that your "man pal" wouldn't have to know about it.

I consider myself a damn tough individual and riding with torn hands down to the flesh sucks!

I do go with superglue and tape first usually but good god are that may guys really a bunch of style fashionista's?

Hell even your wakeboard god Parks rode with them back in the day.
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-02-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
new skin is the best thing ever!! get yourself a bottle of that and after the blister rips open put on about 2 coats and get back to riding