Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                07-07-2001, 12:11 PM Reply   
I was just wondering, does anybody know if a lot of speed is needed for bigger jumps?
Old                07-08-2001, 5:58 AM Reply   
kevin,
you need more load, not neccesarily more speed.
Old     (krashr31)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-09-2002, 9:10 AM Reply   
yeah load is compared to as acceleration. the more acceleration you have the more pop you will get.also practice ollying up the wake,standing tall against the wake.to harness the load the best pop with the rope at your hips letting it out will waist your load.
Old     (krashr31)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-09-2002, 9:17 AM Reply   
also keep in mind that speed and acceleration are totally different.when football players run the forty yard dash the guy with more speed does'nt always win because its a short race the guy who accelerates faster wins.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-09-2002, 12:05 PM Reply   
Speed gives your distance. Load gives you height. You want to go into the wake very slowly with lots of pull for big air. If you can not feel yourself riding up the wake, your approaching too fast.
Old     (wakemonster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-14-2002, 10:38 AM Reply   
hmmmm, so basically you don'y want to hit the wake straight on, byt rather at like say 45 degrees or so? I am finally getting use to my new board, but cannot seem to clear the wake. I land in the middle marbles everytime and then ride down the other side. Peeps in the boat say I am cutting really hard into the wake but I don't get only 50% of the air other people get. Help?
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-14-2002, 12:46 PM Reply   
That usually means you are either flattening out at the last minute, or absorbing the wake with your knees. Maybe both. Also, what rope length are you riding at? You might need to shorten it at first, for some people 55' others 60'.

Try taking a smaller cut, like maybe 10' or 15' outside, and then coming in. It's really easy to flatten out when you approach with too much speed. Taking a smaller cut will force you to cut hard and edge all the way through the wake, just make sure to "stand tall" at the wake, meaning straighten out your legs and don't let you knees bend as you hit the wake.

The best thing to do is watch video in slow motion of your riding. You should be able to spot what you're doing wrong, and if not either post the video or compare it to a pro and see what you're doing wrong.
Old                10-27-2002, 9:47 AM Reply   
No dude u dont need alot of speed. JUst load and keep the line tight when u come up to the wake just stand up and it will be huge.
Old                11-09-2002, 11:06 AM Reply   
I AGREE WITH YOU RHYS YOU NEED TO BE UP STRAIGHT NO KNEE BEND AT THE WAKE. SWEET AIR
Old                01-13-2003, 8:23 PM Reply   
You need speed
Old                01-13-2003, 8:24 PM Reply   
ok speed is good