Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-04-2003, 10:12 PM Reply   
Do you need a spare with a trandem trailer or how far can you drive on a single.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-04-2003, 11:11 PM Reply   
Yes, i guess you could limp along slowly for miles but that would suck if you blew the other tire on that side
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-05-2003, 12:49 AM Reply   
I often tow long distances and wouldn't consider towing without a spare. Even with a tandem axle, if one tire blows it would put a lot of strain on the trailer and remaining tire if you were to tow for any distance. I recently had a blowout and was lucky to make it home - one of the other tires also had tread separation but it lasted until I got home. That trip was about 180 miles each way, which is way too far to be limping along with one tire missing.

For the price of a spare I wouldn't risk it.
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-05-2003, 1:54 AM Reply   
Its a good idea to have a spare, but its not neccesairy, you can jack up the rear axle, make sure a good tire is in front and tie the axle to the frame using your tie downs or some rope, that will get you to a gas station to fix the tire.
Old     (rdiestler)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-05-2003, 5:25 AM Reply   
Yes, get a spare! I took my new boat out for the first time 3 weeks ago, and got a flat on one of the rear tires. I did not have a spare, AAA will not repair a flat, and at 8:00 pm on a saturday night not many gas stations or garages or open. I don't think there are many gas stations around that will even fix a tire any more. Any way, luckily I knew somebody camping at the lake that night, and borrowed his spare to get home. I have since bought a spare, and I am thinking of buying a plugging kit as well.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-05-2003, 5:29 AM Reply   
definitely get a spare. if you dont, the other tire will blow out too. depending on how far you travel obviously, but the trailer is made to disperse its weight on 2 tires. when one is blown, thats all the weight on one. it wont be able to handle it very long at all!!.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-05-2003, 6:27 AM Reply   
where is the best place to get a spare holder and maybe even a spare and rim?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-05-2003, 8:29 AM Reply   
I've had two blowouts on my tandem trailer and the tire was destroyed before I could pull over in both cases. For all intents and purposes, you're not going very far on only one tire. Definitely get a spare. I bought one and it sits on the side of my house. I just throw it in the back of my truck (along with a jack) whenever I tow the boat.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-05-2003, 8:36 AM Reply   
thanks guys. i definately do not want to be stranded with two little kids either...
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       06-05-2003, 1:09 PM Reply   
The price of a spare will be minimal when your sitting on the side of the road in the heat with your kids!! I have yet to have a blowout but I have a spare and carry a small 4,000lb floor jack with me on everytrip.
Old     (soonerboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-05-2003, 1:30 PM Reply   
Another reason for a spare:

I was pulling the boat home at night when I hit a piece of truck tire that was laying in the road. It went under the truck, but was deflected away from the boat by the spare tire that was on the trailer. The spare cover got a huge black mark and it made a small black mark on the front of the fender, but nothing on the boat. I was glad it was there!

I can get you a spare, btw. E-mail me at dcnchevy@aol.com. I have a shop, it won't be jacked from another boat!!!!!!
Old    exdeckboater2            06-05-2003, 1:38 PM Reply   
I hadn't had a spare for the first year, but I have only trailered locally. We are heading for Lake Powell next week and wouldn't dream of not having one for that. I picked mine up at the local trailer sales center and got the hardware to attach it to the trailer at Bass Pro.

It was shiny zinc plated, but I bought some of the spray on bed liner in a can painted everything with it so it will have more rust preventative on it and maybe won't scratch the trailer where it is attached.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-05-2003, 3:51 PM Reply   
The basic reason that you need a tandom axel trailer in the first place is because a single wheel is not rated to carry the load. If you blow a tire, the remaining wheel will now be carrying twice the load.

I wouldn't expect it to survive for very long.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-06-2003, 2:21 PM Reply   
This shouldn't even be a question.Get the spare.Sitting on the side of the road in 105 degree heat for 2 hours sucks!!!!!Quik story:my friend drives over to my house with new boat,hits tires on curb,bust's seal,has no spare,and looks like a dork.Get the spare.
Old     (faceplant409)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-08-2003, 10:15 PM Reply   
I got caught on the onramp to the Bay Bridge in Oakland,CA with a flat on the front tandem....Boy was I glad I had a spare!!!!And at 10 pm I would have gladly paid triple what it was worth!!!
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-08-2003, 11:05 PM Reply   
Ty,
I had two flats this weekend.. Luckily, They happened at the lake and not on the way... also, the wife was coming up later so I had her get a plug kit. We fixed the first one on Saturday.. woke up this morning, got out of the tent.. and I'll be a.... another flat. Couldn't believe it.
Kieth(the ranger) let us use the air compressor at the ranger station both times. After the 2nd flat, he gave me a brand new spare tire and rim that someone had left at the lake last season and never claimed... It's the exact same size!! He said he thinks they left it knowing I'd need it more thenm they would.

B-
Old    damnation            06-09-2003, 10:22 AM Reply   
I agree that a spare is a necessity! I just got off the phone with Tom at SMP trailers and he is sending me a matching chrome wheel, a Goodyear P205 tire, and paint matched bolt-on carrier for a smokin' $164!!! This is an insane deal! I have been quoted over $400 from a dealer for this setup (not even paint-matched).

I would try calling the manufacturer before your dealer. Most manufacturers are able to sell things like this direct.