Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       03-06-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
Anyone else upgraded their regular trailer lights with the LED versions? If so what type did you go with and are you happy with the results. I don't really have a good reason for wanting to do mine...just bored waiting for warmer weather and looking for boat projects.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-06-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
Tim,
I did all mine this fall. I work for a company that manufactures LED trailer lighting. We are among other things an OEM supplier to many of the boat trailer MFG.s
http://optronicsinc.com/oemtruck5.htm
http://optronicsinc.com/oemtruck3.htm
I went with 2 of the 6" Oval LED's in Red lens, red leds and 2 of the 6" Oval LED's with Clear lens, reflective background and red LED's .. THEY are cool. I'll try to find out if any of our customers sell them online..
Also, I'll try to get pics over the weekend. I replaced all the small red and yellow markers with LED. Great thing is they are waterproof and LED's don't burn out or blow out like incandescent.. If you have the grommet mount styles like I do, they pop out, unplug and are easily replaced!
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-06-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
I upgraded mine last year, got 'em cheap here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Red-Oval-22-LED-Truck-RV-Trailer-Stop-Turn-Tail-Lights_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33713QQihZ001QQi temZ110229578421QQtcZphoto
Old     (fitzh2o)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-07-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
Replaced mine a couple years ago-love the look! Also the old lights had a big current draw on the old Dodge! The LED's for stop/turn/tail that I used are from Wesbar, and side marker and reverse are from Optronics-used 4 of the 6" clear for reverse-2at the back of the trailer and 2 at the rear of the fenders-nice to see where the boat is going in the dark!
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-07-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
Might sound silly but look for a local semi truck/trailer repair place. They have all the direct replacement leds for most trailers. I did the two oval with the 50 led bulbs, two amber and two red small rectangular leds for the fenders, the 3 red light bar for the rear and the license plate light for $90 including the gromets.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-07-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
I have all of the LED lights sitting in a box in my garage for the last six months. Just need to get off my phat arse and put them in....maybe you just gave me my weekend project.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-08-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
Tim,
Here are mine. I put the Clear/mirrored wth RED LED's in the inside and the red lens with red led's on the outside. You could go with all of either..
Upload
pic is not great.. it was in my storage fence..
They look GREAT at night. I did all the red/yellow side markers in LED as well. As mentioned above, it is way less amp draw on your truck as well. They pop in easy and plug up easy.
BW
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-09-2008, 12:46 AM Reply   
Trailer lighting got me thinking, has anyone done neon ricer glow on a trailer?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-09-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
Seriously
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-09-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
http://www.owllighting.com/sequencer.html has a led sequencer that lights up like a run way when the trailer is in the water to guide you in at night. Little over the top but it would be a fun gadget.
Old     (epic_peachland)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-09-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
Ryan I have seen that....it is actually annoying as can be...a guy down the street has it only it stays on the whole time the lights are plugged in EXCEPT when he hits the breaks...major pain in the ass.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       03-09-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
Thanks BW!

I really appreciate you taking the time to post the photos. I have a boatmate trailer and measured my lights today. Looks to me like my stock lights are 6.5 in long. I am wondering if the 6inch ones fit my application? Do you know if the company you works for supplies boatmate with their lights?

Thanks again for your help!
Tim
Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-09-2008, 8:56 PM Reply   
BW,

I don't see the clear/mirrored with the red led's on the web site. I'm I just over looking them?

Joe
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-09-2008, 10:26 PM Reply   
nu bu, don't get me wrong, I DO NOT want it, just wondering if anyone has, i thinks its trashy.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-10-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
Ok good, I was worried there for a minute
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
Supra/ boat mate trailers come stock in 08 with the LEDS, the 07 had it as an option. You could check with boat mate trailers on their lights?
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-10-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
Go to a trailer repair shop (not a U-Haul, but a true trailer place) and you should be able to get good prices. Don't waste time at a car parts store.... you'll pay top dollar.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-10-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
Joe Puckett, You are correct, they are not updated on website yet.. I'll look into. Yes, we are a supplier to Boatmate..

TIM, if your lights are oval, look like my pic, then they should be the standard 6" oval. I am not sure of anyone who makes a 6" so odds are you have the 6" oval.

I am trying to find an online supplier for ours. I work on the hunting/outdoor side of the business, not in the truck/trailer/auto side. I sell some of these in different retail pkg to hunting/outdoor customers.

(Message edited by 04outback on March 10, 2008)
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       03-11-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
Thanks BW

Let me know if you find a distributor...

Tim