Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (stang7tl)      Join Date: May 2011       07-06-2013, 4:38 PM Reply   
I have been playing around on my 74 southwind. I have a 750 in the back 400 in front left 500 on surfside and 400 to move around.
Now I see a lot of boats having a trim plate in the middle my boat is the v-hull does anyone know if I can install one on it?

also the boat had motor switched out and is now left hand but still the right side gets better wave when weighed for left surf LOL

if any has info on what I can try I am all hears
Old     (stang7tl)      Join Date: May 2011       07-06-2013, 9:44 PM Reply   
no HELP
anything
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-07-2013, 12:09 AM Reply   
That's a pretty old and rare boat so I'd be surprised if you got any help here. Especially if you're expecting it soon. Try the Correct Craft forums. Good luck.
Old     (stang7tl)      Join Date: May 2011       07-07-2013, 2:32 PM Reply   
I was told it has the same hull as the Barefoot SN just higher sides
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-09-2013, 8:57 AM Reply   
www.planetnautique.com
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-09-2013, 11:13 AM Reply   
It isn't the same hull at all. It's a substantially deeper V. real cool boat actually, but since it's a true V, it'll be pretty sensitive to weight movement. Best bet is to just play around. By the way, the "higher sides" are called freeboard. You have more freeboard than most flat bottom boats. Be careful moving that weight around since the Southwind is a pretty small hull even if it can handle a good amount weight. I would slam it in the back to begin with. Get enough weight that you're 6" off the water at the transom (both 400's in the back?) then put the 500 in the nose opposite of the surf side, and put the 750 on the surf side. By the way, how the hell is a Southwind floating, with 2050lbs in it plus a driver???
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-09-2013, 11:26 AM Reply   
I think you have the wrong boat for what you want to do... time for an upgrade IMO.
Old     (stang7tl)      Join Date: May 2011       07-09-2013, 4:37 PM Reply   
thanks for the info even when I have all the weight in that I told you about I also had myself 170 another friend 215 and his girl 120 LOL and it still rides a solid 8-10"s below the rub rail. Ill just keep playing around plus I need to find a another prop probably 13x11
Old     (stang7tl)      Join Date: May 2011       07-09-2013, 4:38 PM Reply   
this is the bigger 20" model not 18 also
Old     (stang7tl)      Join Date: May 2011       07-09-2013, 4:39 PM Reply   
Old     (stang7tl)      Join Date: May 2011       07-09-2013, 4:47 PM Reply   
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-10-2013, 5:33 AM Reply   
I didn't even know there was a 20ft southwind... I had only heard of an 18ft'r. No matter what you do, that deep of a v-hull is going to be tougher to surf. On the other hand, with 2500lbs in it, I'd imagine it'll throw a beast wakeboard wake. Definitely look for a new prop since your motor will be having a rough time pushing that weight around...

For surfing... Get your rear rubrail (on the surf side) down to within 4-5 inches of the water. Run 10-12mph depending on where the wave curls. Start with just rear weight and move your buddy around, Once you have a big wave, start adding side and forward weight to give the wave a pocket. If I were you, I'd put the 750 on the surf side laying across the back, the 400 on the other side beside the motor and just start with that. Have your buddy sit on the sac, then the spotters chair, then the bow, then the 400, and see how each affects the wave. Then add the next sack. Keep adding till you get the best wave you can come up with.

Better idea: Demo the boat for some wake buddies, sell it for 3500-4500, and go buy a supra sunsport that'll surf for days with 1500lbs...
Old     (stang7tl)      Join Date: May 2011       07-10-2013, 12:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimme View Post
I think you have the wrong boat for what you want to do... time for an upgrade IMO.
well this is my upgrade LOL I have a 88 Regal i/o that I put everything you can do for it and is fun but want to wakesurf. I guess the good thing is I traded my ATV for it and it had a EFI 350 freshwater cooled motor put in a few years ago so that is a big plus

but I have put a good bit into it from a xtreme swoop tower
fat sacs
johnson pumps
system etc
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-10-2013, 1:11 PM Reply   
that back swim step is going to have to come off, or it will be completely underwater while surfing, skewing the wave