Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-16-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
I though about putting a transom remote on my boat and am wondering if anyone has had any problems with the sony transom remote. I want to make sure it is durable. Thanks....
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-16-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
i've never had experience with the sony brand, but my boat came with the clarion remote on the transom. the one it came with had the lcd and it had taken a dump with only 25 hours on the boat. i replaced it with a smaller version that doesn't have the lcd and it seems to be holding up well.

so, the moral of the story is, unless you have to have an lcd, i might go with a remote without it. just more stuff to break.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-17-2008, 4:57 AM Reply   
I have the old style Sony transom remote with the LCD and I'm on my third one. It's a piece, but at this point the holes are already there and I have a $50 billet bezel for it so I haven't switched to the new style. The new style looks nice but I don't know anybody that has one so I'm not sure how good they actually are.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-17-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
scooter.

I have the Sony transom remote on my Malibu, and have had 0 problems with it. I know it has been splashed a few times, and touched with wet fingers constantly and no problems.

I also like that it has a display with it, unlike some of the others.

Here is a link with a picture to the model that is on my transom..

http://www.xplodsony.com/marine/accessories/RM-X55M
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-17-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
Thanks! That is the one I have looked at, there is also this unit. It don't have a screen, so one less thing to fail on it. Just can't decide which one to use.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=500159&s_kwcid=adwords_rm-x11m
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-17-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
The Sony remotes are hit and miss. For two years, they seemed to fail somewhat often. The most recent ones have been pretty good. From my experience, most people cause them to fail by splashing the remote with the garden hose while washing their boat.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-17-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
So if it rains while on the lake will this make them fail too?
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-17-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
i don't think they are that sensitive scooter.

I've washed my boat a few times with the high pressure wand at the carwash, been out on the lake in the rain, boat sits on the lift at the dock all summer and although its got a roof, its certainly not totally dry from the rain, especially in the back where the remote is.

i think you can pull the trigger on a transom remote without worrying too much about it.

it certainly is nice when you and your friends are hanging out in the water behind the boat to not to have to climb up and get in all soaking wet when a song you don't like comes on and to want to change it.

also, people who aren't avid boaters are always impressed with transom remotes, they always get a kick out of the fact that you can control it from back there, like its super high-tech or something.

(Message edited by tj_in_kc on October 17, 2008)
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-17-2008, 12:07 PM Reply   
It all depends on how old the remote is. The 04-05 run of remotes failed A LOT.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-17-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
I have both the new and old style Sony remote. The old style.. which I had below the rub rail on the back.. I went through two of them... the new style... lasted a little bit long... but it has some water damage now....

When I am surfing.. the water hits it when I come to a stop.. and forces its way in over time...

If I had to do it over again.. i probably wouldnt even bother with a transom remote...

I rarely use it...
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-17-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
I got the one tj posted for 2 years now and haven't had a problem with it yet. I don't try to keep it dry either. I rarely use it and have it unplugged because everyone seems to want to touch it or lay back on it when on the platform.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-17-2008, 7:04 PM Reply   
I have been running the Pioneer remotes on my last two boats. 300+ hours with no problems ever.

Knock on wood.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-17-2008, 7:45 PM Reply   
not one problem with mine, i just dont like them in general and will not have one on my next boat. number 1 thing i hate is people lean over to grab something, like knuet juice etc.. while standing back there and always hit the volume up or skip etc.. it sucks for because it happens all the time and i get irritated. other than that i never use it and its just another hole in your boat for no reason. my 2 pennies.

Upload
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-11-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
my sony transom remote is broken too only 1 season and it was broken. can you put on a clarion or pioneer instead or is the connector different?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-11-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
my buddy has had one on his for about 3 years. inly problem he has is the buttons get pushed by people in the back all the time changing the source or volume or something like that. we ended up unplugging it. i would mount it behind the grab rail to avoid this
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-11-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
I had 2 in my old boat with no problems. My new boat came with 2 of the Sonys as well and I have had no problems. Worse things as stated beofre was people on the back bumping into the remote and turning the volume wayyyyy up or skipping the song. I wish they made one you could lock the buttons on to keep that from happening.