Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-05-2010, 4:28 PM Reply   
I am thinking about adding a hitch to my boat trailer so that I can also tow my 16' Hobie Cat. Have any of you guys done a hitch install on the back of your boat trailer? How does that work exactly? Is there a removable cross bar setup?
pics?
thanks!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-05-2010, 10:03 PM Reply   
Idk about double trailering with the boat in the middle. but ive also never seen 2 boats double trailered at once. good luck bro, I got nothin man.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-08-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
it's illegal to do that in CA, not sure about where you are? Sorry, I know that's not much help for you.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-13-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
I'm researching for a friend about making or buying some sort of hitch for the back of their boat trailer for their small pop up. SO, I'm opening this thread back up. I swear a while back that someone on here had a pic of a custom made removable hitch for the back of their boat trailer. If your going to bash, don't waste your time because I know this can be done safely, especially when utilizing trailer brakes on both while in tow.

I also saw this pic via a Tige' guy on facebook:

Where can you buy these hitches, or how do you make them? I've searched online forever trying to find info and there's nothing.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-13-2010, 3:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by regalado1 View Post
it's illegal to do that in CA, not sure about where you are? Sorry, I know that's not much help for you.
depends on the length.

My friend tows his boat behind his trailer towed behind a truck. Pretty sure the cutoff is near 66ft.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-13-2010, 4:05 PM Reply   
^^He must have a 5th wheel trailer^^
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-16-2010, 4:43 PM Reply   
Double tag is illegal in California no matter what length... some states will allow just be careful when crossing state lines. Richard is correct first trailer must be a 5th. Check with your state first might not even be possible where you live.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-16-2010, 9:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendo247 View Post
^^He must have a 5th wheel trailer^^
yup thats it. I neglected to mention that.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-18-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   

They're called road trains.

In any event, where you can double tow the first must be a 5th wheel to be legal (as far as I know). Maybe some exceptions in some states, some states only limit total length, or some probably just don't care.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-18-2010, 3:07 PM Reply   
Just piggy back the Hobie on the trailer like they do with jet skis. You will need to get creative with loading/unloading.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-19-2010, 6:22 AM Reply   
I would be pretty hesitant to effectively double the load on the tongue/brake actuator of the front trailer. I would think the first trailer would have to be engineered from the ground up for this purpose to be truly "safe"
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-19-2010, 6:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I would be pretty hesitant to effectively double the load on the tongue/brake actuator of the front trailer. I would think the first trailer would have to be engineered from the ground up for this purpose to be truly "safe"
That's why most states demand a 5th wheel on the first trailer.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-19-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
Trains are not illegal in CA!

Have you seen UPS trucks with two trailers? And construction semis (bottom dumps) with two trailers also? They are legal, as long as you have the proper driver's license.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-19-2010, 3:32 PM Reply   
Kvoman,

What do all your examples have in common?.... The first trailer is a 5th WHEEL... and yes in order to tow them you need a Class "A" license with a "doubles endorsement".
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. Yes, you can operate a train/tandem in CA, if you're properly equipped, in this case, a 5th wheel and then an auxiliary, up to 60' in total length, under a certain weigh per axle, and within certain width, height, etc.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.html/veh_..._contents.html, Division 15.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
Some pics from someone who did the trailer towing another trailer route. Not saying that it's legal or not, just showing pics.
Attached Images

Old     (dirtracer27x)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-20-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
looks home made and not very safe,unless your just towing a shopping cart,imho
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2010, 11:09 AM Reply   
I think it was used to tow another PWC on a trailer, light load.