Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-02-2005, 11:22 AM Reply   
Does anyone know how a 1990 malibu skier wake is for wakeboarding. With and without fat sacks.
Old    powerstroke            04-02-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
i'm sure it is just like any older dd boat they are all good. the more weight the better but for the price i am sure you cant go wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (agfan12)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-02-2005, 12:31 PM Reply   
I have a buddy who has his '89 for sale. It throws a really realy nice wake when weighted...I think I've only been behind it once when it wasn't weighted...not bad. But weighted I was very VERY impressed.

I really don't think you can beat the deal on his...it is in Supreme condition...

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=37849
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-02-2005, 6:21 PM Reply   
I own a 90 skier I think the wake is comparable to any ski boat boat in that size. I get mine pretty big by using a 1000 pound launch seat in the back and a 500 pound sack in the front. I just ordered a new prop this season so the hole shots wont be a problem at all even with the big boys riding. Sense I have had mine I got a custom ballast riged up, wake design tower and now im adding my stereo. The one in the for sale section is in really good condition and worth the money.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-02-2005, 7:41 PM Reply   
I have a friend at home with a 89 Skier and the wake is not bad at all for a small direct drive boat. We put a fat sack on each side of the engine and place some weight in the closed bow. I ride the boat about 21 mph on a 70 ft. rope and the wake is pretty good.
Old    penny4urthots            04-02-2005, 9:55 PM Reply   
I am a huge fan of "bu" but lest we forget to remember the MODEL NAME here. "Malibu Skier"

I'm stoked for you to just be able to ride behind a boat of your own, beggers can't be choosey ya know.
Old    flipout            04-03-2005, 3:33 PM Reply   
I learned to ski behind a 1990 malibu skier and I don't care what the name is.... It's not got a good ski wake. The boat was a little heavy and with a good sac it should be good. I use to do some serious air tricks on a kneeboard behind that boat back before the wakeboard days. I have a 1996 Tantrum with a custom ballast system from wakezilla and thats a ski or barefoot boat until you fill up the sacs. if it does fine so will that skier.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       04-03-2005, 5:16 PM Reply   
I owned a 94 Skier for 10 years and the slalom wake was awesome. The boat handled like a sports car too. My kids got older and wakeboarding became the priority. I had an extended pylon and fat sacs, but we outgrew the wake. It would throw a good shape medium size wake. It is a fairly small boat w/ low freeboard, so I did not want to overweight it. Great boat, good solid pull, fun to drive, but has its limits for a big wake. The 94 weighed 2400 lbs, which is probably one of the lightest inboards out there; very nimble when not weighted.
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-03-2005, 5:46 PM Reply   
Here are a few pics of my 91 Malibu Sunsetter; my boat is about a foot longer and just slightly wider than the "skier", but I believe the wake is very similar. These pics are from a few weeks ago; this is with about 2200lbs of ballast in the boat:

http://www.fototime.com/B8217F5AC14E761/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/D4EEE27E93241FD/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/DC3188F9DE8A8BF/orig.jpg

I have since moved the front red fat sac down into the ski locker and added some lead weight in PVC tubes under the seats, so the kids/wife don't have to walk over fat sacs up front at least. The skier will obviously be a closed bow so you won't have that problem.
Old    flipout            04-04-2005, 3:18 PM Reply   
Rich, If you think the wake behind a skier was great, you should try a tantrum or a sportster. there is no comparison.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-04-2005, 9:25 PM Reply   
I have had a lot of skiing experience in the past between both an '89 Sunsetter and a '92 Skier. The wakes are not even close. The Skier has a really good slalom wake/decent mid range boarding wake with a good shape as Rich said. The Sunsetter has a horrible slalom wake and a decent wakeboard wake. I loved the '92 Skier we had. I wish I had that boat back some days. 1200+ hours and no problems, great all around boat, and fun to drive.