Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    wyldsilas            07-23-2003, 7:40 AM Reply   
Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with their boat taking on too much water? This is an '03 btw. The dealer said that it should take on about "6 drops a minute". His estimate was about a quart a day. But, I run my bilge pump at least once an hour, give or take. Usually it runs for at least 20-30 seconds. I know this isn't normal. I just can't figure out where it's coming from. I suspect that it's coming in around the drive shaft. Anyone have any insight?
Old    wyldsilas            07-23-2003, 8:53 AM Reply   
*bump*
Old    leggester            07-23-2003, 9:06 AM Reply   
I'd suspect the packing around the shaft.

A friends new Malibu had that problem and the dealer took care of it in 30 minutes.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-23-2003, 9:11 AM Reply   
i have run my bilge once when my brother in law took about 30 gallons over the bow. our boat is dry in the back. we get a little water that sits in the floor locker that i vacuum out when i put it away. you definately need to have the packing tightened.
Old    wyldsilas            07-23-2003, 9:28 AM Reply   
That's definitely not the case with my boat. It's never been dry. There's been more than a few times I've lifted the rear bench and found 2-3 inches of water in the bilge. The good news is that it doesn't do it while the boat is just sitting in the water. Of course, just thinking it through, some of it may be water coming over the back when we have a lot of weight in the boat and we stop quick(I seem to remember something like that happening once when the missus was driving.)

As for the packing, I'm thinking I can get in there and do it myself. Is it a lot different than packing a pump seal or something like that? Does it just need tightening or should packing material be added?
Old    sandman            07-23-2003, 9:32 AM Reply   
It is most likely the shaft packing was not put in properly from the factory. It is a PITA to work on in a V-drive. Trust me I had the same problem and re-packed mine myself. It was not easy. Since yours is an 03' I assume it is under warranty. Take it back to the dealer and let them do the work. That is what warranties are for.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-23-2003, 9:32 AM Reply   
Wyld, do you have a locker sack? Mine leaks a lot and I'm too lazy to fix it. People getting in the boat wet also brings in an amazing amount of water.

B-
Old     (onealrep)      Join Date: May 2002       07-23-2003, 9:34 AM Reply   
I just started taking in quite a bit of water in my 03 V 210 also. It just started the last few times out. Before I was actually amazed at how little water I would take on over the course of a day, my bilge pump hadn't seen action since I bought the boat. The last few times out, I've been pumping out decent amounts of water every 1 1/2 hours or so.

My speedo has also stopped working, and the lines and pickups are clear..anybody else have a similar problem?
Old    wyldsilas            07-23-2003, 9:41 AM Reply   
Bryce- You're right. I need to just take it to the dealer. I just don't want to miss out on any lake time. Maybe I'll just wait until the end of summer.

Barry- Hey Bro.....not yet. I'm the guy that you've been emailing back and forth about it. I finally got the email about my phone number. I'll be shooting that off to you shortly. Thanks for your time btw.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-23-2003, 10:04 AM Reply   
What a bunch of wimps.

My BU gets 3" of water in the center locker after every outing! It is a paid for option called the MLS - Malibu Leak System.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-23-2003, 10:19 AM Reply   
Gotcha, Wyld... If you need me to, I'll buzz you when I get it.

B-
Old    damnation            07-23-2003, 10:20 AM Reply   
dane is right. If you have an auto ballast system it is likely a leak in one of the pumps or fittings. I get water in my Wakesetter, but never once got any water in my old Sunsetter (well, except for that one time when one of my sacks busted, but we won't talk about that).
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-23-2003, 10:38 AM Reply   
chuck,
do you use the larger lets go ride sac?
Old    damnation            07-23-2003, 10:58 AM Reply   
Ty, have you had problems with the V-Drive 500 sacks? I have had the fill nozzles rip off of two of them my last two times out. Good thing they have a good warranty! Now all I have to do is get my hands on a digital camera!
Old     (onealrep)      Join Date: May 2002       07-23-2003, 11:54 AM Reply   
ty-

yes, i am using the larger sac...why do you ask?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-23-2003, 12:34 PM Reply   
pete from lets go ride let me know that on the first run of those large sanger sacs they forgot to put the rubber gaskets under the nozzles. check to see if you have them. if not he said he will send them to you. i thought i emailed you that a while back. the nozzle reverse threads off and they fit right in between the locker and the sac
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-23-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
dave,
are they the lgr sacs?

if so no probs, actually looking to buy a couple more soon
Old    damnation            07-23-2003, 1:15 PM Reply   
Yeah, they are the LGR sacks. I really like the sacks and always rave about them. However, I was rather disappointed when they both ripped. It appears that the glue used to mount the filler nozzles got brittle and just pealed off. Oh well.
Old     (onealrep)      Join Date: May 2002       07-23-2003, 1:32 PM Reply   
Ty-

You did e-mail me, and I got the gaskets from Pete...I don't think it's my bag, I have had my bag in all season, I just started noticing the water the last week or so. I need to get my boat in to have the speedo checked out and a couple other small warranty issues, I guess I 'll have them check the packing as well.
Old    wes_the_gimp            07-23-2003, 10:24 PM Reply   
We also take on a lot of water. But I was thinking it was from the large wave that catches up to us just before we turn around to pick up the rider.

Many speedo problems this weekend. Lots of debris in the water. Three times I had to push the pick ups back down after impacts. Also pulled a bunch of wood slivers out of both pickups.
Old    wes_the_gimp            07-23-2003, 10:31 PM Reply   
Next time out in the water, pull up the rear seat and the access panel under it. The shaft seal can be inspected from there. Then see what the drip rate is. Dont forget to run it in reverse as well.
Ours was leaking alot in reverse. Not too much in forward, and none when in neutral.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-24-2003, 6:42 AM Reply   
Why not just get rid of the shaft seal and put in a PSS shaft seal, they never leak and require no maint. A couple trips to the dealer to have yours adjusted would pay for the PSS.
Old    wyldsilas            07-24-2003, 6:36 PM Reply   
Tom-

What's a "PSS" shaft seal.
Old     (ocrider)      Join Date: Dec 2001       07-24-2003, 7:07 PM Reply   
Wyld,

That is water coming in through the packing, but it's not because of anything wrong per se. On most shaft's that I have seen, there are two big plastic nuts (for lack of a better term) that tighten against each other. There should also be a cotter pin holding the two nuts together. The best thing to do is pull the pin and rotate the outer (facing the front of the boat) nut one wrench flat. The next little hole should line up for the cotter pin. Then go put it in the water and see how much water is coming in. You basically keep doing this until you get a few drips a minute.

The key is not to overtighten because if water stops coming through, then you will burn up your packing and then you will need to replace it.

Good luck.

Ryan
Old    wyldsilas            07-24-2003, 9:32 PM Reply   
Thanks Ryan. I'll check it out.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-24-2003, 10:07 PM Reply   
PSS is a brand of shaft seal that does not use packing that is why they require no maint. skidim has them you can check them out at there web site http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PY1HG10X17&variation=&aitem=1& mitem=4. My boat came with the PSS seal and it does not leak a drop its the only way to go.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-25-2003, 9:20 AM Reply   
Sangers suck. The wood is probably leaking.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-25-2003, 12:23 PM Reply   
Chris: Hope mine doesnt rot and sink next week.
Old     (jmanjohn)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-25-2003, 6:19 PM Reply   
Might be termites!