Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-15-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
sup just curious does any one know how a guy would get sponsored? i have a video butt what else do i need?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXhMOaeLgmU

note this video is (UNEDITED).}}}}
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-15-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
1. Be able to speak and write well. Sponsors are interested in how well you can communicate with others - you are a salesman.

2. Be able to teach well. Clinics are essential to sponsor marketing.

3. Ride well and place in tournaments.

4. Be photographed and video'ed extensively. You need marketing materials.

5. Be a role model. You will have groms looking up to you. You need to be worthy of a parent's trust.

6. Start with your local shop. You work up to national exposure.

Notice that most of the criteria does not involve riding.

Good luck.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-15-2008, 6:33 PM Reply   
Karl's points are right on. I remember early on in my sons career one of the 1st questions asked by many sponsors was "how are your grades" Riding skills are not their 1st priorty when looking for someone to represent their company.
Good luck.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-15-2008, 6:39 PM Reply   
Cool thanks.
i have been helping all the young riders at my lake. i have been also been getting other people to start and other riders to get pumped on the sport. i have also been placing well at all the comps i have been in.

thanks
Old     (josh_cole)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-15-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
I'm really going to agree with everything that Karl says. Key is to write and speak well, don't use slang like sup and try not to spell words incorrectly. and always be there to help out the little guys, don't curse around them, always be proper and never say anything to knock anyone down. Basically, all that i'm saying is to follow the guidelines of the sport, our sport is to build, to reach our potential then surpass it.

You will find how easy it is to get sponsors and to make friends in the business even though you don't ride the best, as long as you are a role model and can represent their company by being someone people can look up to.

Good luck man, i wish the best for you.
P.S. nice shredding in the vid., keep it up!

Josh Cole
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-15-2008, 11:55 PM Reply   
Move to a town that has a small LOCAL wake scene that is just starting up and you might get in just by SIMPLY ASKING.

;)

...no this is not what i have done (not sponsored and probably never will be), but this is practically all it seemed to take to get sponsored for a friend of mine, in tiny ol' Page Arizona, Lake Powell. at least that is how i understood it from him (i am probably over simplifying it even for his case). I would be tempted to do the same, but i don't have the time to attend li'l contests and such in phoenix and stuff like that (newly wed and newly father here).

But it'd be nice to get a chance to ride Bro Stock next year... but i bet the invites will be even more strictly selective next year. the '07 bro stock was completely volunteer, sucked i had to go when they announced it. probably missed my only chance for an AM contest like that. I feel like a poor excuse of a wake pioneer for this area...

*** sorry, bit of a hijack going on here... i'll stop before i get ahead of myself
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-16-2008, 7:01 AM Reply   
There are some get points on here. I know when I was first starting out aw well my sponsors wanted to make sure I was doing well in school. Many of them (sponsors) are looking for more than just talent; they are looking for roll models. Some one with their head on straight.

When I was like 15 I got some lessons from Zane, this is way back when we worked for Sammy Duvall at Disney. All I wanted to learn from the lessons was how to be a pro! What did I have to do to wake board full time, more so than learning new tricks. He gave me the best (almost gangsta) advice ever, he said, "Stay true to the game not the Fame, the rest will come with time." Basically he went on to tell me how so many people in wakeboarding and extreme sports in general get this chip on their shoulder thinking that they are the best thing that ever happened to this sport. This creates a big head and a horrible attitude. No body likes these guys, everyone knows or has seen one before. The guy who goes nuts in a contest when he falls, talks a huge game all the time, puts other riders down. So stay to the game not the Fame.

Sounds like you’re on the right track! Sorry for the super long winded response.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-16-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
Get to know all your local reps and volunteer to help them out at events.

Otherwise, all these points are spot on. Talent is important, but only a small part of getting sponsored. There are a ton of great riders that will never make it in the industry because the dont walk the right walk or talk the right talk.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-16-2008, 12:16 PM Reply   
you are a great young rider...Keep it up. There's a lot of talent out there.

This was my reply to a similar post a week ago:

you don't have to be good at boarding to be sponsored. I'm an advanced rider (only have 5 diff inverts, etc..) and have been sponsored by CWB (team faction) and now Ronix. I'm not sponsored because of my riding...Well, it helps! CWB sponsored me when I lived in Hawaii because I was trying to help out the community in the islands and push CWB. It's not how much they can give me....But it's really how much I love the company that sponsors me and how can I help them out. IF they push me a board, bindings, rope/handle, clothing every year, then great. But never expect it. Just be happy to help a company that you believe in. The free stuff usually comes about. However, I don't expect it (ever). Hope this helps