Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (lemytry)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-16-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
do any of you guys have boat lifts?

if so what size price and company

thanks guys
Old     (wakengineer)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-16-2006, 6:52 PM Reply   
I just ordered a Hewitt 4600 lb lift for little under $5000 (with a canopy).
Shore station is a good brand but a comparable lift was around $7500
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-16-2006, 7:19 PM Reply   
What type of lift are you looking for?
Ours is a cradle kit that hangs from the rafters of boat house.

Boat lift distributors gave me the best deal
1-800-657-9998

hope this helps,
Danny
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-16-2006, 9:05 PM Reply   
Hydrohoist 3500lb U-dock mount, works well, would size up next time.
Old     (tige22ityper)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-17-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
Kyle,

Is the Hewitt lift hydraulic or mechanical? Does that price include shipping and installation?

I have been looking for a lift, but not sure which way to go. I like the Hydraulic lifts, but they are spendy. I have been quoted around $2800 for a mechanical Craftlander that is rated at 4500 lbs and includes shipping. It has 54 inches on travel. I can get a solar panel battery system and remote controls for an additional $1000. That seems to be a very competitve price. Would like a canopy, but that will have to come later.

Anybody want to comment on mechanical versus hydraulic? Pros/Cons? I am curious as to the reliability of the mechanical and the hydraulic. The people that I know that do have lifts have hydraulic. I don't know anyone that uses mechanical type lifts.
Old     (wakengineer)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-17-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
Zach- I emailed you.
The lift was mechanical, and I am picking it up from the marina and building it myself. I used to work at a marina where I built and repaired Hewitts and Newmans. If I could afford a Hydraulic lift, I probably would have bought one.
However, there are a few more things that you have to maintain on a hydraulic lift.
I am not familiar with craftlander, but that sounds like a good price, Also, there are aftermarket motors that you can put on a mechanical lift.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-17-2006, 10:36 PM Reply   
I recently got a new Sunstream 6,000lb hydraulic lift. I am very happy with the lift. It has remotes so that you can raise it or lower it while in the boat. It also goes from high-and-dry to on-the-water in about 10 seconds.

The water powered or mechanical lifts are a lot cheaper, and I seriously considered them. But now that my money is gone and I forgot I ever had it, I am extremely satisfied with the powered hydraulic lift.

The Sunstream is also aluminum (no corrosion) and has these nice rubber bunks that are very soft on your hull and won't trap dirt or wear out like carpeted wood.
Old     (tige22ityper)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-17-2006, 11:25 PM Reply   
Jay,
I really like the Sunstream and Basta lifts, but I just don't have the dough to spend that much. I have found a few other manufactures that have the same hydraulic lifts like Sunstream and Basta and am now comparing prices.

I know I can saves some money by installing it myself which doesn't look to be that difficult. Did you have someone install it? If so, what did they charge if you don't mind me asking? What was the total cost for everything? I know they were running some specials at the Tacoma Boat Show last month, but I didn't really pay attention.....

Also it may be cheaper to buy out of state and have it shipped and save a small bit on the tax end of it.

I don't know.........alot of choices. I may just end up biting the bullet and say f**k it and buy the Sunstream........its just money.......lol......I can pay it off eventually......

I share the dock with a buddy that has a basta for his boat and my boat sat in the water last year, and I would have to take it out about every two weeks to give it good cleaning and he would just sit and laugh at me.......

"You need some help? Let me go take a quick set and finish my beer.......by that time you will just be pulling the boat onto the trailer...."
Old     (muffintop)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-18-2006, 5:17 AM Reply   
Hydraulic. No pulleys or cables to deal with, and no cranking. You can get power assist for a mechanical, but it's not nearly as nice. Remote control from the boat and lifts it quick.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-18-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
Hi Tony -

Yes, I recommend getting yours installed by a dealer. The lakebottom is silty where I am and is also over my head deep (7' to 9'). Trying to put together and level the lift by myself would have been pretty much impossible. Not to mention that the water temperature is 46 degrees. I am certain I would have been in way over my head trying to install the lift properly. I know folks that have done it, but they were in shallow water and had firm ground.

Send me a PM if you want to know the guy I worked with. He can get you a good deal with installation. It isn't going to be super cheap, but much better than the prices that Sunstream charges for installation.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-18-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
I have a craddle lift , like Dan, mine was custom built, 6000lb $1700 and included installation. Dirt cheap IMO. Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-18-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
Does anybody need a cradle? I have one I don't really intend on using that I would part with. Pick up obviously! It was built to fit a mid nineties ski nautique but I would be sports and other brands would fit too.