Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (mcook77)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-21-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
I know I will probably get slammed for this, but have to ask anyways.

Last week I had several calouses (sp??) on my right hand and the skin finally separated. I cut them off and after a few days, it smoothed out but the top 2 levels of skin were still missing. Had not been hurting at all and felt great until yesterday. At the end of my 3rd set, I looked down to see 2 blood blisters on my right hand. The bigger one popped when moving a dock and I took a needle to the other one last night and drained the blood, etc....

They are still a tad purple and pretty tender. I am thinking that my only options are to take a break and let them heal or wear some of those gloves that I have always laughed at in the past. Thoughts? If gloves are the route to go so that I can keep riding, any recommendations?
Old     (loudah)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-21-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
Dude its just like startin to play a guitar gotta build up the caluses longer you ride without the "gloves" the quicker your hands will be tough enough! Also maybe you should look into a new handle I ride pro line LG its super soft and comfy check it out!!
Old     (mcook77)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-21-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
I have several handles - been riding with a 05 Murray. I will try another though...

The calouses are not the problem....I also play golf so I have always had them. Just started recently for some reason.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-21-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
"gotta build up the caluses longer you ride without the "gloves" the quicker your hands will be tough enough!"

That might work if you're a wakeboarder, but not if you are a slalom skier.

Michael, gloves may help but they are very expensive considering that as soon as your calluses are healed you won't be needing them. I wear gloves because I'm used to them from years of skiiing and I'm old enough to not be concerned if people think they are gay. If you have a pair laying around then give it a try.

A tip from my slalom days is that if you have calluses building then you need to keep them trimed with clippers. Building up calluses isn't the same when they are dry as when they are wet.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-21-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
MIke its not ghey when you do it you already wear a full time helmet so it fits your style

i cant wait for the bandana and neoprene colored shorts :-)

Mike for real though do what works for you not what other say might be right or wrong..

see ya on the water
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-21-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
I went on a windsurfing trip to Hawaii with a bud.
He told me I was gay for wearing gloves, since none of the pro's wear them. After three days he couldn't sail anymore because his hands hurt.

The last couple of days at Hookepa, not one pro called me gay.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-21-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
You can wear one glove then you won't be completely wussie and then you get to look like Micheal Jackson!!

J/k- Do what you are comfortable with!
Old    jolly_roger_wake            08-21-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
if people are going to bust you b/c they think gloves are for wimps then let'em. if wearing gloves is the difference b/t you being able to ride or not, then definetly wear them. if you wear gloves b/c its what your comfortable with, then definetly wear them. i have a pair of gloves, but i only wear them when my hands get tore up like yours or when i'm drinking really cold beer.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-21-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
There are a lot of people whose skin will simply not toughen up to prevent the blood blisters and torn skin. If you are one of them, wear the gloves. Wakeboarders typically do not put enough line tension on the handle and hands to cause the handle to move around that much. In slalom, it is very common - therefore the gloves. If you do wear gloves, use a harder rubber handle or the gloves will destroy the soft EVA foam handles.

I was at OWC for a day a while ago. A few of the riders ended up with gloves because they rode so much more on the cable and the handles there were harsher than their own handles. They wore gloves and kept riding.

I slalom and wear gloves during slalom. I don't wear gloves for board sports - not necessary. I would not hesitate to wear them if I thought I needed them, though.

Riding counts - fashion doesn't. Those that fashion is more important than riding....I won't go there.
Old     (jdaviso1)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-21-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
The problem is with your handle. I have two handles, one cheap handle that tears the s**t out of my hands, the other is as soft as a baby's bottom.

~J.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-21-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
I've got a cheap handle that I use and when I started riding I used the gloves, even with gloves after a while my hands caloused over and I took the gloves off and it hasn't been a problem since.
Old     (suprarider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-21-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (leigh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-25-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
After they heal, if they are still tender, use duct tape strips down each finger to your palm. Tape them with your fingers slightly bent. It should help your hands not be sore and it helps to build up the calluses.

Cute picture Sharon!
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-26-2006, 3:05 AM Reply   
Notice how people don't flame you on here for wearing gloves like they do on WB? Hmmmmmm Sounds like the people calling glove wearers gay are the ones more concerned with their appearence. What do you call that? Gheyyyyyy!!
Old     (suprarider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2006, 6:33 AM Reply   
You never know, gloves may come back in. I have two pair in the boathouse that I used to use for the slalom course.
I find that when passing the handle on spins, it is much easier to "feel" the handle without gloves. Sometimes I can pull out a sketchy pass with two fingers. If I went back to using gloves I would def. cut the fingers off.

Hi Leigh! I went boarding last night, first time after surgery. All is well but no jumping yet.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-26-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
Michael--I wear gloves. Never had injury issues unless without them, and don't really care what someone else thinks.......

They might get you some comments, but if you were wearing em', you'd be ridin', not typin'.....I really apreciate them in winter, too.
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-26-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
just wear them, and forget what anyone else thinks... what can they do about it anyway?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-26-2006, 12:46 PM Reply   
Gloves are cool..... Parks likes them...

Upload