Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (prophecy)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-16-2010, 9:36 PM Reply   
Howdy all, we're sporting an '08 XStar and finding the wake too wide at 65' to 70' feet. We've tried speeding up a bit and that helps, but I'm wondering if someone might know some other tricks we can try while keeping the speed a bit lower.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-16-2010, 9:38 PM Reply   
Why don't you just shorten the rope?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-16-2010, 10:25 PM Reply   
More weight in the nose?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-16-2010, 10:53 PM Reply   
That wake is money at 70' (its redundant to put both " ' " and feet on a length). How fast are you going? I don't think putting more weight in the nose is going to cause a significant difference.
Old     (prophecy)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-16-2010, 11:35 PM Reply   
@duffy, that would make too much sense. Nah, just feels like it's getting too short.

@jeremy, you're right, redundant. ~21 MPH, putting it closer to 24 makes the wake much more manageable, but a bit too fast for my liking.
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-17-2010, 12:20 AM Reply   
you should definantly try speeding up a little bit, start out small and work your way up to a faster speed. it will allow you to get use to the speed before you know it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-17-2010, 7:14 AM Reply   
Speeding up is your only option. I personally grew to appreciate the wider wake.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-17-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
Travis, try just bumping up .5 MPH at a time. 22 or 22.5 should make the wake a bit more manageable. Also, how are you weighting the boat?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-17-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
I just don't tell the rider how fast we are driving That way they don't freak out.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
Ah the X-star..... It can be the very best wake, or the very worst. It also reacts differently to moving weight. On most boats moving weight forward will make the wake narrower. That is not the case on the star. If anything, add more weight to the rear, but in reality what it probably needs is a lot more weight all around. I don't like X-stars at all when they're light on weight. If they're not dumped to the max they lose the pop off the top of the wake. Without that extra snap the wake is just wide. With the snap the wake is wide, but you can't tell because you get such great hang time and loft.

Like these guys have said.... bump the speed a bit. You'll get used to it. 70' should be fine.

Just for reference, what is your skill level like? Wake jumps both ways (heel and toe)? Inverts? I just ask because I'd correct for the width differently depending on rider skill.
Old     (prophecy)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-17-2010, 12:11 PM Reply   
Alright, next time out I'm going to try to adjust the speed and get a full boat to add weight. We fill up the stock ballasts, but don't have any fat sacks (yet).

Skill level is on the beginner side of intermediate. I feel pretty comfortable for the most part, can jump the wake heel side (not on this new boat yet though), can 180 and ride switch, etc.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-17-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
Dude, you need a lot more than people weight if you're going to sink an xstar right.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-17-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
Stock weight is definitely not enough. You need to drop another 1500# minimum or roll with 10 people in the boat. You should look into getting the pro tour ballast setup. I think that drops in about 2000# extra and you can have it all plumbed in.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2010, 12:43 PM Reply   
I hate to say it, and don't let me discourage you, but IMO the X-star isn't the best beginner boat. In order to get a fun wake you have to add a lot of weight. Don't be afraid to slow it down and ride at 65'. Generally I wouldn't go that short, but you'll be able to kick up a bigger wake at a slower speed that way. Learning on a big wake and longer line with a wide wake will only make for hard crashes. Maybe pick up a couple sacs. Move them around till you get a setup you like. In the meantime, take a lot of friends out with you. They double as good moveable weight.

Have fun. The beauty of that boat is how bada$$ the wake is one you start progressing. So much fun to charge into a giant X-star wake at full tilt.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-17-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
My .02 is if you add weight and drive faster you are going to end up with exactly what you have now. Try driving faster first without more ballast, you need more of the boat out of the water to make the wake less wide. Honestly tho it's a wide beamed boat you are not going to see a huge difference no matter what you do. Even with just factory ballast at 21 mph it's still a big rampy wake and takes getting used to, the pop is at the very top of the wake. Before I went messing with the ballast and speed(the speed you are comfortable with) I'd try taking your normal cut and adding just a little bit of wait time to when you stand tall. Mistake I see most people make behind my boat is they stand tall way to early, wait wait wait.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-17-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
My .02 is that the X-Star is not a great beginner to intermediate boat. This boat is made to be slammed and slammed again. The factory wake is awful. However loaded up it is perfect. Don't want to come across as a d#$% but it was built for pro caliber wakes at pro caliber speeds. Anything less theboat is avg at best. An X 15 would have been a much more user freindly begin/intermediate boat around the dame size.

You need to ride it at least at 22+ mph to reap its benefits.

Also agree with Jason on the tranny. The biggest issue with transfering to the X-star wake is that you really need to wait. It takes a while to get to the peak and get the kick compared to other older wakes

Last edited by xstarrider; 08-17-2010 at 1:37 PM.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-17-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
I usually over shoot the speed to about 29 MPH, then no one complains about going 24MPH. They think it is about right after that.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-17-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
You have to put some weight in the rear lockers, IMO. You'll also want some weight underneath the flip-up bow seats.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-17-2010, 3:13 PM Reply   
@talltigeguy I do that too,works most of the time.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-17-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
here you go EV. this is why you buy an xstar, BC3 straight dumped. i love this pic. 80' 24-24.6 or somewhere close to that i think, yah evan?
wake is MACKIN!!!!!!! damm i loved that boat
Attached Images

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-17-2010, 7:23 PM Reply   
Man that is nasty. That is a gihugous wake.