Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeboardcal)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-06-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
Can anybody help me out with this. I have seen pictures of myself usually whenever i am spinning, or sometimes jumping, me knees bend in toward each other. I love watching videos of Keith Lyman or Shawn Watson when they spin their knees are far apart and stylish, but mine cave in toward each other. I have my stance set all the way out but is this a problem with weaker legs? or just bad form that I need to work on? somebody help me!
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-06-2010, 4:53 PM Reply   
Maybe you have your stance too far apart, giving your knees only one option to bend...inward. Do you have any pics?
Old    HunterHudd            04-06-2010, 4:58 PM Reply   
Ya, try shortening your stance, and also I have noticed before, Aaron Rathy's knees somtimes bend in toward each other when spins sometimes, especially on some of his 1080 variations, which I think looks stylish!
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-06-2010, 6:51 PM Reply   
How wide is your stance (in inches) and how tall are you?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-06-2010, 11:49 PM Reply   
Hate to tell you this but thats just the natural way your body moves. Its not something your going to be able to change and make your riding better. I would suggest you just embrace your own personal style and form and learn to make it look good. Try throwing in grabs and pokes

I ride with my stance all the way out and ducked as much as possible because its comfortable for me. Some tricks my knees are spread way out and some tricks my knees are bent in. Just ride for yourself.
Old     (wakeboardcal)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-08-2010, 10:48 PM Reply   
hope this works, here's a link to one of the pictures. I'm not sure how far my stance is on my wakeboard, I don't have it with my right now but i'm 5'11''. yeah I need to start grabbing my spins. it's hard cause I ride with my cousin and his tricks are really stylish and I feel like mine aren't too smooth, but i'm trying to work on it.

/Users/cal/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 2, 2009/IMG_3563.JPG
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-09-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
Ok I've worked with countless athletes and one thing we tell our athletes is NEVER let the knees come together when landing or stopping. This is called a valgus position, and it can lead to serious knee problems. We worked with mostly female soccer players and ACL injuries are a huge problem in that sport. One reason for this is they are not strong enough in the glutes(your butt) to keep this from happening. Its natural because most people are strong in the quads and the aDductors and weak in the aBductors and flexors of the leg. I'm not going to go into a huge article on this but my suggestion is strengthen up those legs, especially the glutes and hamstrings, practice squatting and landing with your knees pointing in the same direction that your toes face. This tracking of the knees will keep them in a "safe zone" instead of a potentially dangerous one like knees coming in. Ya it also doesn't look as good. I'm not saying that this will definitely lead to any injury but if you are wanting to fix it these are some things you can do.