Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                06-07-2003, 3:43 PM Reply   
please help, i want to throw one but no one out there seems to know how to do it. i would try a regular backroll but dont really feel comfortable with the rotation. please help, like what the cut is or when to let go with your back hand or to even let go with your back hand. if you have a website or pictures or descriptions i would greatly appreciate it.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-07-2003, 3:51 PM Reply   
Rotation is the same as a regular backroll. Only difference is which way your head leads when you take off.

Look up over your leading shoulder, and it's a regular backroll.

Look down between your leading knee, and the handle, and it's a mexican backroll.

Except for that, you edge in progressively, and set the roll the same (drive your board away from the boat at the wake). Strongly pull the handle to your leading hip, and wait for the pop.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on June 07, 2003)
Old                06-07-2003, 5:26 PM Reply   
thanx, so you said to edge in progressively on a mexican backroll? do i let go with my backhand? should i try to take it big at first or learn it small and build up? and again thanks for your time
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-07-2003, 6:07 PM Reply   
I would start a little over half way out,15-20 feet. Go flat on the out side, and let the board/rope catch up, then start to drift in. As you get closer to the wake, increase your edge, load the line (keep the handle low, right at your lead hip, if you have a hard time keeping the handle in, think about moving your hips out to the handle). Bend your knees, keep your chest/hips up, shoulders back, and as you start up the wake, drive the board away from the boat. Wait to pop off the top of the wake before throwing your head (if you come up short/case the wake, it's probably because you are taking off from the bottom of the wake). I know the mechanics seem strange, but if you do it correctly, you will feel the pull from your stomach, and the board will kind of slingshot around. Try a few, and you'll get comfortable (the crashes really are not bad at all), then it's just a matter of time.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-07-2003, 6:09 PM Reply   
I would try hanging on with the both hands, but if you have to let the back hand go, wait as long as possible, as you finish your rotation. If you let the rope up from your hips, your rotation will slow/stop.
Old                06-08-2003, 7:22 AM Reply   
thanks alot, i will try it today
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-08-2003, 12:15 PM Reply   
Good luck, David, let us know how you did!
Old                06-11-2003, 6:06 PM Reply   
hey sorry couldnt go out had other stuff to do, but if nothing else unexpected happens then tomarow i am supposed to go ride, well thanks for all your tips and i cant wait to tell you how i did