Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-11-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
Wondering if anyone can point me in a direction to purchase some vinyl, cushions, thread, wood or plastic for bases, etc. for redoing upholstery in the boat. Has anyone bought from ebay? Or other stores or websites? Is there a certain grade or oz use? Also any websites on how to do it? I have the equipment and a clue, but looking for hints. thanks for any info
I did some searching but came up pretty empty.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-12-2008, 5:17 AM Reply   
Suck it up and have a professional do it. You will thank yourself in the end.
Old     (himain10ance)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-12-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
I would not do my own upholstery but if you are making some extra ones that cool. I would not buy anything that you cannot touch or get a sample of to match it to what you have. I would go to your local upholstery shop and buy your stuff there. or at least find out the maker and model number for it then get it online if you can
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-12-2008, 7:55 AM Reply   
It is not only me...my dad has been a tailor all his life...making the nice suits...so he really knows how to do stuff...but just wanted opinions on buying stuff and ideas.

I have an 1986 inboard...so not looking to spend a ton...because probably won't get it back on resale anyways...
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-12-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
Check out www.trimstore.com
Old    wiz            03-12-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
ha! now that's one helluva name for a store!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-12-2008, 5:34 PM Reply   
I bought my stuff for my last boat off of ebay and I was pleased at how well mine turned out. It held up well the two seasons I had it before I sold it. My mom sews and has some nice sewing machines, so she did that part. I built the bases out of treated wood and then covered it with heavy carpet. I probably had around 200 in the entire redo. I did have alot of hours in work, but I enjoyed it.
Old    nwwakerider            03-12-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
I replaced some vinyl in my boat recently and got it from denverfabrics.com. If I remember correctly they will send you a small sample to match your color for 1 cent.
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-12-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
Excellent thanks...

Stephen...if you remember...did you have to use any special lights or heat for making the seats fit nice and snug? Do you remember? I was thinking just copying the existing ones I have and getting some nice cushions for under it and making it snug...but wasn't sure if it would change when the sun starts beating on it...
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-12-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
I just pulled everything tight and stapled it really well. It is hard to make the seats look uniform when pulling the vinyl, so I put in a few staples along the corners and then adjusted and re-stapled if needed. Then I went back and filled in the rest of the staples.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-13-2008, 7:29 AM Reply   
Just to chime in on how to reupholster on some tips.....

Start at the side that will face out into the cockppit or get the most views so if there is a miss staple or a proble or something you can hid that for the most part on the back side rather than the side that shows.

A friend of mine did his whole boat and it has held up for 5yrs.......HE heated the vinly with a hairdryer for a bit to get it nice an d warm for the stretch onto the seat. Seem to work for him.......again still holding strong, but he did use the OEM vinyl.
Old    alanp            03-13-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
anyone have any idea how to get oem vinyl from correct craft? there is only contact for dealers on the website.
Old     (bp420)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-13-2008, 12:05 PM Reply   
I'm looking to do mine too, I found this a few days ago. It's a slide show that shows you how to get the nice corners and no wrinkles.
http://www.winterssewing.com/drupal/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=slideshow.Slideshow&g2_itemId=111 4
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-13-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
Brandon...that is exactly what I was looking for...that helps me understand with the hairdryer/heatgun...

thanks
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-13-2008, 4:04 PM Reply   
Alan, at correctcraftfan.com or planetnautique.com (I can't remember which) there is an advertisement over to the side of somebody who makes correct craft skins.
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-13-2008, 9:35 PM Reply   
nautiqueskins.com

I don't think it's up on CCFan anymore..
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-13-2008, 9:48 PM Reply   
Nice find Brandon!