Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (texasissippi)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-08-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
its always amusing to listen to and/or experience other peoples pet peeves when it comes to their boat. (for the record, i dont blame any boat owner for trying to take care of their stuff) id love to hear some of your "boat rules" or fav pet peeves!!!

maybe my number one - when you invite someone out, and then they show up with two buddies... if it were girls, that would be a different story.

- or how about "oh i dont have any cash, ill get you next time"
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-08-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
Cheetos
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-08-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
How about when they step in your boat and mutter "this is a piece". I just point back to the dock, and wave, and make sure they never get invited back out again.
Old     (texasissippi)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-08-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
ha, yea there i dont care of you are on a 18 ft outboard... if you get a ride with someone else, be thankful you 1) arent putting hours on your boat 2) your poor ass doesnt have a boat in the first place 3) need to learn that wakeboarding is as much about spending time with friends out on the water as opposed to JUST the knee high wake.

props to brandon, i hate that crap!
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-08-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
When someone follows your boarder... It PO's me just thinking about it.
Old     (texasissippi)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-08-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
solution, get a 3 man sling shot... tie one end to either side of the tower... now your boat is equipped with a cannon!!!! lets see how long they stay after you hum a water balloon at 50mph by their head.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-08-2008, 3:46 PM Reply   
Justin, bless you and your Texas brand of vigilante justice.

It pisses me off when people don't take care of their boats and just put em away wet and looking beat. Obviously it's theirs to do whatever they want but damn that really grinds my gears.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-08-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
Grinds my Gears..Haha, I totally hear you on that one. I work at a dealer and when I see an 07 Nauti come in and it is more trashed than my 97 with 1000 hrs on it that pisses me off. So do people who get on my ride with thier freaking shoes on. Then they proceed to stomp all over the carpet( this is of coarse before we fill the sacks cause we all know that when you own a DD there is no such thing as being able to see the floor while boarding.)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-08-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
I hate clutter. Put away your stuff after you ride. I don't like stepping over ropes, vests, and clothing. Especially i a 21 foot.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-08-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
When people don't take their shoes off before getting in and not offering gas money! They don't get invited a 2nd time.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       02-08-2008, 4:04 PM Reply   
^^^^^My biggest petpeeves!!^^^^^^

And when people don't bring there own gear and complain cause mu stuff doesn't fit or its too old.
Oh and beer moochers!

(Message edited by newty on February 08, 2008)

(Message edited by newty on February 08, 2008)
Old     (texasissippi)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-08-2008, 4:06 PM Reply   
WORD!!!!

how about not bringing anything to drink... every single time?!?! ha, well im glad im not the only one that that have the occasional hoser to deal with.
Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-08-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
Mine usually starts at the ramp. How about the people that think they are next in line when they are not. The one that can't get off the ramp in a timely manner. Last is my favorite: The people that see you coming, decide to turn around and get in front of you. I guess they know that I like riding in their wakes.
Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-08-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
I hate when I boarding and I fall and whom ever is driving the boat takes FOREVER to circle around and get me! I just sit there in the water wishing I could drive my boat and ride behind it at the same time!!!
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-08-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^^^^^^^WORD^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-08-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
How about when they get mad at you cause ur boat broke down and u make them swim the boat in. Or is that just me?
Old    kidrik            02-08-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
^^^So they're not power turning......that's good.
Old    kidrik            02-08-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
You guys are too quick......last post for Moe.
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-08-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
shoes in the boat
power turns
running over the rope
sandy feet
reading "17 Magazine" instead of spotting, and or sleeping while spotting

the only reason "those" people are in the boat is because there easyer to move around than fat sacs.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-08-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
shoes, cheetos/doritos, and punch gatorade. Your not getting on my boat with them.

I'm also just like j-Rod. Put your wet crap away in the back when done.

So I have OCD, live with it.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-08-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
I feel ya Brandon, been there done that. But we had fun when we did it the first time. Mainly cause it was two of my best friends at the time. The second time it happened, we were rescued, but they got pissed as hell at me. And the third time that it happened, well, everyone but me was entirely too drunk to care. THANKS BROSTOCK! Damn cops came and were searching boats, and this guy had brought a bong onto mine, so I spent the entire party freakin out... Go figure.

My biggest pet peeve in the history of man kind is bringing drugs onto either my boat, or the boat I'm on. It's not cool to get stoned while you're out riding, and it's not cool to get stoned in general, IMO. Plus we have situations like what happened at BroStock, and they expect me to cover their asses...

I don't have a problem with anything as long as they don't leave trash all over my boat. The deckboat was a POS with torn vinyl seats and stuff, plus it broke down three times...
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-08-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
Girls that don't want to pee off the swim deck and want you to leave the good riding spot to go find them a bathroom.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-08-2008, 5:54 PM Reply   
Jet-skiers that follow too close to you or your boarders.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-08-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
$70000+ wakeboard boats at Ski Beach... with no wakeboard racks or wakeboards.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-08-2008, 6:25 PM Reply   
why is that a pet peeve?
Old     (kawaik)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-08-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
jet skiers in general. sorry to those of you who are still in favor of jet skis when you are doing the riding. too many bad experiences has led me to hope for their demise. well thinking about it now i guess they do help for sliders. i think i just agreed to disagree with myself. anyway the real loser here is safety.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-08-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   
I Minnesota, ton of fisherman, and none of them expect to get wet when putting in or taking out their boats. None of them back in far enough with the trailer, lots don't know how to back up a trailer, take up the two spots at the landing, and don't get the hell out of the way when getting their bout out of the water. I usually dump and load my boat myself, and I am in and out in under a minute and a half. Then those same fisherman will sit on the only good line on the lake and get pissed when I come within 100 feet of them. The nerve!!!!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-08-2008, 6:40 PM Reply   
are you not supposed to come within 100 feet of them?
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-08-2008, 6:48 PM Reply   
It's a fifty foot limit in Va. I wouldn't think that it's going to be that much more on other lakes.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-08-2008, 6:48 PM Reply   
Those guys can't cast 50 feet so I think thats OK.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-08-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
JETSKIERS who think that they own the lake.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-08-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
In minnesota it's 150 feet
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-08-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
i bet jetskiers say "wakeboarders who think they own the lake."
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-08-2008, 7:06 PM Reply   
ur prolly right. That just goes to prove that they don't know what they're talking about.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-08-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
how exactly does that prove that they don't know what they're talking about?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-08-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
people who light up a smoke in the boat when we are riding. I don't mind people having a smoke in my boat when we are chilling, but when the boat is moving... that is a recipe for burn holes.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-08-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
Joe,

Because we don't think we own the lake (at least I don't...). We just ask for some respect and for them to not ride behind us. Typically the action spots for jetskiiers are in the busy parts of the lake, not the back coves and ends of the lakes where the glass is. They don't need to harass the boats pulling people when there are typically plenty of cabin cruisers out there that throw the same wake in the busy parts of the lake.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-08-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   
I don't like shoes in the boat. The funny part is the only people who have worn shoes in my boat are my parents and inlaws. Of course when a parent or inlaw comes aboard it kind of feels like it is their boat.
Old     (davidhep23)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-08-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   
Forgetting to set perfect pass before you start your pull.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-08-2008, 8:47 PM Reply   
How about trying to set the perfect pass, and everytime u try to change speeds ur radio changes stations. Then you remember when you bought the boat you decided to save your money and not get all the options. I'd rather have a cheaper boat loaded with all the options, than a expensive boat with nothing on it.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-08-2008, 8:47 PM Reply   
^^^^^^All My Opinion^^^^^^^^^
Old     (shellyrn)      Join Date: May 2006       02-08-2008, 9:48 PM Reply   
Hey Randy, they probably would pee off the platform if you weren't trying to peek!!!
Old     (wannabewakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-08-2008, 10:00 PM Reply   
Tubers on the glass at 8am

And people who can afford these new wakeboard boats and then don't care for them properly, I hate seeing people trash things like that.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-08-2008, 10:28 PM Reply   
Damn Michele, you busted me
Old     (gangster_wake)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-08-2008, 10:48 PM Reply   
How about the friend of a friend (with no gas money)whos really not soppused to be there,. Tries to fire up a cigarette about 2 inches away from the gas cap...wow
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-08-2008, 10:57 PM Reply   
mine is when i spend 6 hours the day before cleaning my boat spottles and they get in and step on the seats with shoes. or when they tell me the day before, hey lets go hit up the lake i'll throw down for gas and then it just so happenes that at the gas station they don't have any cash on them. i just stoped takin my friends to the lake. i only take and boat with a couple guys now that are alloud to take their paretns boat too so they know how it is.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-09-2008, 6:19 AM Reply   
How could I forget the powerturners?? Especially those in high end wakeboard boats...of all people, they should know better! AND, those people that have someone hold the "leash" during loading/unloading while they take 10 minutes to park/retrieve the tow vehicle. All the while the boat is blocking two launch ramps. Teach the "leash" holder to drive the boat, tow vehicle, or both!
Old     (hype29)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-09-2008, 7:00 AM Reply   
people that I invite to the lake and show up with a kneeboard and insist on finding them some glass to ride it on. For some reason I just hate kneeboarding.
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-09-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
1. When everyone sits on one side of the boat and totally washes out one side of your wake.

2. When the boat driver stays in a constant turn!

(Message edited by hayes on February 09, 2008)
Old     (liquidforce512)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-09-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
Ok here are a few of mine... I hate the moochers who actually try be your friend just so you can take them out. Had a neighbor come down and actually said that they based their decision on renting the house because there was a boat next door to them. They have never been invited.
Planning a camping wakeboarding trip and having a bunch of people wanting to go then flake out right when reservations need to be made or after they are made sometimes.
It always feels the boat owner gets screwed on everything. You never seem to get the money to cover all the gas and you are the one who had to buy a truck to pull the boat, pay insurance on both items, in california pay a luxury tax on the boat, storage in the winter and not to mention you pretty much need to buy an extra set up for people who dont have their own gear just so your gear doesnt get ruined.
Sunscreen is not cheap. I love it when people jump in the boat and just start using all the sunscreen.
When it is someones turn, the water is glass, 2 more people still are waiting for a pull and they decide to take 15 minutes to stretch and get their gear on.
Old     (slowjet)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-09-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
I'd have to say when you find a smooth cove to ride, and halfway through your set some red neck family comes pulling their corn fed kids in circles on the tube.
Old     (liquidforce512)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-09-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
just watch this video at the 5 minute mark. The first 5 minutes is just them riding. But these type of boaters that act like this annoy me.
Old     (liquidforce512)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-09-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3bCqNlgMilM
Old    stillstandin            02-09-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
Power turners....
Shoes in the boat.
People who get overly competitive with wakeboarding. (putting people down to make themselves feel better, instead of giving positive feed back, and just having a good time.)

Wakeboarders, Jet Skiers, Tubers, Fishermen or anybody who thinks they own the lake....
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-09-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
not being able to get people to go boarding on a weeknight.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-09-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
I'm with Brandon.
Old     (okcrashhighlight)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-09-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
I hate handle droppers. Those who are tired and just drop the rope so they can get a break while you turn the boat around to pick them up. Then they want to go again. If your tired give someone else a try. Or those guys who every time someone gets in the boat they want a turn even if the went the time before. Share the fun. I hate handle hogs.

(Message edited by okcrashhighlight on February 09, 2008)
Old    murrayair            02-09-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
I'm with Walt on the whole bad driving thing. I mean, I'm grateful for the pull and I'm not about to criticize someone in their own boat, but it's a little frustrating when you're really looking forward to getting some great runs in and the whole time they are pulling you either way too fast or way too slow and are going in a constant circle.

One of my other big pet peeves is when people don't treat your gear with respect. I recently had some friends out on my boat and they brought an unexpected friend of theirs. The only bindings that fit him right were the ones on my brand spanking new Murray board, so I let him use it after telling him to be very, very careful. So what is the first thing he does when putting it on? Slams the tail into the hull. So I politely told him a second time to be careful. Ten seconds later, he does it again. And a third time. Of course, he was totally oblivious to what he was doing. Then at the end of the day he came up to me and said "Let me know anytime you need an extra rider. I'm there, man." No thanks, buddy.
Old     (okcrashhighlight)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-09-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
Amen to that Mark. I hate letting people use my stuff that don't know what they are doing. There are a few guys who I don't mind, but for the most part, it is off limits. I also echo the pet peeve of people who follow in their boats right behind a rider. As a rider it really ticks me off. If i fell, it would be over. You can see just fine, if not better from beside me.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-09-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
Mark, I hear ya. My brother in law shoved my brand new Yellow Loogy under teh boat and smashed it into the swim platform brackets putting a huge gash in it. He had no idea.
Old     (texasissippi)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-09-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
i love listening to all of these!!!

im about to buy a boat, and i think i am going to make "THE BOAT COMMANDMENTS" list and frame it and post it in the walkway under the windshield...

how about people that always ask you to turn off the stereo so they can argue with their jealous gf/bf/wife on the phone!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old     (okcrashhighlight)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-09-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
1) Thou shalt not damage someone else's equipment.
2) NO SHOES ON BOAT!
3) Thou rides, thou chips in for gas.
4) Thou shalt not follow directly behind boat pulling a rider.
5) Thou shalt not perform or encourage POWER TURNS!
6) Thou will run over tubers on butter.
7) Girls shall only piss off platform, unless being oogled by boat riders.
8) No Handle Droppers.
9) No messy riders, thou should pick thy own crap up.
10) Under no circumstance shall anyone party like the people at the 5 minute mark on Kevin's video.

I could probably get by with the 20 commandments.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-09-2008, 4:48 PM Reply   
11) Thou shall help wipe boat down after day!!!! I hate inviting a group of people, get $15 gas, drank all my beer, ate my cheetoes then after I finally get the boat loaded I hear "Later man, thanks!" I have 3 shammies for a reason!
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-09-2008, 4:58 PM Reply   
Just Curious: Whats the logic with the no shoes in the boat rule?
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-09-2008, 5:04 PM Reply   
Any mess you have on your shoe, plus it tears the vinyl!
Old     (harris)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-09-2008, 5:30 PM Reply   
TUBERS.
Old     (mads0113)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-10-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
My BIGGEST pet peeve is when after a day of boating, once the boat is on the lift or backed into the driveway, the people you brought out to the lake take off, never offering to help unload all the gear and trash collected during the day.

Basically the "its not my boat, not my problem" attitude.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-10-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
sorry off topic. Is it best to give gas money when you get on, or when you are getting ready to leave.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-10-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
I'd think when you get ready to leave. That way you know how much time you got on the water and can pay accordingly.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-10-2008, 11:17 AM Reply   
1. "Sorry, I forgot to stop at the gas station." Only one of the many pathetic excuses people make. This is followed by, "Dude, how come you never call me to ride anymore?" Duh!!!

2. When people light up a cigarette in the boat-without even asking????????????

3. Spilled beer. Sorry doesn't cut it!

4. Dropping the handle.

5. Riding like a p.... Ride aggressively or go for a walk or bike ride if you think this is a leisurely sport for enjoying the scenery. I know to some extent we should all enjoy the sport, but do it on another boat. I want to push and be pushed.

6. Negativity and complaining-on the boat. Here, it's ok of course.
Old     (airagain)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-10-2008, 10:15 PM Reply   
The gas money 'shorting' really pisses me off. I have had people come up to the lake for three days, ride a couple times a day, and hand me a twenty at the end of the weekend. Now I usually make sure not to top the boat off while I am by myself. In fact I keep the fuel as low as possible. I then wait for the twenty dollar moochers show up itching for a pull. I pull straight over to the gas dock. I make sure that they can experience the thrill of a $120.00 fill up so they fully appreciate exactly what it cost to keep that boat going.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-10-2008, 10:36 PM Reply   
Shoes on the seats

trash being left all over the place, especially wrappers and beer cans

unthankful beer drinkers, the boat doesn't run on thanks, and neither does my cooler, this isn't an open bar, bring your own or pay up.

t00bers

to many guys, not enough girls. I'm out to ride, but the scenery sure is nice!!

people that come out, expect to ride as soon as they get there, and then leave right after they're done.

waiting on someone at the dock

people not showing up when they say they will be there.
Old     (maggiewss)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-11-2008, 6:23 AM Reply   
People who get overly competitive with wakeboarding. (putting people down to make themselves feel better, instead of giving positive feed back, and just having a good time.)

I agree with craig on this one... id rather not ride than ride with people like this...
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-11-2008, 6:38 AM Reply   
People who powerload their boats onto their trailers. Around here the concrete ramps don't go very far into the water and as a result we end up with a deep hole with a pile of rock/gravel right behind it(just perfect for hitting the prop).
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-11-2008, 7:02 AM Reply   
I just watched Kevin's video... People who do that kind of crap drive me nuts! I mean, we've been known to stop and just chill, like doing flips off of the boat and stuff just to relax after riding some, but to sit there in the boat, acting like retards while drinking and smoking is just stupid. Especially if you're acting badass as you smoke and drink with the super pasty white skin and the beer gut. I understand that not everyone can have a great body, I definitely don't, but at least take some pride in it. They're just behaving like complete slobs.. I know that they're just trying to have fun, but they're just acting like tools. I have not met one person who is serious enough about wakeboarding to buy a boat for it who behaves like that. They just got that boat so that they could look cool out on the water and party like idiots. Having fun with friends on a boat is one thing, but behaving like that is just stupid. Or maybe I'm just harsh and overjudgemental...
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-11-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
I get POed at the guy that has to fly around you when you have a rider, then stops 100 yrds ahead of you to throw out a tube, then takes off again just as you are coming up on his boat. I often wonder if he can really be this disrespectful or is he just stupid. I don't care if I'm in a hurry to get somewhere, I never pass up a boat with a rider to mess up their water.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-11-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
How about from somebody that is a 3rd... Done boating, boat is on the trailer, I jump out wipe the whole boat down and start grabbing my wet stuff out of the boat. Owner comes over and says thanks for wipe'n the boat and starting to cleaning the inside. Well F you and the other two people that we were with that decided to grab the beer and start talking with some friends that showed up. I gave him my $20 spot, packed up and left!

Thank god it was awhile ago and I have found better people to ride with that like to take care of their stuff...
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-11-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
People who take off their shoes at the dock, but then toss em in the boat when they get in. Leaving a nice dirt print on the carpet!

power turners
people who pull out right infront of you to pull up their rider while youre pulling yours.!!!!Fn idiots!!
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-11-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
I'm amazed you guys let people that you are complaining about anywhere near your boats!

My pet peeve is the jet skis and the idiots that ride them. Even when cruising to a spot, the insist on jumping your wake. I'm the first yank the throttle and mess up their jump, call em over to the boat with a friendly smile and wave and then rip into them about coming anywhere near us.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-11-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
When you have a rider you are kind of limited on what you can do without putting your rider at risk. I do have 4 wetsound pro80's on my tower with a PA system. When someone is coming to close to my rider I let them know my feelings about that (because it is usually my daughters). No foul language, but to the point. It usually works just fine. i also use the PA system to thank them when they do get to a safe distance.