Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-04-2004, 7:56 PM Reply   
I need some help guys as I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to car audio. I currently have a head unit with 2 pre amp outputs (1 front and 1 rear). I have 4 new tower speakers (MB Quartz Discus series). I also have a clarion APX 400.4m for the tower speakers and a basslink sub. I currently have the basslink connected to the front rca output from the head unit and the clarion amp connected to the rear rca output. Now to my question, how do I wire the 4 tower speakers to the amp? I have each speaker on a separate channel and I currently only get sound out of the 2 speakers that are connected to rear channel (I guess since I have my rca cables from the head unit connected to the rear input on the amp). Do I just wire the 4 tower speakers to the 2 rear channel outputs on the amp in parallel? (ie. 2 speakers wired to the right rear and 2 to the left rear?) I am assuming if I do this, I will be running the tower speakers at 2 ohms. Is this correct and if so will the amp handle this? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I really do not have a clue.
Old                08-08-2004, 9:06 AM Reply   
Chris, it sounds to me like you need to run a set of rca y cables off of the basslink sub to the front input on your 400.4 this way all four channels have something to amplify. Only using one set of inputs on a four input amplifier is wasting half of its output. The amplifier sees no input on two channels and therfore has nothing to amplify. You can y the basslink or you can y off of the rear rca's at the amp so you can keep your tower on the rear fade. You will need a set of rca's with 2 males and one female on each one. You should be able to get these at RShack or Wmart or any bigger electronics store. Hope this helps!
BurnZee
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-09-2004, 3:32 PM Reply   
Chris,

First off here is a link to the manual for your amp, open it up and print it out since it has most of the answers you are looking for: http://www.teamclarion.com/sharedwebdbs/clarionsupport.nsf/b519d112bdcca8b588256a630071fab1/e469e62058003a2f88256e43006d52b3/$FILE/APX400.4M%20(OWNERS%20AND%20INSTALL).pdf

The easiest way is to wire 1 speaker to each channel of the amp as shown on page 4, I think this is how you have them now. SWITCH THE REAR CHANNEL INPUT SELECTOR TO 2 CHANNEL INPUT. Set both front and rear channel crossovers to high pass and adjust the frequency to about 100hz so the amp can push the most out of your speakers without distorting from bass overload. This should let your basslink do it's job. Fine tune the gains and crossovers on your amp and basslink until it sounds good. Do it in the water not in a garage since it will sound completely different out in the open space.

Your RCAs should work fine the way they are.

Enjoy
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-09-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
Chris,

I went through it again, looks like you might need to move your RCAs to the front inputs on your amp. Make sure the bass boost setting is flat (0db).

How do you like that amp?