Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jwmustangin)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-20-2010, 7:08 PM Reply   
Little bit of work but I got it done.

I used a coleman stove that runs off of the coleman fuel and an Oneida baking pan from walmart. Pan dimensions on the sticker were 10 in. x 5 in. Of course the pan wasn't square.

I got the lead in half pound blocks. I used my digital bathroom scale to weigh the stuff out. Originally, I planned on making a 25 lb brick. When I got to 25 lbs. I decided to go to 50. I was one block shy of making what I thought was 50 lbs and this was because the lead was about to spill out of the pan! Hell, after it cooled off it weighed in at 49.8 lbs. Im happy!

Here is a helpful formula for you do it yourselfers...."good", "fairly pure" lead is about .41 lbs. per cubic inch. For example, a 10 in. x 10 in. x 1 in. plate = 100 cubic inches. .41 * 100 cu. inches = 41 lbs. So a 10x10x1 plate should come out close to about 41 lbs.

I used a big pair of channel locks to drop in the 1/2 lb. blocks of lead into the pan so that it wouldn't splash. I could do about three to four at a time once i got the bottom of the pan coated with molten lead.

As a finishing touch, I wrapped it in a lil bit of left over marine grade black carpet that I had laying around so that it would look pretty.

And yes, I did this outside and used a pair of heavy duty welding gloves!
Attached Images

Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-20-2010, 9:09 PM Reply   
Nice job
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-21-2010, 5:09 AM Reply   
I assume you let the lead cool in the pan. Any trouble getting out? Or did it stick at all? Looks great. I was looking at doing something like this for my bow.
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-21-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
nice, coleman stoves work great for melting lead. We used one for years for bullets and fishing weights. They get really hot.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       05-21-2010, 7:44 AM Reply   
nice job, but you really should cover your lead in something better then carpet. Like paint it or line-x or tape it up with duct tape, then carpet it. Lead is a hazardous material so just take percautions. Other than that, it looks sweet.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
I'm not sure what you paid for the lead but. One of my customers is a steel wholesaler and he cut me 8"x10"x 2" blocks and they weigh about 50lbs each. I had a friend weld some 3/4" round bar on the ends for handles and then had them Rhino Lined. They work great. Just another option for people instead of having to source lead all the time. I paid $ 70.00 for the steel. Rhino was free.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-21-2010, 9:33 AM Reply   
Nice job man, looking at that the one thing that came to my mind is that it's goingg to be a pain to carry. I would have put some sort of handle or something to grab onto it with.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-21-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
Nice. Should work great.

When I've made bricks in the past, we wrapped them in plastic, taped them up good, then wrapped them in carpet. They lasted for years without any problems.

This time around, I picked up some Pop Products bags & filled them with 40 lbs of scrap lead from a local tire shop. 8 bags cost me a total of about $150 for everything. Fits perfect in the bow under the center cushion.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-21-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
Where did you get the lead?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-21-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
Isn't that bad for you to breath in lead....did you happen to wear a respirator or will that even help
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-21-2010, 3:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy_smith View Post
Isn't that bad for you to breath in lead....did you happen to wear a respirator or will that even help
Yes it is. So do it on a breezy day. Or wear a respirator.

Thats why I chose to do it with the Pop bags this time. I didn't melt it at all. Just fill the plastic bags up, tape them shut. Then the rubberized Pop bags have a velcro enclosure. Done.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-23-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
Hes not getting the lead near hot enought to worry about breathing it in. The impurities will smoke and stink though, I always do this outside and wear a respirator just as a pre-caution.