Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (tige22ityper)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-22-2009, 11:03 PM Reply   
Thinking about getting a motorhome toy hauler. Many of the motorhomes have a 5000# tow rating. Does anyone have a motorhome and tow a wakeboard boat with it? If so, how does it pull? Any issues with steep climbs? My boat is around 4300 with trailer.

Any info would be great! Looking at both Class A and Class C right now, but not sure which one we like better.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-23-2009, 12:30 AM Reply   
like a fun mover?
Old     (dan_lorenze)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-23-2009, 6:38 AM Reply   
I have a 34' Class A Fleetwood bounder that I tow my Mastercraft with, tows no problem and climbs good too.. Most class A's have a higer tow rating than class C's. The fun begins when you launch and retrieve the boat...
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-23-2009, 6:39 AM Reply   
I am looking hard at buying an RV soon too, and I ride dirtbikes (offroad) and have a wakeboat too. I'm looking at class A for more room, and I've read here & elsewhere that class C's don't tow nearly as well as A's.

I don't know about out west, but around here there are very few places I could use both the bikes and the boat in the same immediate area, so it would be one or the other. Still, it would be really nice to have a dualsported bike to use as a dinghy. I am also looking into putting a receiver hitch on the front of the RV so I can put a bike or two up there.
Old    pdxWAKE.com            06-23-2009, 7:36 AM Reply   
I had a motorhome similar to Daniels and it will tow just fine. You want to make sure the hitch is rated for 5K and make sure your weight ratings are going to allow you to. Most Class A's will do the 5K no problem. Most Class C's are rated for 3500 lbs, but you will find the occasional one. It will slow down a bit on hills, but not bad. I had the Chevy Workhorse 8.1 and most of the time you never knew it was back there except for seeing it in the camera...
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-23-2009, 7:40 AM Reply   
Had both Class A and Class C. Currently have Class A and will never go back. 5000# towing capacity and you never know the Cobalt is back there. Installed a hitch on the front of the chassis for launching and retrieving on the ramp. Takes more time to switch it around in the lot, but makes a world of diff on the ramp. Our MH is 38'.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-23-2009, 8:09 AM Reply   
I am in the same boat as Trace. Looking hard at a slightly used Class A. Anyone know of something send me an e-mail. We will go as high as 50k for the right unit.

Sorry for the highjack!
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-23-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
I drive a 32' Class A with a Malibu 23 and I definitely know it's back there. Most class A's I've been in and seen the tow rating aren't as high as some are saying. I know both mine and my brothers aren't rated at 5k, the hitch is, but the MH isn't. It still tows just fine, but struggles a little up hills.
Old    pdxWAKE.com            06-23-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
My 32 Fleetwood had a 5Klb tow hitch and the GCVW allowed for about 5-6K on a normal load.
Get the workhorse not the ford... Much better for towing.
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-23-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
^^^^^ Not anymore. The newer Ford chassis has the V10 @365 horse and a 5 speed auto. Thats what mine has and can pull circles around my previous unit with Workhorse.

A good point has been made though to not only look at the hitch rating, but more importantly is the GCWR. Thats what the brakes on the MH is what can limit this.

You may have a 5000# hitch, but if the MH weighs 22000 and the GCWR is 26000, then you should only tow 4000.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       06-23-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
i have a 40 foot Newell Coach (class A), it has a 500hp Detroit diesel. (see profile pic)

this coach is rated for towing 25,000 pounds!

the coach weighs 38,000 pounds, the Nascar race teams use these coaches to tow their cars.

just get a diesel Motorhome, it will tow way more than a gas Motorhome and be better on gas.

look at Newell Coaches, Beaver Coaches, and Prevosts, they are expensive, but you can get really good deals theses days on those coaches.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       06-23-2009, 9:48 AM Reply   
seriously though, get a diesel.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-23-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/706882.html?1245105729
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-23-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
I see a few Cummins around here in my price range (up to ~$40k), but I personally think a gasser is a better choice for my uses. I have no plans to tow more than 5k lbs, I won't be towing my boat into the mountains, maintenance is a lot cheaper, and if I do blow something in the drivetrain it's not going to hurt the wallet nearly as much.

You also get a lot more features for the money, and I really doubt the fuel economy is much better. It would have to be considerably better to justify the additional purchase & maint cost.

Does anyone have any real-world fuel economy numbers between say a V10 Ford and 5.9 Cummins in a ~34' coach? I would guess the Ford gets around 10-11 mpg, and the Cummins maybe 13.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       06-23-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
seriously, get a diesel. way more power.

get the Cummins diesel or the Chevy Duramax Diesel, over the Ford or Chevy gas V8.

you'll thank me later.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-23-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
Jack, diesels are overrated. Ya you get more towing power, but a V10 does good also and you can use that 10k for the diesel option and get a better MH.
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-23-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
If you get a gasser, dont plan on getting 10-11mpg towing. My Ford chassis gets around 8.5-9 when fully loaded, but drops to about 7 if towing the boat. Diesel gonna get you around 11-12 when towing. If towing less than 5K and doing less than 15K miles per year its hard to justify the extra expense of a diesel.
Old     (family_deckhand)      Join Date: May 2008       06-23-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
I have small Class C 23ft RV. I tow a 21.5 wakeboard boat, 08 x15, and it does just fine. Its not crazy fast up hill but it does the job.

I can't imagine how you larger class A guys get the boat launched and retrieved. I do fine with small RV, but a bus seems like a whole different story.

I have always been told that unless you are "full time" on the road or you don't let the RV sit months at a time a diesel is nice to have. If you only use the RV a dozen or so times a year than you want to go with gas. Somthing about the sitting being unused can cause problems for the diesel engine.?

I agree the diesel power would be great.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-23-2009, 1:38 PM Reply   
I'd go with a gasser unless you are going to use it all the time. If you use 9 MPG for gasser and 12 for deisel you will only save about $100 for every 3K miles driven. It would take you at that rate it would take you 100 years to recoop your 10K additional investment. I would love a deisel personally, but could never justify the additional cost, I would rather get a newer MH with the different. I have a 33 ft Class with a ford powertrain, not the most powerful, but does the job everytime.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       06-23-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
diesels are not overrated, i have one, its amazing, so much raw power.

do what you want, but diesel would do a better job.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-23-2009, 3:39 PM Reply   
Jack aren't you 15? Not trying to be rude. A diesel would be nice, but they come with a much steeper price tag.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-23-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
Jack, for me having a diesel would be a waste of money because I only use mine less than 10 times a year, and definetely aint towing 25k pounds. I'd rather take the extra cash and get some pop outs instead a diesel. It might take me an extra hour per trip since I cant go as fast, but I'll have a nicer MH with the money saved by going gas.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-23-2009, 4:03 PM Reply   
Jack isn't even old enough to drive by himself!
Old     (da_mose)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-23-2009, 4:29 PM Reply   
My 85 Class A Winnebago dose just fine pulling my Supra thats around 4800lbs with gear, I pull the pass at 35mph no problem but that big block burns tons of gas, Get a Diesel pusher if you can.

Upload
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       06-23-2009, 5:06 PM Reply   
first off, i'm not trying to be an ass, i'm just saying, get the gas if your not using it much.

i have a driver's license thank you, and because i'm 15 makes it so i don't know anything?

wow. i was stating my opinion. but its cool.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-23-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
Buy a Jayco Seneca with the Duramax and never look back - they're incredable.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-23-2009, 6:19 PM Reply   
Jack, ignoring your age and driving experience level, not to mention the fact that you did not write the check for your dad's $250k+ rig, you need to work on supporting your recommendations with facts or at least opinions. Sorry, but "seriously though, get a diesel" from a stranger on the web isn't good enough for me.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-23-2009, 6:50 PM Reply   
I'm not reading this whole thread, but after seeing a 15 year old post about buying a gas burner to tow all it's weight AND a 4000# boat, buy a diesel. They're made to work hard and cannot be compared to a gas burning engine.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       06-23-2009, 7:12 PM Reply   
TQ is talking about the exact thing i was trying to.

duramax diesel in the seneca, thats what we almost bought.

everyone is beatn' up on me, i was just giving an opinion, everyone chill out.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
Bluebird bus with a Cummins turbo diesel! Built like a tank, will do 80 mph with the governer taken off and you can make the interior what ever you want. You also save about a gazillion dollars. Towing the boat will be no problem!!
Old     (tige22ityper)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-23-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
The wife and I looked at a Damon Outlaw tonight. Here is the link.

http://www.damonrv.com/motorhomes/outlaw/construction/paint/

Very cool coach!! Very pricey though, but the features are no less than incredible! The garage area is great and there is a seprate sleeping area above the garage.

Would probably use it for hauling the kids race stuff a bit more than the boat or vice versa...lol....not really sure yet. It only comes with gas no diesel option which is fine. I am not really partial to either one. Just tough to stomach the cost right now.....even though the local dealers are scrambling to dump inventory.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-23-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
I was looking at a motorhome a lot last year. I decided that I didn't want to be camping somewhere with the boat and have to pick up/unhook everytime I got done with the boat. Think about how much of a pain that would be. I would suggest renting a motorhome and try it out before you commit and buy. Actually, if you are not going to use it a ton, I would just rent a motorhome everytime you go. Check out this site if you want to rent in Arizona (individual people's RV's - probably a website like this in every state)...
http://www.ownersrental.com/
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-23-2009, 9:25 PM Reply   
Jack, I was not attacking you. Your age aside there are lots of other considerations about buying a unit. If money was no object, I still wouldn't buy the 40ft unit because of parking issues where we live and boat. I looked at the Jayco Seneca but they are ridiculous up here still. I can pick up a beautiful 05/06 36 ft Class A loaded with leather and a Workhorse Chassis 8.1 Chev with low miles for under $50. You are not going to find a comparable diesel coach for double that price. I can buy another new boat for the price difference. Like I said, nothing against your age and knowledge, but your real experience is lacking. One day you will understand Grasshopper!!
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       06-23-2009, 9:54 PM Reply   
alright dude, its cool, i understand, get what fits you best.

i just don't like being beat up on.

goodluck with buying it. in this economy i hope you make a hell of a deal.
Old     (tige22ityper)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-23-2009, 11:12 PM Reply   
Yeah, I agree on the renting one. I have been with friends that have them, and rarely, if at all do they have to unhook/pick up once they are at a campsite. They just grab someone elses truck to retrieve the boat. Offer a guy $10 or to stop by and grab some beers and they readily let them use their rig to get the boat. I have had a few guys ask to use my truck that had coaches, I don't mind...I have even gone and taken their boat out for them. Pay it forward I guess....its all about having fun at the campgrounds.

We would most likely use it more for race weekends when we travel to regional events, and also just camping in general and we can throw other toys in the back like bikes, dirt bikes, etc. The boat won't always go with us. I think used is the way to go though. Amazing how much these toy haulers depreciate after a year or two.......
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-23-2009, 11:27 PM Reply   
and jack keeps coming back for more. YOUR DADS SETUP IS SICK. Get a job, and a starter set up(97 f150 96 i/o) and listen to 15year old talk about THEIR stuff and not laugh. Good luck homie....