Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (travis_d)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-03-2009, 4:06 PM Reply   
What are the significant differences in handling between Inboards and I/O? On some videos I noticed that the Inboard had problems backing up and turning port, due to an offset rudder. What are the major differences between the two when entering/leaving the dock and handling while towing?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-03-2009, 4:27 PM Reply   
Drive one of each and you'll know there is a huge difference in many areas.
I/O and Outboard power and steer from behind the last point of drag on the hull. The drive angle can be adjusted with trim, and when running at speed you can lift most of the hull out of the water and run on the leg.
The result is that a sterndrive can get a high top speed and use not too much fuel doing it because there is less drag.
In Inboard has a hull designed to move smoothly through the water because they can't eliminate the drag as much. They get better economy at slower cruising speeds. When starting off or towing the power and steering being closer to the center stops the boat from moving as much due to external forces. Hence less bow rise and better tracking.
I find entering and leaving the dock easier with in inboard than with a sterndrive unless there is a strong wind. Then you can do it just as easily, unless you make a mistake. There is a technique and the I/O lets you recover more easily.
The difficulty with an inboard in reverse is not the offset of the rudder. It's that the rudder is sized to have water flowing past it at speed. When the prop is not pushing water past the rudder is not as effective. At idle there is no flow past the rudder in reverse so there is no turning force applied.
Old     (mikes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-03-2009, 4:37 PM Reply   
The boat not turning to port is due to prop rotation. My boat backs to port just fine.Starboard, well that's another story! It's all in the tecnique. A properly experienced inboard operator can reverse navigate to port or starboard with precision, but it takes practice.
Old     (matt03384)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-09-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
Yeah I have an i/o and i'm trying to perfect the wake. I want it as big as possible, I have 2 350lbs sac's, and I always thought you put them in the rear, but after reading some other posts people say to put one in the walkway and one in the bow, is this correct? also my max weight is supposed to be 1150lbs, I surpass this by a lot, is this extremely dangerous?Upload
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-09-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
If your maximum weight is 1150# then that's the rated weight of people, gear, beer, and sacs or anything else you've put in, like your ipod or manual. The rated weight allows for bad driving and unexpected conditions and is calculated by a couple of different formulas. In theory you could put in about 7 times the rated weight and the boat would still float if there was not a ripple on the lake and it was perfectly loaded. That's the maximum total displacement.
Overloading the boat will make it hard to handle and much more likely to get swamped. It might void your insurance or be the cause of a ticket. Those are choices.
It is common for people on this forum to overload their boat. If it's over 20' it does not need a capacity plate because the powers that be figure the skipper is capable of taking that responsibility on himself.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-09-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
Oh, and try the sacs in the front and waklkway, then trim up 1/4 once you're at speed.
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-10-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
Upload