Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-20-2005, 8:53 PM Reply   
Hey folks. Just wondering how long it takes to get back to riding for a separated shoulder. I fell yesterday on a Slob 3 and felt a little pain. As the day progressed it got worse & worse. Now the doc says I got a 2nd degree separation of my right shoulder. I was planning on riding all next weekend. Any ideas on if this is possible or not? I'm icing & wearing my sling because dammit I wanna ride!

(Message edited by Stephan on May 20, 2005)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-20-2005, 9:32 PM Reply   
I would try to do anything that doesn't hurt. Maybe keep both hands on the handle. Front hand or back hand?

Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-20-2005, 10:09 PM Reply   
Stephan,
Sucks that this happened in the spring, but you might wanna take some time to let it heal. Once you suffer an AC separation, your shoulder gets weak and you are more likely to suffer another, even years later. I've done mine twice ('93 and Feb '03). It's like a lot of injuries, if you invest in proper healing and rehab right now, it will pay off for the rest of your life. I took a good bit of time off this last time I did it, and there were contests I really wanted to train for. I think I rode maybe after 8 weeks and my physical therapist called it "unwise." With hardcore rehab I was back full strength by maybe 4-5 months.
I would try to get a referral for some physical therapy if I were you, even if just for a few sessions to learn the basics and get some exercises that you can do on your own. If you get some power bands and work on your lower traps and lats, it will make a HUGE difference, but you must have somebody show you how to do it properly. Don't screw around with your future, bro. When you're an old fart like me, you're gonna want your body still to be solid enough to ride, and if you get impatient now and don't respect an injury, you likely will suffer down the road.
This all depends on the severity, and different clinicians will use the "level 2" rating differently, but in most cases this indicates a moderately severe injury. Not like your arm is ripped out of the socket, but still nothing to trifle with.
Good luck with it.
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-20-2005, 10:33 PM Reply   
Did mine MX, took 6 weeks. Do creepy crawlers up the wall and back down. When you can do those with no pain your good to go. If you push it early I was told you'll develop scar tissue and that can give you problems.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-21-2005, 12:49 AM Reply   
Yeah, the creepy crawlers are good, but that's just to regain your range of motion. Also just as important or more to build up those lower traps and lats, because it takes pressure off the damaged area once you start to use it again. Maybe you young guys can get away with less rehab for now. I thought the same in '93 the first time I did it. You pay later on.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-21-2005, 3:20 AM Reply   
Dammit!! This always happens to me! Last year I busted my big toe in early June. I'm pretty bummed because all off season I was lifting & working on dynamic exercises to make my shoulders and back stronger. We'll see how it feels, I'm writing this at 3:19am because it hurt so bad it woke me up. back to sleepy now.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-21-2005, 10:38 AM Reply   
I wrote this same thing on another post, but I seperated my shoulder in February, went to a regular doctor, he put it in this crazy brace so I couldnt move it and I babied the hell out of it for 10 days ,after that I stretched and lifted light weights for a week and I was back snowboarding at near 100% within three weeks from when I hurt it. I have been wakeboarding since early march with NO problems at all. It sucks sitting out but I think its worth it to heal it up right. good luck:-)
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-21-2005, 7:03 PM Reply   
early march? where at park? i was still in "the park" till mid april
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-22-2005, 7:39 AM Reply   
In between all the rain there were some really nice days down in Sacramento early season, with a drysuit it was no problem to ride in March, I was also in "the park" til about a week ago.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-22-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
Sounds like the recovery time can vary significantly based upon the severity of the injury, which in your case we do not know. If you were working out a lot prior to your injury, it will aid a great deal in your recovery. I feel ya dude, most of my worst wakeboard injuries have been in May, and two years in a row I suffered a season-ending snowboard crash in late Jan/early Feb just as things were starting to click (one was the aforementioned level two AC separation). Again, good luck with it.
Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-22-2005, 1:53 PM Reply   
I seprated mine 3 degrees and had the option on surgery but didnt get it. It took mine about 3 and a half months to stop hurting when I moved it, and another 2 months to heal properly. The only reason I remember this is because I hurt mine the begining off spring and sat out all summer up until November. And it still hurts to this day when I do certain things.
But with a 2 degree seperation you might be looking at around 2 to 4 months depending if you do anything or not. If I were you I wouldn't ride next weekend and just let your shoulder heal. That was my mistake. Also I would get a MIR done to see how sercious the injury is.
Iceing it won't really help it either I tired everything I could it just takes time.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-22-2005, 8:10 PM Reply   
Yeah I'm probably not going to do any riding for a couple weeks. It might be a blessing in disguise, maybe concentrate on school for a little while. This injury has gotten me kinda scared, more so than a stinkin broke bone. My dad has had 6 surgeries on his houlder & I know what can be involved. Anyhow thanks for all the help & parkgirl, will you marry me?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-02-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
Well I wanted to come on here & say I haven't followed anyone's advice. I rode over Memorial and rode well, it was a little sore but not too bad. I also rode this morning and felt great. Wakeboarding motion doesn't hurt it & when I eat it I just tuck it in and grab on with my free arm. Heck I even landed two TS 5's this morning and felt awesome. Anyhow, doctor next week and then I'll rest or whatever when he says so.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2005, 1:18 PM Reply   
Stephan... I did the same thing a couple years ago and never followed the advice to stay off it. It pretty much hurt all summer, but not when I was riding. Every once in a while I'd fall funny and come up in pain and un able to move my arm. I kinda took it easy for the winter and I've never had pain again. Hopefully you'll be the same way.

Incidently, I also cut out a lot of the heavy lifting at the gym around the same time. I still work out, but reps instead of heavy weight. Shoulders have been mostly good since then.