Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old    morribd            09-27-2003, 3:17 PM Reply   
I noticed from watching the Vans Triple Crown on TV that a lot of the Pros were wearing knees braces. Is this from injury or are the pros wearing knee braces for extra protection. Similar to how linemen in football wear knee braces for extra protection.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-27-2003, 3:32 PM Reply   
most do it because they had a previous knee injury (mainly acls). Grubb had a neoprene thing on, but that really just keeps your knee warm and doesn't support it...I don't know why he wears it. I don't know of any pros that wear one of the expensive knee braces "just for protection" so to speak (meaning without any previous injury). Interestingly enough,watson tore his acl twice (I think it was the same one) and his knee is strong enough to where he doesn't wear a brace anymore. Anyway, I hope that helps.
Old    blr            09-27-2003, 4:08 PM Reply   
Cobe has one from a previous knee injury, at least that's what he said.
Old    morribd            09-27-2003, 7:28 PM Reply   
I noticed specifically that Danny Harf and Parks Bonifay were wearing knee braces, but I haven't notice that either of the two of them have missed any of the Pro Tour stops or the Vans Triple Crown stops. I figured if they had torn an acl they would have been out for at least 6-8 weeks and we (wakeworld community) would have known about it. I was just curious about this because my front leg knee (riding regular) hurts sometimes after making a few big wake-2-wake jumps.
Old     (afrodeziak)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-27-2003, 7:35 PM Reply   
Im pretty sure Harf was out last year, maybe not durign the tour, with knee injuries
Old    tfdhyprider            09-27-2003, 8:13 PM Reply   
yeah harf took out his acl last year. i think he mist one event. maybe 2
Old    tfdhyprider            09-27-2003, 8:14 PM Reply   
he rode during x-games and that was right a/f he had just torn it, but of course once again he kicked butt.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-27-2003, 9:24 PM Reply   
Danny and Shane had ACL surgery right after Worlds last year. Danny rode several contests with a blown ACL and still killed it. This year he has worn the brace some stops and not at others.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-27-2003, 9:37 PM Reply   
cortizone?
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-29-2003, 6:59 AM Reply   
BALLS. Those tears hurt.
Old    stinkey            09-29-2003, 7:16 AM Reply   
"I was just curious about this because my front leg knee (riding regular) hurts sometimes after making a few big wake-2-wake jumps"

Brian

I am the same way. My front knee always hurts after I ride, lift weights (working legs). Why is that?? I dont want to jack my knee up anymore.
Old    blr            09-29-2003, 8:26 AM Reply   
you need to go have your knee scoped and cleaned up. most likely you have some torn cartiledge. It's real easy to recover from, your usually off your feet for 24 hours and full recovery in about a week. It's much easier than an ACL, MCL or reconstructive surgery and is well worth it. I have 3 reconstructions and 9 or so scopes (clean ups) and will do another in december. It's well worth it!
Old    stormrider            09-29-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
Sore knees? Been there. I ride 2-4 times a week. Try switching boards. I went from a 02 Trips Balsa to Zues bindings and an 03 Absolute. Little or no knee soreness. Casing the other wake feels like I'm landing on sponges.
Old    dagger            09-29-2003, 11:16 AM Reply   
You need to be careful how many times you have your knee "cleaned up". Every time they do that they are cutting out Meniscus (Definition -cartilage that acts as a cushion between the ends of bones that meet in a joint). This is needed to some extent to prevent pain and injury down the road. Needless to say I have a small tear in my left MCL and have had surgery in my right knee. My brace is in the mail!
http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail.lasso?cat=13&man=EVS&sku=EV_Co8rD&-session=buywake:4B4A63458C58BA4BC85EA3E8C58B4889