Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-07-2013, 11:04 AM Reply   
Well, we've made the cycle...

Like a handful of you out there, our first boat was an i/o. We put a tower on it, threw a sac in it, played with the trim, and had fun for a year... but the time to upgrade is drawing close. Although we don't have any boats in mind, one thing is for certain, we'll need to sell our current boat before we buy another one. What's easiest way to do that?? In town we have a few dealerships that occasionally have used boats that are in our price range. One dealer for sure takes trade-ins and a few others use wholesalers to accomplish the same task. I know we need to sell it on our own to maximize our selling price, but I don't want to sit on it forever and potentially watch our next boat get sold before we're ever ready. I also know that buying a used boat during the off-season will give us a better purchase price but there's also a good chance the boat we're trying to sell will go for less as well. Has anyone gone through this recently? I've been going over it in my head for the past few weeks

*Forgot to mention, our current boat is paid off, the purchase of the new (to us) boat will be in cash.

Last edited by petrie141; 05-07-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-07-2013, 11:17 AM Reply   
craigslist. Take lots of good, high quality pics. Learn yerself a little HTML (i.e. google "html image tag") so you can imbed the pics in the ad. My last boat sold 90 minutes after posting on craigslist that way. Probably had 30 high res pics so the buyer knew what he was looking at before he called.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-07-2013, 11:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
craigslist. Take lots of good, high quality pics. Learn yerself a little HTML (i.e. google "html image tag") so you can imbed the pics in the ad. My last boat sold 90 minutes after posting on craigslist that way. Probably had 30 high res pics so the buyer knew what he was looking at before he called.
I've got html knowledge, pics, video, the whole 9 yards ready for the internet if we end up listing it! Good call
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-07-2013, 11:46 AM Reply   
It would seem that off season buying would be beneficial but the problem with that is inventory. It's not like cars where there are always a ton of them available. I have yet to buy a boat from a dealer but the online ads dry up during the off season which can also drive prices up. The most important thing is to get what you want and when there are only a few boats available you may find your standards dropping which you will regret with buyer's remorse later. I know this from experience. The problem with selling before buying is that you can end up without a boat for a while unless you settle for what's available. I know you don't want a boat payment but if you can borrow the value of your old boat (be careful not to over value it) then you can be sure that you always have a boat and hopefully only have a boat loan for a brief time. Of course you also need to be able to keep two boats stored for a bit as well so it helps if you've got family or a friend that has a place that you can keep the new boat for a few if you don't have room for two boats at home. Trading into a dealer takes care of all of this but you are going to pay more and sell for less because you've got a middle man that needs a profit on both boats and he'll take a chunk from you. I'm sure they give good trade-in prices for savvy buyers purchasing 80K new boats but if you're spending 30 or less the dealer is definitely going to stick it to you on your trade.
Old     (boardnxtx)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-07-2013, 12:03 PM Reply   
I see no harm in taking it to the dealer that has the boat you want and see what they'll do on a trade. Worst case, you thank them for their time and tell em you'll be back when your boat sells. I agree that you will likely get less than you want, but what if its just slightly less? Worth it? Give it a shot and see what happens...
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-07-2013, 12:08 PM Reply   
I'd bet that if you were buying a boat from a dealer they would help you sell your current boat by posting pics etc of it at their dealership. Mine did.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-07-2013, 12:10 PM Reply   
I'm with Eric that is my plan ... i'm just waiting for the perfect boat to come along and i will jump on it with a loan... sell my boat and then just pay off the loan. great plan.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-07-2013, 12:13 PM Reply   
I remember my dealer telling me they had people come by all the time looking for used boats. He said it was because of the convenient financing they offered and/or they didn't have enough money to buy new. FWIW
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-07-2013, 12:14 PM Reply   
I think Eric's plan is great too.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-07-2013, 12:17 PM Reply   
Do you have to pay sales tax where you live? If so your trade in deduct from your sales tax you have to pay. You should only have to pay the tax on the difference. If that is the case the extra you might make off of selling it yourself. I have no idea what your tax rate(if any) is or what your boat is worth but let's say you think your boat is worth 10k to sell and they offer 8k on trade in you would save yourself about $800 in tax(at Seattle's 10% tax rate). Maybe $1200 isn't worth the hastle of trying to sell yourself. The other thing you could try to get your dealer to up his offer on your trade or lower the sell price of the boat you are buying is to say you want to buy the boat they have but you need to sell yours first. Maybe if they really want to move the boat on their lot they will bring the prices of the trade in and other boat closer together.

I would suggest doing some research to find out what you think your boat is realistically worth. Compare NADA to similar listed boats. Then when you find the boat you want to consider buying figure out how much it is worth that way you know what both are worth when you start negotiating. Sometimes dealers will play games with you and give you a higher value on your trade in but then sell the boat to you for top dollar. Or they will keep the trade in offer the same and drop the boat from a preinflated price to make it seem like they are helping you out. Try and come up with a price where the dealer can make a little money on your boat and you get a fair price on the boat you are buying.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-07-2013, 12:18 PM Reply   
If you post it on craigslist, try to post it in multiple cities. I see that it is an 18ft Sea Ray with a 4.3L. If priced right, it should be easy to sell and quickly. Those are great leisure boats.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-07-2013, 12:25 PM Reply   
I have done the exact thing Eric described on my last two boats. I like shopping for long periods of time to find the right deal but I don’t want to be boat less so when I find the right deal I just finance it and then put the old boat on the market. I bought my new boat in November of last year and sold the old boat in April but it was worth it to sell at the better time of year. I intentionally financed a little more than the value of my old boat this time just to keep a little more cash in my pocket but it will be paid off within a year and I am comfortable with that.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-07-2013, 12:28 PM Reply   
Polar most states allow you to deduct a recent sale from a like vehicle from the new vehicles sales tax. At least that is the case in MO. If i sell my truck Private party for 20k and go buy a new truck for 25k i only pay tax on 5k of the new vehicle.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-07-2013, 12:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
Polar most states allow you to deduct a recent sale from a like vehicle from the new vehicles sales tax. At least that is the case in MO. If i sell my truck Private party for 20k and go buy a new truck for 25k i only pay tax on 5k of the new vehicle.
I haven't heard of being able to do that. I don't think you can in Washington but maybe I am wrong?
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-07-2013, 12:33 PM Reply   
Trade in on another used boat is not usually a good deal for you. You'll get less than market value for sure.

Go craigslist or if the boat is nice, consignment is an option. You'll pay a fee of 10-15% but dealers can often command a higher price. And you avoid the hassle of dealing with all the craigslist beauties that waste your time.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-07-2013, 12:37 PM Reply   
Pretty sure it is. That is how the dealer accomplishes the same thing they just do the paperwork for you and you assume its a special dealer thing. How else could the dealer have the right to do it and not a private seller. Dealers must have good lobbyists in your state if thats the case.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-07-2013, 1:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
Pretty sure it is. That is how the dealer accomplishes the same thing they just do the paperwork for you and you assume its a special dealer thing. How else could the dealer have the right to do it and not a private seller. Dealers must have good lobbyists in your state if thats the case.
You may be correct but I am pretty sure that doesn't happen in Washington. The only way to get around it is to have a private buyer lined up and work a deal with the dealer to take your vehicle in on trade for the agreed on price with the buyer. The buyer will then buy the vehicle from the dealer the same day. My guess is not all dealers will do this.

Selling a vehicle then buying a new one is different than trading one in on a another. One is 2 transactions while the other is basically a single transaction. Since the dealer is a tax exempt reseller they don't pay sales tax anyways.

I don't doubt that Missouri allows this as I found it on another forum but I have a hard time believing most states do. State governments want their money and they will do what they can to get it. By not allowing individuals to do this but allow it for dealers on trade ins they are helping drive the sale of new cars/business.

Some of the info I read even says Cali doesn't allow anything for your trade in, even at a dealer. You pay tax on the full amount of the vehicle purchased whether you have a trade in or not. It could of been BS but my fiance jsut bought a new car here in washington and the dealer said lawmakers here are trying to do the same thing as I just explained in Cali.

Last edited by polarbill; 05-07-2013 at 1:13 PM.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-07-2013, 1:20 PM Reply   
Why not post it to onlyinboards.com and boattrader.com too? I have experienced a lot of SCAMS on CraigsList. I get more legitimate leads through BoatTrader.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-07-2013, 4:43 PM Reply   
Might as well try trading it. I did this last fall. We tried to sell out boat and weren't having any luck. We took it to a local inboard dealer to sell on consignment as they do alot of that. While it was there as had them give me a trade number. Trade was way lower that the listed price on consignment(as expected). Didn't have any hits so when I went to grab it to put it away for the winter I gave another dealer a try. He gave me what I was asking on consignment on trade and a better deal on a boat than the other place. Pays to shop around. Might as well try it. All it costs you is a little gas and a hour or two. If the numbers don't work then take your boat home. Selling stuff regardless of what site or method you use is a pain in the butt. Stupid questions, no show buyers, tire kickers, lowballs, people who want you to finance them. You will get them all. Trading is so much easier. Most places if you buy from a dealer even used you will pay tax, so as said above there is tax savings with your trade. Might as well try it.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-07-2013, 5:48 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the feedback! I ended up calling a dealer and asking what they would give me for mine. It turns out they were very close to what I thought i could get for it on my own! Now it's just up to the boss lady, lord knows what she'll say. Here's the boat I ended up finding today, anyone every owned one of these?

99 Sunsetter VLX w/ tower
450 hours
Monster tower
bimini, cd player, yadda yadda yadda
no wedge
Just shy of $20K

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-07-2013, 6:05 PM Reply   
I would run a scan on the engine in any pre owned boat I was buying, we really cant tell if its worth 20k without a few more pics, and close ups. Has it ever been in salt water is a good thing to know before buying also. I would trade in the I/O, its better to take a bit less, then be without a boat! I swore I would never be without a boat again!
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-07-2013, 6:24 PM Reply   
FYI- Malibu's in that era had the hydro-box, a serious engineering blunder by Malibu.

The Malibu is a solid boat, but you are going to want a wedge, I don't think they have any ballast plumbed in, and if they do it's not nearly enough if you are an intermediate rider. If I bought that boat I would be looking at about 3k in essentials/random stuff before I would be content with a V-drive. Monster towers are not bad, but I cannot say I am a huge fan. I think you can keep looking and find just as good if not better deals for 20k-ish.

Last edited by hco; 05-07-2013 at 6:27 PM. Reason: More details
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-07-2013, 6:37 PM Reply   
Bump the budget up to 27.5k and get you a newer boat you can use for years. It is a 300/month payment which isnt that bad and get something you are happy with for a few years. Trust me, you will be more happy in the end.
Old     (jillyjam)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-08-2013, 9:33 AM Reply   
My 2006 XStar has been a champ and has surprisingly held its retail value. Looking to upgrade to a new XStar this summer with silver and red metal flakes.
Old     (jsmilez321)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-08-2013, 3:36 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I was in the same situation last August. I found a great deal on a 2009 axis A22 and had a 2000 supra launch DD. I posted it on Craigslist and Onlyinboards. How I did the Craigslist adds I posted them all over the state of TN. Yes it was very tedious, but my persistence paid off. I sold for just a little less than I wanted to, but sold the boat in 4 days. I already had a verbal agreement with the guy who had the axis in Indiana and it worked out perfectly. Sold the boat Thursday morning drove and picked up the Axis Friday morning. On the water with the wife and friends Saturday! Couldn't have planned it any better, but when I found the deal I did I had to jump and the only way I really wanted to finance the boat was with a 50% down payment so I had to sell mine before I bought the Axis. It was definately a stressful week but I'm in my dream boat at 28!! So good luck and keep hunting. I would not have an Axis (Malibu) without the wedge it's definately gives a nice lip to the wake.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-08-2013, 4:36 PM Reply   
+1 on bumping the budget up a bit. Ours was only 10 yrs old when we bought it but time flies and all of a sudden we have a 15 yr old boat. Still runs great but I wish it had some of the newer design features. That plus the fact I spent a lot putting a new tower, perfect pass and prop on. Wish I had spent another 5-7K and bought something 5-6 yrs newer.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-09-2013, 5:08 AM Reply   
Www.searchtempest.com

Thank me later.
Old     (tdickman4)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-10-2013, 5:07 AM Reply   
We sold our i/o at the end of last season and bought a supra in the off season. Best decision ever
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-10-2013, 5:21 AM Reply   
http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...he-one-for-me/

Scroll through the latter part of this thread. There are some good finds in there.