Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-27-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
I am heading to St John and St Thomas for a few days. Was planning on taking my wakeboard and hopefully finding somewhere to rent a boat. Also taking a kite.. Has anyone ever gone there before and rented any kind of boat or jetski? Is there any kind of wake or kite board scene?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-28-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
I've windsurfed off of the eastern side of the St. Thomas and it was good. It was a really nice Stouffer resort at the time, but it's something else now. They had a full service rental shop with all kinds of boards(pre kite days). I've also sailed St. Johns and all over the BVI's, but mostly off of a boat. Kiting there would be very, very good especally in the Sir Francis Drake Channel.
Yes, you can probably rent anything you want, but I am not sure if I would bother. The sailing is pretty good and I am sure they would stick it to the tourists. Be careful not to get ripped off.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-28-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
My family has a place over in at Cabrita Point which is over by Red Hook past the Ritz Carlton. If you were to take the ferry over to St.John our places are the two upstairs units on the far left of the condo's on the peninsula leaving Red Hook There is a surf shack on Vesup beach I think it's called. The only other board style shop is in Havensite which is where the cruise ships dock. I don't believe havensite rents anything, it's more of a board store. The shack at Vesup does have a couple wakeboards as far as I remember but definately have kites you can rent for the day. As far as a boat to take you out you would have to find something in Red Hook. The board shop on Vesup has Surf boards, Kite boards, windsurf, sailboats, and like I said I think they had a couple wakeboards.

Hope that helps.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-28-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
St John is one of my favorite spots - my sister will actually be there for a few weeks in august.

You will probably have better luck renting something on st. thomas (its a lot more touristy). When we go, this is where we rent a jeep and take it over to st john on a car fairy.

There isn't a whole lot to do on st. john except to chill. If you are taking a kite, there are a ton of cool beaches there with hardly any people on them - you will need some type of car or jeep to get to them.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-28-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
haha. I meant car ferry. not like a magical fairy that takes cars over to the other island!
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-28-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
sweet thanks for the input guys..I cant wait

CH
Old     (wakeinnc)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-01-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
I have lived in the USVI for 6 years now and windsurf/wake board as much as possible.

West Indies Windsurfing - is the shop in Vessup Bay, (literally next to Red Hook) Some good guys there that will help out. Lots of boat traffic in Red Hook so skillz would be necessary. Actually on St. Thomas the best bay for kiting would be right there at the Ritz Carlton. You can walk there from Vessup (best to shy away at night... i've heard...not fo sure...)

On St. John, Francis Bay is perfect in a truly East tradewind, which is blowing well right now. We've had a unusually windy summer, so kiting will be good. Sir Francis Drake is great compression wind, always high, but traffic and heavy chop repress its potential.

B.V.I. - Sandy Cay is great and just a $500 boat rental away. Bitter End Resort in Virgin Gorda specializes in Windsurfing/Kiting, and beach cats. North sound up @ bitter end is heaven...

Wakeboarding - is near impossible. I ride with a couple buddies on calm days (which is rare), but no wake boats. Most of St. John is off limits to riding because of the National Park. You can ski/wakeboard in the BVI's but I find a wake skate behind a dingy is the only real accessibility. Bitter End may have a boat with a tower, but fuel in The BVI's just hit $6.00/gal. No Jet skis in National Park...

Find the windsurfers... Do you know where you are staying?

Also check your wind ratings.. I had a charter guest bring two kites down this spring. 11meter and 14meter. WAY too big. We were drug off the rocks on Dead Chest Island. Typically blowing 12-17 knots ( 15-22 mph ) right now.... Plus lots of good tropical waves rolling through...

windguru.com (find bvi location)

wunderground.com (marine forecasts)
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-01-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
We kiteboarded from St Thomas to St John! You will have a blast! Didn't see anywhere to rent a wakeboat though!