Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (trentmalik)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-19-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
First child born 6-14-07. How long until you can take a new born out on the lake? For those of you that have, how long did you stay out on the water? How did you keep the child cool enough? thanks for the advise
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-19-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
Congrats on the kiddo....The wife babysits and I ride....Case closed.
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-19-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
Congrats man. There is nothing better than seeing your kids grow up on the boat. Our third kid should be joining us within the next 3 weeks and I plan to have her out in August.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-19-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
My friend's baby was born Mar 7th. By April 7th he had been on the water 11 times. And march is not a warm month here in Washington.

Baby's hearing is up 10db from a 30 year old's hearing. So what that means is that everything will seem to be twice as loud to a new born. Some of these insane boat stereos, especially the Pro-Audio tower speakers exceed well into the hearing loss arena. Please exercise care with your newborn.
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-19-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
My son was born on July 29, 2005 and he was going for a slow boat ride on July 31, 2005.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-19-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
we had both our kids on the boat since 2 months old.. we found the best thing was to use the infant carrier/car seat on the floor when it was nice and smooth.. both kids would fall asleep so fast and easily on the boat. Make sure they are drinking alot since its warm out and keep them in the shade.
Old     (trentmalik)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-19-2007, 10:33 AM Reply   
Thanks. The only thing I worry about is that I live in Texas and most summer days its 100 degrees out. Keeping out of the sun won't be a big deal, its the keeping him cool that I worry about. My goal is to have him on the surf board with me by the age of two.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-19-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
Keep a wet towel over him or a wet pillow case in the shade. I think you should be okay there as long as he doesn't get too hot. Congratulations. There is nothing like having a child, the lack of sleep (he he he), and the opportunity to see that child learn things.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-19-2007, 1:27 PM Reply   
Trent: There is a thread a few topics up about "How to keep amps cool." Maybe look in there for some ideas.

Kidding, congrats.
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-19-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
We had our girl out at 11 days old. Call us crazy but she just turned 2 and if anyone says “Boat” anywhere in a conversation she runs to her room and grabs her life vest and says “Boat, Boat, Boat” We took her out every weekend. It is a little tough to put a life vest on an infant, so we strapped the life vest all around the car seat. Obviously if anything were to happen, she would be the first thing I would go after.

I would definitely keep your child out of the sun and when it is 100 I do not know if I would go out in the middle of the day. You can always go at 5:00 in the morning… you will be up anyway changing dippers and feeding…. HAHAHAHA

The little one just turned 2 and on her B-day I took her surfing!!! You could not take the smile off either of our faces!!!!! Shoot, you still can not get the smile off my face!

Upload

(Message edited by nbeihl on June 19, 2007)
Old     (trentmalik)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-19-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
thanks for all the advise. I grew up on the water and I'm sure this little one will too.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-19-2007, 8:47 PM Reply   
so what do you use for a life vest for an infant? Funny because my wife and I had this conversation earlier today. She's not due until December so the kid will easily be 4 months before we can take it out.

Congrats on the baby bro, I got my first one one the way and its freaking scary.
Old     (asp677)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-20-2007, 12:51 AM Reply   
Took our two sons out when they about 2 months old. We used the car seat on the floor of the boat also. If you dont have bimini like me, I used a small umbrella that would attach to the carry handle of the baby seat and I bought one of those 12 volt(DC) small fans that would clamp to the handle and would blow on the kid.
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-20-2007, 2:13 AM Reply   
I used one like this. It has a handle to pull the kid out of the water if they go in and it keeps their head up out of the water.

Upload